So, how do I break it to my mostly anti gun Dad I'm carrying when he visits?

This is a discussion on So, how do I break it to my mostly anti gun Dad I'm carrying when he visits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background: I grew up in an anti gun household in NJ. My pops hates guns (altho believes citizens have the right to own them-mainly to ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: So, how do I break it to my mostly anti gun Dad I'm carrying when he visits?

Background:

I grew up in an anti gun household in NJ. My pops hates guns (altho believes citizens have the right to own them-mainly to protect themselves from tyranny)

Has several friends that owns them and knows I have several. He doesn't like it, won't talk to me about them and certainly won't go to the range with me.

I just moved to Fl 3 months ago and you better bet your ass I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to here.

He is staying with me for 4or 5 days next month. Do not believe in not carrying when I can. urphy's law and all.

Sould I even bother and just put my pm9 on behind closed doors and not leave anything out? Or do I say hey pops, I love you, am a big boy and this is no discussion. Just letting you know I a legally licensed to carry and do. He knows I do as I have mentioned it, but is don't tell a better option?

What would you do? He may ask me not to if he is with me, but I won't not carry. Not an option.

Your a big boy now. The days of validating are long over. Do as you please.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Take him to the range. I bet he would get a "kick" out of it.

I actually think that it would lead to something to talk about. That he might well ask questions about it all. And really am not kidding, you might end up at the range with his wanting to try your weapon out.

Lets face it; It was a different time for pops. And he had small children to worry about.

Now, he might be open to different things. And lets face it; Guys like to shoot guns, lol.

Why do you feel the need to tell him? It is your house, he is now a guest. If he doesn't like your rules he is more than able to stay elsewhere.

I am sure he said those exact words to you once or more. You are adults now.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; November 15th, 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Just carry on, no need to discuss it with him at all in my opinion. No need to know its under your shirt if you're out to dinner, and he never would know unless something horrible happened. And in that case, odds are he'd be glad it was there.
    Last edited by romac; November 16th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Sould I even bother and just put my pm9 on behind closed doors and not leave anything out? Or do I say hey pops, I love you, am a big boy and this is no discussion. Just letting you know I a legally licensed to carry and do.

this
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Your house, your rules. His house, his rules. I don't carry at my Dad's house becuae he has said no firearms. I don't argue with him. My house my rules. We are both adults and that is how it should be.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Take him to the range. I bet he would get a "kick" out of it.

I actually think that it would lead to something to talk about. That he might well ask questions about it all. And really am not kidding, you might end up at the range with his wanting to try your weapon out.

Lets face it; It was a different time for pops. And he had small children to worry about.

Now, he might be open to different things. And lets face it; Guys like to shoot guns, lol.
    I have asked him several xs over the past yr.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Unless he is paying the bills anything you do in your own home is none of his business. Tell him, don't tell him- doesn't really matter. Do as you please and let him deal with it. I personally wouldn't tell him. Just as I don't tell my dad that I carry when not in uniform. He wouldn't have a problem with it but I'd have to hear my step-mom's mouth and I'm just not willing to deal with that.
    gatorbait51, OD*, Mdauben and 1 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

When I lived with my parents, I followed their rules. Well, most of them anyways. Your house, your rules, now. If you feel like it and think it may ease the situation, I don't see much harm in putting up anything that may be normally left out (but still keeping it accessible if needed). However, as far as carrying while he's there, time to test your concealed set-up. Carry on and see if he even notices.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Unless he is paying the bills anything you do in your own home is none of his business. Tell him, don't tell him- doesn't really matter. Do as you please and let him deal with it. I personally wouldn't tell him. Just as I don't tell my dad that I carry when not in uniform. He wouldn't have a problem with it but I'd have to hear my step-mom's mouth and I'm just not willing to deal with that.
    Funny, I had huge blowout with her about guns before I moved and he actually took my Simeon personal ownership of them

I didn't tell her I was carrying last week when she came down and we went to dinner ;)

I will not be informing him and will go abt my biz.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboyeee View Post
    Background:

I grew up in an anti gun household in NJ. My pops hates guns (altho believes citizens have the right to own them-mainly to protect themselves from tyranny)

Has several friends that owns them and knows I have several. He doesn't like it, won't talk to me about them and certainly won't go to the range with me.

I just moved to Fl 3 months ago and you better bet your ass I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to here.

He is staying with me for 4or 5 days next month. Do not believe in not carrying when I can. urphy's law and all.

Sould I even bother and just put my pm9 on behind closed doors and not leave anything out? Or do I say hey pops, I love you, am a big boy and this is no discussion. Just letting you know I a legally licensed to carry and do. He knows I do as I have mentioned it, but is don't tell a better option?

What would you do? He may ask me not to if he is with me, but I won't not carry. Not an option.
    Your home, your choices. His problem.

What I'd give to be able to be in your position.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Tell him you have a God-awful disease and that you only have 6 months to live. After he has a few minutes to chew on that tell him you are just kidding... you are only pro 2A. It'll put things in perspective.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What I'd give to be able to be in your position.
    Thats what I was thinking.

OP C.A.N.T. ( carry always never tell )
    gatorbait51 and Yetiman like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links