Yet another "No Guns - No Money" card thread (Illinois in this case, but you know...)

This is a discussion on Yet another "No Guns - No Money" card thread (Illinois in this case, but you know...) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IL businesses are already posting their "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signage and they haven't even started issuing permits. I've already run into these situations out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Yet another "No Guns - No Money" card thread (Illinois in this case, but you know...)

Yet another "No Guns - No Money" card thread (Illinois in this case, but you know...)

IL businesses are already posting their "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signage and they haven't even started issuing permits. I've already run into these situations out of state and I take "casting my consumer ballot" pretty seriously (although I'm not necessarily what most would call an activist) and I definitely have skin in the game in this case. So here's what I had in mind after going through dozens of different designs and syntax options --

* A card that didn't look like it was put together using Netscape Communicator in 1995.
    * That doesn't necessarily insult the business owner (as much as many of us would like to) and uses positive terminology (such as "loyal" and "respect") instead of negative ("won't buy" and "you're on notice" and such).
    * That suggests right off the bat, the option of prohibiting illegal weapons (something some shop owners might not have thought of if they're simply trying to satisfy a few irate customers in the first place).
    * That reminds the business owner that I'm not a criminal element (this is pretty common to most of the designs I've seen, so nothing new here).
    * That mentions the databases (that they may not know of) and (again, in a positive way), the "consumer ballot" that I'm now casting elsewhere.
    * That (and this is really just an IL thing as far as I know offhand) we're basically passing the same accuracy/proficiency test provided to officers and retired officers and we're not just packing heat willy-nilly.
    * That reminds them of the fact that they're basically providing a "safe environment" for criminal activity.
    * That thanks them for their time -- instead of sounding "threatening" to their business as some I've seen that do.

Etc., etc. and I came up with something like this (Front over back at 150dpi RGB JPG for easy web viewing):

NoGunsNoMoney_JS1.jpg

And before I send it off to the printer (I have a stack of friends that already want them), I wanted to run it by the folks here for a quick round of constructive criticism or commentary.

And sure -- If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll post it as a 300dpi PSD or CMYK or RGB JPG without the text on the back so you can put whatever info you want on it.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your card is fine. However, as I've said before, unless you're talking about a business built on guns ownership, the amount of income lost will be miniscule. I doubt a Hallmart store or even a Wlamart will notice any drop in its income statement because the few CC'ers didn't come in. But if you feel you can change the mind of the business owner, go for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Most likely they'll chuckle to themselves and say, "Good, we were trying to keep you out anyway", and then throw it in the trash bin.

ETA:

But as far as constructive criticism goes, I think you did a nice job with this. Wording is good, positive and respectful vibe, looks good.
    gatorbait51 and stylus like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Each to their own but why some do this i don't understand.If they wanted guns in their business the signs wouldn't be up.I doubt they will say oh my, i didn't know you felt that way and the signs will be gone by tomorrow lol.

VIP Member
    When just a few people take a stand and MEAN IT nothing changes. When a lot more people do the same, things change.

Start with your "few people" and your well designed card and build from there. (That's "activism 101", BTW)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I see these more for small mom and pop local shops. They may not change a policy in the store, but they do present our side. Too much anti-gun information is being seen and heard.

I have no issue with raising an awareness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nice work.

Effective? Who knows. If one starts picking nits, before long, you've got a bucket full of nits. I say "go for it." You never know where that seed you planted will germinate and take root.

And from nearly two generations ago, consider this -

You know, if
    One person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
    They won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
    They may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.
    And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
    Singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
    Organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
    Fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and

Walking out. And friends they may think it's a movement.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What will truly be effective in getting those signs removed are a few of these......

"And up next on The News....Another business posting 'No Guns Allowed' has become the latest victim of armed robbery".

Like that'll ever happen.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Gasmitty,
    You are hilarious! I love that song. I haven't heard Alice's Restaurant in years, was that Woody or Arlo Guthrie?
    CIBMike, gatorbait51 and 357and40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashburns View Post
    Gasmitty,
    You are hilarious! I love that song. I haven't heard Alice's Restaurant in years, was that Woody or Arlo Guthrie?
    Arlo.

Here's the newer version, with a good tale about the song included.
    Alice's Restaurant (Full 23 Minute Song) - YouTube

To MASSIVE - I like the polish you've put on the card. Well Done!
    gatorbait51 and MASSIVE like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Your card is fine. However, as I've said before, unless you're talking about a business built on guns ownership, the amount of income lost will be miniscule.
    Sure. But, like everything else, chipping away at the insanity one "chip" at a time is important.

Getting people to change the ludicrous mindset is important. And it starts with one person at a time, one newbie shooter at a time, one citizen at a time who can be helped to see the very real and practical ramifications of clearing a path ahead of violent criminals arriving.

Won't work nearly so well with insensate corporations, no. But if ~5M people spread these things around each and every day, all across the country, and if ~5M shooters could turn one new person each week "on" to shooting and the concept of upstanding carry, we might well turn this thing on its head ... the anti-gunner mindset that's eroding our liberty.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 14th, 2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: clarity, paragraphs
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

chipping away at the insanity one "chip" at a time is important
    And I can't get myself to not try for some reason. The cards I've seen -- Didn't care for some, made my own. The thought process on the other hand came from talking with small and independent business owners. Small restaurants, automotive repair, even a dance studio. PRO 2A people who are afraid of losing business for NOT having signs.

And I said "Why don't you just post a sign that says 'No ILLEGAL weapons?' -- Instead of a red-circle-slash, just a red circle and that sentence. That'll keep the anti's happy but give the 'wink' to the others (I'm actually working on such signs for a few of them).

I'm also considering getting the "Thank You" type cards for places that DON'T have those signs so they know that I support them - Even if they're just "doing what the State allows" -- I'm a "regular" at a plenty of places, from gas stations to independent markets to restaurants, even the shoe repair and the dry cleaner. I want to let them know that because they DON'T prohibit my being there, I'll continue being their customer. Sort of a "nip it in the bud" approach.

And most certainly, I understand that I'm taking the risk of reminding them to put up that sign that's in the back - But at the same time, I'm letting them know that up to this point, I (and obviously others - who evidently pose no danger to them) appreciate the fact that it isn't up.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Ex Member
    In Indiana if you carry in one of those places they can ASK you to leave. If you refuse THEN they can call the LEO's and get you for trespassing. That IT.

I recently changed banks. As I went in I noticed 'THE SIGN' on the door. I went in, introduced myself, and told the manager that EVERY time I walked in the door I would be LEGALLY carrying. He said "IF I DON'T SEE IT, I DON'T CARE."

Don't want to sound insensitive but if you live in a no CCW State, or stupid restrictions YOU deserve it. VOTE THE **&%#%^ out. Way too many people sit at home on election day. If just 3/4 of the gun owners had voted in the last election things would be REAL different on State and Federal level. Skip a box of ammo and send $18-$20 to the NRA or Gun Owners Of America. WAY too many shooters sit at home and just complain on these sites.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I say that by making the no guns, no money position known you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

NC recently adopted restaurant carry and some places slapped their stupid signs up. In response Grass Roots NC started the high risk restaurants campaign: http://www.grnc.org/safe-restaurants
    The importing thing to remember is that it isn't just your business they lose. In response several places have removed their signs.

My belief, since I am carrying concealed, unless the sign has rule of law behind it, I ignore them and get on with whatever I am doing. If I am truly concealed, they will never know. If I print and they ask me to leave, I will. No harm no foul.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links