What To Do With a Real Serious and Dangerous Gun-Jam ?

This is a discussion on What To Do With a Real Serious and Dangerous Gun-Jam ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been awhile and I can't remember the specifics: but in one of my semi-autos when I was unloading a bullet got jammed angling 1/3 of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What To Do With a Real Serious and Dangerous Gun-Jam ?

What To Do With a Real Serious and Dangerous Gun-Jam ?

Been awhile and I can't remember the specifics: but in one of my semi-autos when I was unloading a bullet got jammed angling 1/3 of the way into the barrel and I believe the ejector had jammed it and was "pushing" the round off center of the case-rear from the primer, but placed very near it - not at all where ejector should have been - and the gun was cocked - again why I don't remember. I couldn't budge the bullet and case, was very near the primer with a small screw-driver and terribly worried that the firing pin would strike and hit the primer and explode the case, maybe firing the bullet (jammed like I said at an angle but partly in barrel. That was the other point of the jam: side of the barrel and the bullet tip jammed against it. ) It was 11:00 pm at night, and I didn't know how and where to leave it for the night or drive it way out to my range next day. I also did not want to call the police.

So, I put it somewhere that felt relatively safe for the night and next day propped it in the back seat securely and drove nice and slow and smooth to range, they had tools and finally removed the bullet.

So, I had no idea what to do but hit some lucky choices.

But What should one do with a bad and potentially dangerous jam if you can't unjam it yourself as a regular safety-practice ?

2. Remove Ads

My Walther double feeds sometimes. Placing 2 bullets in line attempting to get into battery.

So in my Walther, you can't drop the mag, or open the slide because the second round is halfway out of the mag James against the ramp.

The only way to clear the jam is to disassemble the gun. It's a painful process. You have to really manhandle the slide to break it loose.

No fun.

Luckily when this happens the round in the chandler is already expelled. It's the round trying to get into battery you need to worry about.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    it's hard to imagine what happened with no pic. you're talking about an auto pistol?

well if the slide is not in battery and your finger is off the trigger then the gun would not fire so cocked or not it should not matter, not sure how you got the round stuck between the ejector and the barrel since the ejector is fixed and the barrel should not be anywhere near rearward enough to trap a round. was something broken?

since you were clearing the gun i assume the mag had been removed before you worked the slide, so all you need to do was to retract the slide and the round should fall out.

anyways i always work the slide briskly and fully to avoid short stroking or riding the slide and so the round would eject clear of the port and not fall back in in breach area, same with a pump shotgun.
    TDH1961 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    My Walther double feeds sometimes. Placing 2 bullets in line attempting to get into battery.

So in my Walther, you can't drop the mag, or open the slide because the second round is halfway out of the mag James against the ramp.

The only way to clear the jam is to disassemble the gun. It's a painful process. You have to really manhandle the slide to break it loose.

No fun.

Luckily when this happens the round in the chandler is already expelled. It's the round trying to get into battery you need to worry about.
    two live rounds or a live round behind a spent case?

the former is a double feed, usually caused by a trying to correct a misfeed before making sure that the magazines is fully seated, that or a faulty magazine.

if it's the latter then that would be a failure to extract, causing the fresh round from the mag to push against the spent case (which should of been pulled from the chamber and ejected) under the pressure of the recoil spring.

i would have the gun checked out if either happens regularly, the former is usually caused by a faulty magazine or user error and the latter is probably a faulty extractor.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

In my jam, you cannot drop the mag because the first round is half out of the mag. It's jammed between the lips of the mag and the feed ramp.

This is similar. The extractor failed to extract. The next round jammed. Can't move it forward because there is a casing stuck.

You have to slide the round back in the mag to drop it. Then rack the round out. The issue with my ppks is it had no external slide lock. So doing this alone was quite a task. It was easier to pull the slide off and clear it. If you could lock the slide back you can slide the round back in the mag and dump the casing.

It's scary to see but once you realize it's a casing only in the chamber you also realize there is not much danger in this.

"People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    Hopyard and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    In my jam, you cannot drop the mag because the first round is half out of the mag. It's jammed between the lips of the mag and the feed ramp.

This is similar. The extractor failed to extract. The next round jammed. Can't move it forward because there is a casing stuck.

You have to slide the round back in the mag to drop it. Then rack the round out. The issue with my ppks is it had no external slide lock. So doing this alone was quite a task. It was easier to pull the slide off and clear it. If you could lock the slide back you can slide the round back in the mag and dump the casing.

It's scary to see but once you realize it's a casing only in the chamber you also realize there is not much danger in this.

If in a fight and this happened you could can do it your way or I'd push the mag release button grab the bottom of slide ripping it out of gun, the round half in half out will also rip out. Rack the slide a time or two hopefully the spent casing will come out. Replace with new mag rack slide and get back into fight. For this type thing is why you need to carry extra mags.
    40Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Yeah, Walther has a flat bottom mag. Best of luck getting it out without tools.

I don't carry that gun for a reason. ;)

gatorbait51 likes this.

Personally, I have never had a jam that couldn't be quickly cleared.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

None of my pistols have ever had this issue, except the Walther.

gatorbait51 likes this.

I've had this in my shield 9 with WWB (only WWB-it just seems not to like extracting it for some reason). It has always cleared with the "unload/reload" drill, which is second in series as I was taught after tap and rack. Drop mag, cycle slide, reload mag, up and running again.

These types of failures ar part of why I usually carry a 442! (Though as I am writing this, I am carrying my shield).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

VIP Member
    The last time I had an out-of-business jam with an edc, I bought a Glock.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Worst jam I ever had was first day at the indoor range, poor lighting, noisy. I put the magazine in backwards. Yikes. Fortunately the range master was able to yank it out without damaging the gun.

IMO, this is the reason you get a Glock for your carry piece. You will never have a jam or a FTF or an FTE in your lifetime use. This is the reason to have a BUG. This is the reason to carry extra mags. THIS is the reason to carry with a partner. Good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Worst jam I ever had was first day at the indoor range, poor lighting, noisy. I put the magazine in backwards. Yikes. Fortunately the range master was able to yank it out without damaging the gun.

IMO, this is the reason you get a Glock for your carry piece. You will never have a jam or a FTF or an FTE in your lifetime use. This is the reason to have a BUG. This is the reason to carry extra mags. THIS is the reason to carry with a partner. Good thread.
    Carry with a partner? Huh?
    Not sure where that came from ;)

gatorbait51 likes this.

I have seen magazines fail so I carry a spare or two. I have seen guns fail so I carry a backup gun. My wife also carries so we have her gun available or I can give her my backup gun if her carry gun fails.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Personally, I have never had a jam that couldn't be quickly cleared.

I usually just open my cylinder and dump out the rounds, every now and then one sticks and I have to pull it out with my fingers.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links