Bring my gun on vacation? - Page 2

Bring my gun on vacation?

This is a discussion on Bring my gun on vacation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LOL, SIGguy229! Some kids in the house I take it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LOL, SIGguy229! Some kids in the house I take it.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Must have!!

Without question, take your gun with you!!

That being said, I'll reemphasize JimmyC's note of having the ammunition in its original container. This will save you a lot of grief.

carry safe,

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If you reload, simply put the ammo in a origional box(doesn't even have to be the same caliber or same brand) and your good.

These TSA people don't know and don't care. They're just doing what they have been told to do by a boss that doesn't know or care either. -------

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    call the airline and go on line to get the information. then give yourself some extry time at check in. should not be any problems.
    +1 Each airline has it's own set of rules for checking firearms as well as the TSA. Call the airline and get their instructions. IF you do bring it though, the airline will put a red tag on your baggage saying "UNLOADED FIREARM" on the tag. Make sure this goes on the hard, locking guncase inside your suitcase and not outside the suitcase. Traveling with a gun isn't hard, but there are some tedious regulations for some of the airlines. Good luck.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    I just had another thought. I have free access to my companie's FedEx account. Maybe I'll just Overnight the package to their house a couple days before I leave, then do the same upon returning. Is it legal to ship a complete (but unloaded) gun?
    If you want to do it that way it is perfectly legal to ship a weapon to yourself. Just make sure that you address to you c/o your parents. Pay for the insurance too.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Last time I looked into FedEx, their corporate policy is that an FFL is required on one end or the other for handguns, even if you are shipping it to yourself.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    not to sound crude...but are you bringing your sack with you???
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I know the gun case has to be a hard case but can you fly with a leather or a soft suitcase?

Be Careful!!!

I had a brand new Springfield XD-9 Service stolen out of my bag after being legally checked on a flight. It was in a hard sided case and locked with a quality padlock and someone behind the scenes saw it and looted it. As of yet no orginization (TSA or Southwest Airlines) is willing to accept responsibility for the loss. You may consider FedExing your gun to yourself, or if this is not an option MAKE sure you purchase the optional insurance on your gun and make sure to check the hard sided *LOCKED* case and be sure to stand by and watch the TSA agent as they run it through the x-ray machine.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

I'd probably just drive

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    not to sound crude...but are you bringing your sack with you???
    Ouch, that's low (pun intended)....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I JUST got home after flying United. No problems whatsoever. Flying out they asked me to demonstrate that the chamber was empty. Then he asked me about the mag. (I left an empty magazine in the gun.) I ejected the mag, showed him it was empty, and put it back in. He was fine with that.

He was very nice. - Just wanted me to show him that the gun was unloaded. I signed the "unloaded firearm declaration" and placed it in the case and locked it up. He asked me to wait for the X-ray machine. - Again, no problems and the screener told me I was fine so I was on my way. This was very typical of my experiences checking weapons at the airport.

On the return trip, I declared the weapon and ammo and opened the case and asked "Would you like me to demonstrate that it's empty"?

He said, "No, that's OK". I locked it back up and he placed it directly on the conveyor belt (no x-ray). That was a little odd but again NO PROBLEM.

Do what you think is best but I will carry everywhere it is legal.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsonre View Post
    I had a brand new Springfield XD-9 Service stolen out of my bag after being legally checked on a flight. It was in a hard sided case and locked with a quality padlock and someone behind the scenes saw it and looted it. As of yet no orginization (TSA or Southwest Airlines) is willing to accept responsibility for the loss. You may consider FedExing your gun to yourself, or if this is not an option MAKE sure you purchase the optional insurance on your gun and make sure to check the hard sided *LOCKED* case and be sure to stand by and watch the TSA agent as they run it through the x-ray machine.
    I've always been told (and thought of it myself) to stand by until the TSA x-rayed the luggage carrying the gun.

As far as responsibility, I thing if you are getting the run around, contact the TSA headquarters and report an unsecured handgun in the sterile area at both airports. I believe Southwest is responsible for reimbursing you up to their legal limitations on non-insured luggage (which might cover an XD). When transporting anything other than clothes, the insurance is a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links