I made a coworker today.

I made a coworker today.

This is a discussion on I made a coworker today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving back to town after a day of work. We were going through a town I was unfamiliar with. My coworker was giving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking I made a coworker today.

I was driving back to town after a day of work. We were going through a town I was unfamiliar with. My coworker was giving me directions through the town, as we approached the intersection I was in the wrong lane. The lane was for entering onto a Army base. He began to yell DO NOT ENTER THE BASE!!! I said I am just going to turn around. He was even more insistent DO NOT ENTER THE BASE!!! I told him to calm down I didn't want to hold up traffic to make an illegal lane change to avoid entering the base. That's when he informed me about his concealed hand gun. I waited and made the lane change as the army MP was waving me to enter the base and pointing at the U turn lane that was there for people like me. I never told him that I carry most of the time too. I don't want people to know.
    Last edited by falkon; December 9th, 2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Kant cPel
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I don't think "making" a person under duress counts...

You know... you have an opportunity to make a "friend in CC." Bring him here!

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I don't think "making" a person under duress counts...

You know... you have an opportunity to make a "friend in CC." Bring him here!

Josh <><
    Good suggestion. Leave a sticky note folded in half on his keyboard if you don't want to give him the URL in person.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Lead Moderator
    You don't have to tell him you carry, but maybe mentioning you are o.k. with it might make your co worker more at ease.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If He Is A CoWorker...

and a friendly, common sense type of guy...why not share? It might be helpful if, someday, that 'crazed killer', seeking revenge...comes into your workplace. It could be to your advantage knowing you can have an armed associate...but then that's your call!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Now you know who your immediate back up could be. :)

Seriously, you two should go to lunch one day and you could either tell him you carry too or just explain that you have your CCW permit as well and you are 100% OK with him carrying. He may be freaking out right now knowing that he revealed this info to you in a moment of stress and wondering if you are going to go to HR with the info or something. Assure him you won't and put his mind to ease.

A few of my co-workers carry too. We all know about each other and I think we are all pretty comfortable with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but it isn't in fact illegal to carry onto a military base. Base weapon policies are set by the commander, and a s a civilian you aren't subject to military orders.

The worst they can do if they catch you is kick you off and ban you from post. They can't even confiscate the firearm.

Not that I'd recommend trying it...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Most states mention no carrying on federal property (like courthouses, post offices, military bases...) so it's still a no go for civvies.

Blasting

[QUOTE=tanksoldier;250720]I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but it isn't in fact illegal to carry onto a military base. Base weapon policies are set by the commander, and a s a civilian you aren't subject to military orders.

The worst they can do if they catch you is kick you off and ban you from post. They can't even confiscate the firearm./QUOTE]

I believe you are incorrect. Civilians are subject to the US Code. I think you'll find that a provost martial will feel completely empowered to detain you, confisdcate your weapons, and hand you over to the FBI / US Marshall / some other federal law enforcement for arrest and arraignment before a federal magistrate.

I've seen legal arguments that the portion of the US Code used to ban weapons from a military installation doesn't cover legally carried concealed weapons. I don't care to be the test case.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

I have to disagree, tanksoldier.

50 USC Section 797 ("Security regulations and orders; penalty for violation") states (in a single 211 word sentence) that violation of security regulations for a military installation carries a fine and/or jail time.

In practice, you can tell them "I'm making a U-turn, and FYI, I'm carrying", and they won't care 90% of the time. And even if they do care, it'll be in a minor way. You can withhold the notice, and 99% of the time they won't catch you. But if they're in a higher security posture or something, search you, and find an undisclosed weapon, you're going to get *hammered*.

The usual disclaimers apply. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guarantee the legal position I quoted you or anything. But I am active duty military, so I know how the gate works.

Military Base = Federal Property..."Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Military Base = Federal Property..."Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200".
    There is no blanket prohibition on carrying on federal property. Unless state law makes it illegal, you can carry on many types of federal lands, including National Forests and BLM land.

Just by way of clarification... it's almost 0430 here, so I'm not going to go find it, but I'd bet money there's a blanket DOD prohibition for non-duty-related carry on military installations.

I've been on many military bases and I inform them at the gate and all they tell me is to unload and secure in trunk etc. not a problem, but making a U turn no big deal.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but it isn't in fact illegal to carry onto a military base. Base weapon policies are set by the commander, and a s a civilian you aren't subject to military orders.

The worst they can do if they catch you is kick you off and ban you from post. They can't even confiscate the firearm.

Not that I'd recommend trying it...
    As a civilian you are not subject to the UCMJ. However, there are laws in place on military bases to control the civilians there as well.

Coming on base carrying a loaded weapon may not be a big deal. Some MPs will politely inform you of the regulations and allow you to unload your weapon and lock it in the trunk in complience with regulations.

Other MPs will handcuff you and turn you over to the Provost Marshal's Office, who will likely have you arrested for trespassing on government property. Any resistance toward the MPs will be dealt with harshly.

If you work on base when this happens, you will be fired.

If you are visiting someone on base, that person may face some consequences. I don't know if they would or not, although it isn't unthinkable. I have seen Marines banned from the PX after their children or wives were caught shoplifting.

If you have a reason to be there like going to the PX or hospital, you may be banned from entering the base.

If you have no legitimate reason to be there, you can count on spending a long day explaining your armed presence to the cops and trying to convince them that you are not a terrorist.

Don't think for a second that lack of military status protects you from military law enforcement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links