Bring my gun on vacation?

This is a discussion on Bring my gun on vacation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take my gun with me to Arizona (which honors my NV permit) when I go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring my gun on vacation?

So I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take my gun with me to Arizona (which honors my NV permit) when I go visit my grandparents over christmas break. I'll be there for a week. Here's the pro's and cons as I see them

Pro:
    I have my gun

Con:
    I've never checked a gun through the airport before (not sure how to do it)
    My grandparents don't know about the CCW, and I'd hate to have something come up
    I don't like ever having my gun outside of my possesion.
    There's a next to zero chance that I'd ever need it there, and there's long guns aplenty in the house.

Hmmm

What'dya all think?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Assistant Administrator
    The aspect re how folks will regard it in AZ - is one for you to decide, tho as ever, concealed is concealed!

I did my first gun transportation last April when I went to Tulsa gun show. No real probs at all - and altogether I had three check-ins, as I stopped over in Denver en route. The airline (Frontier) folks were top notch and only one of the check-ins was TSA oriented and the guy was more interested in wanding a bottle of whiskey than the gun.

I forget the page but go to TSA.gov - I think - website and there's a page of info for how to do it. It's simple. I am not sure either if we haven't discussed this here before - maybe a search will bring something up.

The other thing is to have info from the relevant state websites (print this stuff out)that you will be visiting, so as to be sure on the specific do's and don'ts.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just had another thought. I have free access to my companie's FedEx account. Maybe I'll just Overnight the package to their house a couple days before I leave, then do the same upon returning. Is it legal to ship a complete (but unloaded) gun?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Assistant Administrator
    I am not totally sure - of course you are shipping to yourself but wonder - if they would still want FFL involvement.

Somehow it seems easier to me to take it in the checked baggage - gun in plastic case with lock thru one of the catches - mag out and slide locked back is best so that when showing to check in staff it is immediately seen as clear. I had a 50 round MTM box in another part of my clothing, with a rubber band round it - they were happy with that.

Just allow a bit more time for check-in, as it will require going to desk as against a quick'n'easy done outside on way in. Oh and - check with airline - just one or two won't play ball - most will tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

take it because its whats next to zero that will get you.

Administrator
    Just call the airline and ask them what you need to do. What P95 said is not far off the mark, but each airline has their own rules.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Take it. It's not too hard. I just took mine with me for the first time last month. I went from Tulsa to Denver.

I was nervous and thought it would take a long time, but it didn't. Leaving Tulsa, it was breeze. Leaving Denver took a little more time (different airline with slightly different procedure) but it was no major hassle.

And I was glad I had it with me.

Take It With You...

I have flown with mine several times...no problems!

Just the time that you think you will have "0" problems...you'll wish you had it with you...Murphy's...

Keep in concealed...make it a game...will anyone know? Probably not!

Maybe grandma and grandpa might just surprise you with their own CCW's.........can alway hope!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

call the airline and go on line to get the information. then give yourself some extry time at check in. should not be any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    No problem--do some searches here, check airline policies, but, in short, gun & unloaded mags=locked in a hard case, with you having the only key; ammo=locked in a separate container, with the ammo in either original packaging or in a container (bullet box) designed to carry ammo--no loose rounds. Both cases can be in the same checked bag. Be sure to declare firearms at the counter--DO NOT curbside check your bags

My grandparents don't know about the CCW, and I'd hate to have something come up
    Simple--do not tell them. My grandparents don't know I carry and I've been to their house many times.

I don't like ever having my gun outside of my possesion.
    Agreed--don't do it

There's a next to zero chance that I'd ever need it there, and there's long guns aplenty in the house.
    Good--go to Vegas and put it all on Black. What about out and around town?

Mike in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    No problem--do some searches here, check airline policies, but, in short, gun & unloaded mags=locked in a hard case, with you having the only key; ammo=locked in a separate container, with the ammo in either original packaging or in a container (bullet box) designed to carry ammo--no loose rounds. Both cases can be in the same checked bag. Be sure to declare firearms at the counter--DO NOT curbside check your bags
    Almost exactly my experience when flying with my carry pistol. However, I have complied with the policy of having ammo in it's original container, with no need to lock it up.

Every time, I've found that they are concerned about the handgun, and not about the ammo. I simply put the ammo in its original box and put it in the luggage--they never look at it, but always take a look at the pistol.

It's hilarious to watch some of the TSA folks...they stare at the gun in it's lockbox like it's a snoozing rattler, then just have me lock it in and off it goes, with a bright tag inside the luggage along with the locked box.

Above all, check your carrier's policy and comply with that, not with the advice you get here. I always fly Northwest and know how to work with them; other carriers may vary.

It's really not a big deal, and I encourage you to take it with you, conceal well and be safe.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I've done the airport thing a bunch of times and never a problem.

Would suggest >>> a very sturdy aluminum case that is very lockable. Mine cost me $150 but you can get them cheaper. It's about the size of a briefcase only 5 1/2 inches thick for two handguns.

Same as rifle for check-in. The airline people won't even attempt to touch the evil thing. Just sign that it is unloaded.

Your on your way.

BTW the case MUST(!!) be well padded. -----

Would you bring your self-defense tools on a trip into the wilds, an hour away? Would you bring them on a trip into town? Would a trip to any other location be necessarily any less dangerous?

There's a next to zero chance that I'd ever need it there ...
    You know this for certain? The thing about crime is this: you do not generally know when or where it's going to occur. That's why it's a surprise when it happens. The initiation of crime isn't in our control, and our ability to guide the flow of the crime is only impacted insofar as we are armed and able to defend. Want to be able to do that? Go armed. Though, if you desperately want to keep this a secret from family, then you've got a decision to make.

The airline will know how to handle it. Since 9/11/2001, it's a bit more onerous, but the steps are basically the same: bring a locked case and the unloaded, locked, open firearm to the counter; be sure to have TSA-approved locks, as the nit pickers will want to be able to open it at will to verify it's what you've said it is; they'll have you pack it with the appropriate dayglo tag signifying a firearm is packed in there; they'll check the bag onto the plane. Call the airline in advance for details, or check their web site for info. Works fine.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 10th, 2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Would you bring them in a car?
    Would you keep them out of tar?

Could you use it to defend your life?
    Or would you use it to protect your life?

Do you know when you will need it?
    Or do you carry only when *you* see fit?

Only criminals know the time and place
    Of when they rob, rape or break into your place

My responsibility is not to fight crime
    But to defend me, my family and what is rightfully mine.

(written at the end of a very long and boring mid-shift)

cat in the hat logic

... a just defender of family is who I am.
    Concealed carrier, Sam I am.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links