NC Concealed Carry in Church

This is a discussion on NC Concealed Carry in Church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could swear I saw a law against carrying in church a while back. Looking at Handgunlaw.us, usacarry.com and searching the net I can't find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NC Concealed Carry in Church

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I could swear I saw a law against carrying in church a while back. Looking at Handgunlaw.us, usacarry.com and searching the net I can't find anything to back that up. Can someone help?

I believe it is a state by state issue.
    CIBMike likes this.

Ksgunner is spot on. In Colorado I can carry in church, If I visit family in Nebraska I can't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    skysoldier29, NC law changed this year. What they did change was this part of their law. It use to say this:

• Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. 14-277.2

But some places were removed from the law for places you couldn't carry your legal firearm and now NC Code states This:

Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. 14-277.2

I can't find anything in the past that made Churches Off Limits in the past.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Churches are not specifically prohibited for carry.

The reason some churches were considered a prohibited area is due to many having private schools as part of the church. That is still the case that if they have a educational aspect they would still be considered off limits for carry and if they post the property you can not have it even in the vehicle like you can on public educational facilities.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    NC Bullseye, I figured with them removing "Funeral Processions" from the banned list that is what he was thinking of. Many funerals take place at Churches. You do bring up a good point though. Churches that have schools.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    NC Bullseye, I figured with them removing "Funeral Processions" from the banned list that is what he was thinking of. Many funerals take place at Churches. You do bring up a good point though. Churches that have schools.
    That answers my question, the church I go to had a private school on the grounds.

I hear that reasoning often too but the most common reason for prohibited carry at churches here in NC is the affiliation with an educational aspect. The funny thing is that if you look up the definition of "funeral procession" that's the part where you are traveling in a caravan "from" the church to the cemetery not the service in the church. Now that the laws are finally catching up with the times it's getting better.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    A funeral procession is a procession, usually in motor vehicles, from a church or other place of worship to the cemetery.

A funeral is a ceremony for celebrating, respecting, sanctifying, or remembering the life of a person who has died.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    It is permissible under NC law and was never prohibited previously as far as I know. I usually carry in church as well as quite a few others. One of our Pastors carried in the pulpit as well.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Pastor who wants to carry to work? Church has preschool and afterschool.

I'm new to North Carolina, and am in the process of getting all of my licenses transferred over from Mississippi. I had a CCP in Mississippi for awhile, but did not renew it before I moved. I'm planning to take the CCP class and obtain my permit here in NC, and plan to carry a Glock 19. The church I pastor runs a preschool and afterschool program, though. It's active morning til late afternoon Monday through Friday. I take it from the posts here that I would not be permitted to carry at work, then. That really bothers me, not only in regards to my personal interest to carry, but also in regards to the protection of the children. That means no one is legally allowed to protect the children and teachers from someone attacking them???

I carry in Church here in FL. It's ok as long as it's not attached to a school here.
    Ruger LC9 - Hornaday Critical Defense

Quote Originally Posted by preacherdan View Post
    I'm new to North Carolina, and am in the process of getting all of my licenses transferred over from Mississippi. I had a CCP in Mississippi for awhile, but did not renew it before I moved. I'm planning to take the CCP class and obtain my permit here in NC, and plan to carry a Glock 19. The church I pastor runs a preschool and afterschool program, though. It's active morning til late afternoon Monday through Friday. I take it from the posts here that I would not be permitted to carry at work, then. That really bothers me, not only in regards to my personal interest to carry, but also in regards to the protection of the children. That means no one is legally allowed to protect the children and teachers from someone attacking them???
    You will have to determine if your churche's pre and after school programs meet the definition of the law. If it does, the law doesn't delineate between school hours and non school hours so if it is off limits, it's off limits 24/7 365 regardless of current activities.

Here is the link directly to the statute: G.S. 14-269.2

If it doesn't meet the definition of an educational property then you are fine with carry as long as the church remains free of no weapons signs.

Many churches have child care and they do not fall under the statutes for educational property but it's your responsibility to make sure where your specific situation falls.

Your NC CHP class SHOULD cover this as well as the rest of the statutes regulating carry in NC so make sure you WRITE DOWN your questions since the class can get pretty busy and that makes it easy to forget questions not written down.

Welcome to NC and always feel free to ask any other questions!

Stay safe!

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Louisiana is very pro gun but have stupid laws put in by anti gun State Troopers.

Church carriers must have eight hours additional annual training, be approved by the church board and be introduced to the congreation.

Parades requiring a permit is totally off limits.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You could also ask your preacher as some have around here . He could be glad to have you there. Or if no school attached to your church just cc away.
    danrev likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links