New flashbang holster...bad positioning?

This is a discussion on New flashbang holster...bad positioning? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a flashbang holster for my LC9 today. I put it on and wore it around the house a few hours to get used ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: New flashbang holster...bad positioning?

I got a flashbang holster for my LC9 today. I put it on and wore it around the house a few hours to get used to it and figure out what position worked best for me. What I came up with was not quite the expected positioning, but it is really comfortable and draing is smooth. My only issue is that the way I wear it, the gun is always pointed right up at my head. The idea is really discomforting to me. I don't carry with one in the chamber, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I showed my bf, got his opinion, and he thinks it's fine. He said he'd feel differently if I carried chambered, but since I don't, it is fine. I just wanted to get other opinions, and I know that there are hundreds of them here :)

When I'm actually wearing it, it sits a little lower, making draw very smooth. I just figured this pic was more acceptable.

photo (2).jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have often wondered the same about appendix carry. Carrying a gun that is constantly pointed at my femoral artery seems disconcerting to say the least. I know that guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger but that doesn't make it any less unsettling.vv
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Honestly I'm more worried about you carrying without one in the chamber than with a holstered gun pointing at your head. That said, it does get more dangerous on the draw.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I carry AIWB, with a round chambered, the muzzle of my G23 is pointed at my femoral artery and I am not the least bit worried. Why? Because the trigger is covered by the holster and a G23 will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. I have trained extensively on safely handling a firearm for over 30 + some odd years and always stay off the trigger until on target.

I would advise you to do first, what you think is best to the level of your abilities and training, but to also consider how you would use your LC9 in a close fight from the Flash Bang rig. How are you going to access the pistol while fending off an attacker, rack the slide, reliably chamber a round and get a shot off if necessary while possibly grappling with said attacker?

P.S. Cute brazier, it makes me think of tequila shots.

VIP Member
    The videos I've seen on You Tube that show the flashbang show the holster part as worn to the bottom of the bra with the muzzle inside the bottom of the left cup. This looks "crowded on one side to me" - but that seems to be the standard way of wearing that piece of gear. Is it a basic choice of taking the chance of shooting yourself in the chin or the breast ????

Personally, IWB is my preferred method of carry. And I can't shoot a gun that is tiny enough to work with a flashbang anyway.

But if this works best for you, good luck. I do second the opinion of others that no round in the chamber is not a good thing in an emergency.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    If the holster fully covers the trigger, it should be fine.

The "violation" of the rule of pointing a gun at something you are not willing to destroy (e.g., head, femoral artery) when holstered has been discussed. Those rules related primarily to gun handling. When a gun is holstered with a good holster that covers the trigger, all should be okay.

The LC9 has a long and heavy trigger pull. Try this. Make sure your gun is unloaded. Place it in the holster. Try to pull the trigger so that it would fire if it were loaded. It's difficult if not impossible.

However, that being said, I do have concerns when holstering and unholstering. Critically important to be careful when holstering and unholstering.

Bottom line is I can't tell you not to worry about having a gun pointed to your head while carrying. I understand why you would be unnerved.

I also note that carrying without a round chambered has some drawbacks of which I am sure you are aware.

Finally, you have an awesome avatar. Very cool.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I understand the delay caused by not carrying with a round chambered. I understand the pros and cons of it, and I've made my choice as to how I am going to carry. I have been carrying a gun for less than a year, and at least 50% of my life, I can not carry due to my career. That being said, while I am competely comfortable handling a gun, and have been shooting guns most of my life, I am still a bit green when it comes to carrying one. Having a gun on me is better than not having one, I think everyone here will agree with that. That being said...

This holster does completely cover the trigger. I spent some time today trying to fumble with it is such a way that it seemed possible that the gun would go off during the draw, and it definitely seemed extremely unlikely, if not impossible. Originally I didn't like the long trigger pull, but I've come to appreciate it now.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Paging Lima... paging Lima...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I personally see no reason why the holster couldn't be made so it holds the gun horizontally. Unless you were wearing a skin tight top I don't think it would be easily detectable.

Does your holster have a retention device or is it held in place by friction. If it's the latter you might try jumping up and down and landing stiff legged a few times to make sure the gun can't be dislodged by violent movement.

Outside Waistband Holsters - products new home - The Centerline Holster

Jim
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Are you sure the strap is positioned correctly? After Googling Flashbang holsters all of the pictures show the gun being carried horizontally. You may be able to rotate the snap and trap for a more horizontal carry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flas...w=1280&bih=553
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You might want to look at SmartCarry, Thunderwear, De Santis gun sox, they are really comfortable and can be as quickly accessed as the FlashBang Bra. I'm a guy and I wear a SmartCarry with a Ruger SR 9cwith a loaded chamber. It did take a couple of days to get used to the idea I had a load firearm hanging around my fishing tackle but it does not bother me at all now. just go to there website and check them out. Carrying a firearm without a round in the chamber can be more dangerous if you ever did not have both hands to rack the slide. Yes you can rack the slide of your belt Jeans shoes but if you are finding off an attacker who caught you of guard that going to be next to impossible. if I am out of line in any way I am sorry. And do worry I ain't going to post any pics wearing my SmartCarry that would be an image it would take a long time to get rid of. Hope this helps.
    Jaggyd33 likes this.

I have a very hard time (as a male) with a smartcarry/thunderwear just because of where it points. That said, I would see if you can reposition like msgt/ret suggested.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The videos I've seen on You Tube that show the flashbang show the holster part as worn to the bottom of the bra with the muzzle inside the bottom of the left cup. This looks "crowded on one side to me" - but that seems to be the standard way of wearing that piece of gear. Is it a basic choice of taking the chance of shooting yourself in the chin or the breast ????
    Considering that she might be interested, I had my wife watch one of the video's. I think she was a bit "horrified" when she saw that the cup would be required to have an "additional occupant". Her answer was, "NO, and NO WAY".

Not my area of expertise, but it might work for some ladies? However, my wife ain't willing.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've been wondering lately just how to carry and make sure I can access my gun. It's cold here in OK so I have a heavy coat on along with gloves. I'd like to carry IWB as I sit at a desk all day (auditor/accountant) but during the drive to and from home an IWB would be inaccessable. The logistics of it are driving my crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    I've been wondering lately just how to carry and make sure I can access my gun. It's cold here in OK so I have a heavy coat on along with gloves. I'd like to carry IWB as I sit at a desk all day (auditor/accountant) but during the drive to and from home an IWB would be inaccessable. The logistics of it are driving my crazy.
    Ankle carry?
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links