OWB while in restaurant

This is a discussion on OWB while in restaurant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's cool so your wearing a jacket or coat, tucked in shirt, and OWB, what do you do while sitting in the restaurant? A Keep ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: OWB while in restaurant

OWB while in restaurant

It's cool so your wearing a jacket or coat, tucked in shirt, and OWB, what do you do while sitting in the restaurant?

A Keep your jacket on all the time?
    B Sit in a booth with your sidearm towards the wall and remove your jacket? Putting it on each time you go to get up?
    C Leave it in the car?

I could see that while the sidearm is out of sight while sitting and no jacket, it is still considered open carry while you were sitting down.

What is your take?

This is one of the questions I'll have for my trainer at CCW class.

Mike
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

A) would be the only choice for me
    B) no open carry here so that wouldn't fly
    C) may as well leave it home
    gatorbait51 and Warhawk71 like this.

Concealment garment stays on and I try to sit with my armed side towards the wall.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

slide jacket off shoulders and leave wrapped around waist concealing the gun,if you get up put jacket back on,Usually in a Restaurant once I sit down I'm not getting up til I'm leaving
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Normal open carry is defined as some or all of the gun being viable so in the strictness sense of the law if it can been seen then it open carry. I would just keep the jacket on unless you are too hot in it . Cause what if you had to get up fast etc everyone could see it.

I owb a lot and I tend to keep a jacket on or cover shirt over it if I owb. It depends on where I am eating if there is no achol serve it dont matter but if boze is for sale it has to stay concealed (and you have to have a permit to do that , otherwise we can carry open or ccw any where with out a permit )
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I got a ScotteVest (jacket with removable sleeves, actually) to wear over a long sleeve shirt for my winter carry, for this very reason. It's warm enough to keep me from getting too cold without another jacket, and I can add sleeves if necessary. Unzipped and sleeveless it's cool enough and not too odd looking to keep wearing.

If I still lived in MN it'd be more of a problem, on account of needing a heavier coat.

Funny thing, people always worry about concealing in warm weather clothing, with my particular wardrobe choices I have the opposite problem.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Does your gun fit in a coat pocket? While in your car move your gun to your coat pocket. Then inside you can take it off and lay it next to you or on your lap.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Evil I!
    Wildhorse!
    Battle Born!

Unless I'm cold I take off my jacket, hang it off my chair, sit and eT. Not a fan of booths. Or jackets unless its down below 25 outside.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

I always sit facing the entrance, firearm remains concealed...coat stays on.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If the jackets to warm I take it off eat and put it back on. OC is legal here though. Nobody calls the National Guard over the glimpse of a sidearm here
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

By 'jacket', I presume the originator means a heavy, parka or other cold weather device? As opposed to a sports coat type 'jacket'?

For cold weather, along with outside, heavy jackets I have a small collection of sleeveless 'sweater-vests'. They both keep me warm with my heavy jacket off, and they hide my sidearm in an outside waistband holster. And they give me that 'distinguished' old man look.
    Recon1342 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hiknmik View Post
    It's cool so your wearing a jacket or coat, tucked in shirt, and OWB, what do you do while sitting in the restaurant?

A Keep your jacket on all the time?
    B Sit in a booth with your sidearm towards the wall and remove your jacket? Putting it on each time you go to get up?
    C Leave it in the car?

I could see that while the sidearm is out of sight while sitting and no jacket, it is still considered open carry while you were sitting down.

What is your take?

This is one of the questions I'll have for my trainer at CCW class.

Mike
    If I have a jacket on, I'll try to wear sweater, sweat-shirt or vest under the coat. For the first two, just tie the sleeves around your waist above the gun. If it's vest, it's buttoned shut, the owb holster outside of it and the jacket open to be swept back (the bottom of it) if I should need to draw when outside. When inside at the restaurant, vest is left open and conceals my guns fine - even full-size ones. It's a leather vest. Just get a vest that's got a longish style.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    You could always untuck your shirt while your there. Of course if in a suit, that might not be an option, in that case leave your jacket on. OR move to an OC friendly state and not worry about it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nice down vest filled the bill for me years ago when lived in the cold white north.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No matter the weather my guns stay concealed. I never wear a tuck in shirt. I have tucked a shirt at Two Weddings but, I used pocket carry for my back up and a Tuckable Holster for main carry. For the last few years I have been wearing the pullover Dressy ( Don Johnson Style ) shirt under my Sport Coat for Weddings or Funerals. I never carry in a way that I would have to keep a jacket on and be too warm. I carry every day all day. 99% of the time I carry Two Guns. The largest is a Glock 26 or my 617 Taurus. I also carry Five shot Snubs and once in a while a NAA 22 Mag. Even Marshal says you must learn to dress around your Gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links