Opinions on/knowledge of CCWSafe.com

This is a discussion on Opinions on/knowledge of CCWSafe.com within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CCWSafe.com has been advertising a lot here lately. They claim they will provide legal services (criminal or civil) for members. Only requirements seem to be ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By StevePVB
  • 1 Post By NickBurkhardt

Thread: Opinions on/knowledge of CCWSafe.com

CCWSafe.com has been advertising a lot here lately. They claim they will provide legal services (criminal or civil) for members. Only requirements seem to be paying the $99 annual fee and have a valid CCW permit. Without knowing all the fine print, there is no additional charge after they assign the lawyer (and expert witnesses).

I asked if they would provide a list of the Jacksonville area lawyers they might choose from if I needed help. They won't release the names of their lawyers in the program (don't want us to go get them individually). Sort of makes sense, but I doubt if $99 will buy much top notch legal talent when an incident might run up $50,000 in legal fees.

Does anyone have info or experience with these folks? If they are legit the price is impossible to beat. But, I have heard that old saying about if it sounds too good to be true...
    stylus likes this.

I have no idea what the total legal fees in Florida's most famous self defense shooting finally totaled, but I'll bet $50,000 just made a down payment. I doubt that you'll get that level of representation for $99 a year, and when my life is on the line, I won't be shopping in the discount aisle for an attorney.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The terms of service notes that “any money judgements rendered against a member is the responsibility of the member.” So if you shoot someone with your concealed weapon and lose the case, you’re on the hook for the payout. If you’re insured, the insurance company should cover part of the penalty. Concealed weapon carriers interested in this type of service should be aware that CCW Safe does not cover money judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    The terms of service notes that “any money judgements rendered against a member is the responsibility of the member.” So if you shoot someone with your concealed weapon and lose the case, you’re on the hook for the payout. If you’re insured, the insurance company should cover part of the penalty. Concealed weapon carriers interested in this type of service should be aware that CCW Safe does not cover money judgements.
    That makes sense. But, my concern would be the quality of lawyer they would hire that obviously has a lot do do with the results in court - criminal or civil.

Their refusal to divulge their lawyers (which obviously can change over time) is a non-starter for me.

I do understand the economics. It's insurance. Enough folks paying the $99 and not needing the service makes the money available for those that do.

New Member Array LeonardoDiCapri's Avatar
    Great sharing ...!

IMO, it sounds too good to be true. I'd have to check out the fine print a few times before signing up.

It'd be great to hear from somebody out there who was a member and actually had to use their services.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

No Cases yet

CCWSafe has been around since 2011 and has had NO, that is Zero, Cases. So no one really knows what happens if you have an incident, or what kind of legal help you will get. they say they are interested in providing top notch legal help. But so far they have provided NO legal help.
    I just joined and then found this out. I am not happy. I mean yes it is good that of their thousands of members, that none have needed the service yet.
    But still, Would you want to be the first one to try out the response?
    and yes I know this is an old thread.

Insurance is a good scam. I wonder if they are turning a profit?

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    No SD shooting incidents or no cases to trial? Having a lawyer present while you are getting grilled by the cops or the DA, then not being charged is a win.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

I would consider CCW Safe more as a service that provides you with an attorney and cover all criminal/civil trial fees. Cost is $150/year for both Mrs. Auditd0rk and me. I like the fact that if you find yourself in a situation, you call them and they dispatch an attorney from their network. I guess the important thing is to remember to keep your mouth shut in the meantime :)

I also looked at the NRA and the American Citizens Defense Network (ACDN). From my understanding, the NRA only paid civil/criminal fees AFTER the trial (and a not guilty verdict, of course). The ACDN provided $10k/$5K (criminal/civil) right up front to retain a lawyer, but was cloudy on whether any additional fees would be covered — only stated they’d identify other sources of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Fortunately here in CO we have civil immunity under Castle Doctrine, and protection under a separate statute that prohibits awards for damages sustained during the commission of a felony. If you're found justified in defending yourself, at least you don't have to worry about having to payout for a wrongful death suit against you:

C.R.S. 13-80-119. Damages sustained during commission of a felonious act or in flight from the commission of a felonious act

(1) No person, his or her estate, or his or her personal representative shall have a right to recover damages sustained during the commission of or during immediate flight from an act that is defined by any law of this state or the United States to be a felony, if the conditions stipulated in this section apply.

(2) (a) The court shall dismiss the action for damages and award attorney fees and costs to the person against whom the action was brought if the person bringing the action, on whose behalf an action has been brought, or in the case of a wrongful death action, the decedent, has been convicted of the felony or has been adjudicated a delinquent as a result of the commission of the act, unless the damage was caused by the willful and deliberate act of another person; except that such exception shall not apply if the person who caused the injuries acted:

(I) Under a reasonable belief that physical force was reasonable and appropriate to prevent injury to himself or herself or to others, using a degree of force that he or she reasonably believed necessary for that purpose; or

(II) Under a reasonable belief that physical force was reasonable and appropriate to prevent the commission of a felony, using a degree of force that he or she reasonably believed necessary for that purpose;
    "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -- Ronald Reagan

Links