Traveling to Chicago

Traveling to Chicago

This is a discussion on Traveling to Chicago within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to travel to Chicago on business next week. I have a Nebraska concealed carry permit. I know Illinois is funny about the 2nd ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Traveling to Chicago

Traveling to Chicago

I have to travel to Chicago on business next week. I have a Nebraska concealed carry permit. I know Illinois is funny about the 2nd Amendment, and I'm looking for some guidance. If it was up to me I would never travel to that hell hole.

Can I at least take my pistol in the car with me? I will be driving to and from McCormick Place and using their parking garage daily. I know I can't carry in the exhibit hall. Can I carry between my hotel room and the car? What about in restaurants and gas stations?

Traveling to Chicago

Nope.

You can have it in the trunk locked up. Ammo must be in a separate part of the car also locked up. Neither within reach of the driver.

And only if your not going to be in the state for more than 24 hours.

If your staying more than 24 hours than the answer is no no and no.

Chicago! The safest place on earth! Oh wait. No scratch that, reverse it.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

I'd suggest carrying a pointy stick, provided they haven't yet enacted "common sense pointy stick laws."

Good luck, and remember, keep your head down and zig zag
    GlockHawk17, brocktice and 84160 like this.

VIP Member
    I am sorry to hear that . You should have no problem as long as you stay in your Kevlar Bubble they rent them at the border .
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Traveling to Chicago

When I go to Chicago, DC, Ny, etc. I carry a self defense flashlight and tactile pen. Not much else you can do. There are very strict laws on bladed weapons as well. Since I have to fly there usually knives are out anyway.

Tsa has never taken my flashlight or pen even though both look a little menacing.

If they ask I casually state. It's a flashlight! Want to see my nail clippers too?

Usually that's the end of the conversation.

"People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    brocktice likes this.

Fudge. I have a big can of pepper spray that I carry for bears in the mountains. Is that legal in Communicago?
    welder516 likes this.

The new laws say you can carry a gun on in your car just not take it out of the car it also saids this "From the IL
    State Police:
    Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I travel?
    Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The critical question is how the firearm was carried into the room
    and transported in a vehicle. Those actions must be done lawful". See link below .

However as someone who has traveled to that state I will tell you this just get a small knife under 2.5 and not assisted and pepper spray Chicago is not worth having a gun in it . If you were going to anywhere else in the state it would be ok that is have it on you in the car and lock up from car to room then on belt/nightstand in room. See Rual IL is very gun friendly ie there is no AWB or mag limit etc. You can own/have what ever non nfa gun/iteam you want . However Chicago and the Burbs hate guns/knives etc. I know as the link below show that even laser sights are illegal in Chicago.

I think there is still a AWB and a mag ban over 10 or 12 round . Not sure if they new carry laws changed that http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf .. They do issue out of state carry permits now but it is a while to get one .. And also you can not carry a lot place that you want to do ie the L and CTA ..

Also you can not legal carry or have a stun gun/taser etc , pepper spray is ok there is no limt on size/power of it . Also 2.5 inch only on knives not even straight razor etc no auto no assisted etc. Let me put it this way the knife laws are so bad there that syperco made a knife for that town Amazon.com: Spyderco Chicago G-10 Plain Edge Knife, Black: Sports & Outdoors

My understanding is now that out of towner are excluded from needing a FOID card to have guns/ammo with them . I know that you have to register a handgun if you live in Chicago not sure for out of towners .

Also the city has a AWB and mag ban it is either 10 or 12 rounds . So stick to a wheel gun or semi auto if you can.

So tldr leave your gun at home and get the nastiest mace / small knife/tac light you can. I never felt that unsafe as long as you stick to downtown and do not go to certian parts at night you should be just fine. The cop dont like bad press so they tend to flood the street of downtown with cops . http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf ..

Not entirely. Not allowed to have pepper spray on an aircraft either.

ILLINOIS: In the City of Chicago (a) No person shall use any device to discharge a noxious gas or liquid in an enclosed room in any Class C-1 or Class C-2 Assembly Unit, as defined in Chapter 13-56 of this Code, or in an enclosed room in any restaurant, bar or tavern that is a Class F Assembly Unit as defined in that chapter, if more than 20 persons are present in that room, unless the person is a peace officer, as defined in Section 8-20-30* of this Code, engaged in law enforcement activity. As used in this section, “noxious gas or liquid” means mace, pepper spray or any other substance that is intended or designed to cause irritation to the eyes, nose or mouth, or to cause nausea.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I'd suggest carrying a pointy stick, provided they haven't yet enacted "common sense pointy stick laws."

I think this is your best choice , just don't take the stick off a live tree make sure you get a stick on the ground .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

The best thing you can do is the same thing you would do if you had a gun: be self aware and avoid dangerous people, places, and situations. That'll keep you in the clear 99% of the time. For the other 1%, good luck because the BG will certainly have a gun.

That's impossible. He can't have a gun. He would never be able to pass the back ground check. /sarcasm

84160 likes this.

Here I am thinking that there are already people telling the OP that...oh wait...it took 2 minutes to provide wrong information.

Here you go:

If you have a concealed carry license from your state then your car is your safe heaven. You can have it loaded and concealed on you or your car withing your car's vicinity.
    sfreed likes this.

Carrying a gun into Illinois is a crap shoot (pun intended) for everyone.

There are some relaxations of their laws but be aware that many IL LEO's may or may not know that sometimes a visitor can have a weapon in their car, hotel room, or with friends or relatives in their homes. Plus, some places such as Chi-Town restrict firearms to the point that only the Elite Ruling Class and the Criminal class can have them.

Taking the chance of getting caught with a gun under their strict laws is up to you. I guess it narrows down to the choice of getting caught by the Po Po or taking chances with the bad people with guns and what is the lesser of these two evils.

My spouse used to reside in Springfield, IL and occasionally we make a pilgrimage to see her family and friends and always unarmed for the visit.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Traveling to Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    Here I am thinking that there are already people telling the OP that...oh wait...it took 2 minutes to provide wrong information.

Here you go:

If you have a concealed carry license from your state then your car is your safe heaven. You can have it loaded and concealed on you or your car withing your car's vicinity.
    What?!

When did that change? I worked in Chicago 2 years ago. Everything I found was absolutely not!

From handgunlaw.us

"Illinois does not honor any other states Permit/License"

Non permit holders: transport firearms :
    "firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the firearm/ammunition holds a valid F.O.I.D. card."

Not sure what the right answer is however handgunlaw.us says no.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post

Make sure it's not a "black" stick, and it can't have one of those "fold up things" on it.
    brocktice likes this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links