NC Concealed Carry in Church

This is a discussion on NC Concealed Carry in Church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could swear I saw a law against carrying in church a while back. Looking at Handgunlaw.us, usacarry.com and searching the net I can't find ...

Thread: NC Concealed Carry in Church

Distinguished Member

NC Concealed Carry in Church

I could swear I saw a law against carrying in church a while back. Looking at Handgunlaw.us, usacarry.com and searching the net I can't find anything to back that up. Can someone help?
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

I believe it is a state by state issue.

Ksgunner is spot on. In Colorado I can carry in church, If I visit family in Nebraska I can't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    skysoldier29, NC law changed this year. What they did change was this part of their law. It use to say this:

• Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. 14-277.2

But some places were removed from the law for places you couldn't carry your legal firearm and now NC Code states This:

Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. 14-277.2

I can't find anything in the past that made Churches Off Limits in the past.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Churches are not specifically prohibited for carry.

The reason some churches were considered a prohibited area is due to many having private schools as part of the church. That is still the case that if they have a educational aspect they would still be considered off limits for carry and if they post the property you can not have it even in the vehicle like you can on public educational facilities.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    NC Bullseye, I figured with them removing "Funeral Processions" from the banned list that is what he was thinking of. Many funerals take place at Churches. You do bring up a good point though. Churches that have schools.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    NC Bullseye, I figured with them removing "Funeral Processions" from the banned list that is what he was thinking of. Many funerals take place at Churches. You do bring up a good point though. Churches that have schools.
    That answers my question, the church I go to had a private school on the grounds.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I hear that reasoning often too but the most common reason for prohibited carry at churches here in NC is the affiliation with an educational aspect. The funny thing is that if you look up the definition of "funeral procession" that's the part where you are traveling in a caravan "from" the church to the cemetery not the service in the church. Now that the laws are finally catching up with the times it's getting better.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    A funeral procession is a procession, usually in motor vehicles, from a church or other place of worship to the cemetery.

A funeral is a ceremony for celebrating, respecting, sanctifying, or remembering the life of a person who has died.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    It is permissible under NC law and was never prohibited previously as far as I know. I usually carry in church as well as quite a few others. One of our Pastors carried in the pulpit as well.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links