Small ankle concealed carry holster, whats the best?

Small ankle concealed carry holster, whats the best?

This is a discussion on Small ankle concealed carry holster, whats the best? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister is looking for a new small pistol for conceal carry in an ankel holster. she currently has a 9MM beretta Px4 storm and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Small ankle concealed carry holster, whats the best?

Question Small ankle concealed carry holster, whats the best?

My sister is looking for a new small pistol for conceal carry in an ankel holster. she currently has a 9MM beretta Px4 storm and says it is to large and cumbersom for her to easaly carry other then in her purse. I showed her a S&W 380 body guard, she said she liked it but wanted sum other choices. she wants a 380 or 22. she is scared of the recoil of a fire arm so somthing with as minimal of a recoil as possible. also she likes that her beretta has a decocker. I thank you now for your opinions on the matter.

Lead Moderator
    Many other small pistols and revolvers to choose from. Ruger LCP, beretta makes a few tip up barrel autos, ect. Ankle carry isn't really ideal , too hard to access you gun in a situation most times and the weapon tends to collect dirt being close to the ground.
    robhic likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Galco makes some great holsters for ankle carry. I can easily, and comfortably carry a S&W J Frame 38 spc in a galco ankle glove, and even easier carry a ruger LCP in a less substantial galco ankle holster.

Btw, glaco also makes a "boot extension" for the ankle holsters to allow them to fit around boots. That might be a concern for your sister.

I think a glock 26 would work for her as well. I will advise this much; FIRST pick the most reliable pistols. Then narrow down your list.

Who cares if its an easy pistol to carry, if it wont reliably chamber & shoot?

Perhaps a Ch Arms .38spcl (+P rated) snub at 13 oz.
    A Kel Tec .380acp 7+1 (+P rated) at 8 oz. (the only sidearm my wife will carry). She has a 1st Gen and a 4th Gen. Tiny hands & wrists.

Since 38 spcl and .380acp (9x17) are minimal, be certain they are +P for carry. The non +P ammo can be used for practice.
    Self Defense is pretty much limited to ~20 feet anyway, after that, a shoot gets harder to defend.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by draygunn View Post
    My sister is looking for a new small pistol for conceal carry in an ankel holster. she currently has a 9MM beretta Px4 storm and says it is to large and cumbersom for her to easaly carry other then in her purse. I showed her a S&W 380 body guard, she said she liked it but wanted sum other choices. she wants a 380 or 22. she is scared of the recoil of a fire arm so somthing with as minimal of a recoil as possible. also she likes that her beretta has a decocker. I thank you now for your opinions on the matter.
    I've tried a few holsters of ankle CC'ing a SW 342 with no luck. So I stopped trying. I'm sorry but I have nothing to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Galco makes some great holsters for ankle carry. I can easily, and comfortably carry a S&W J Frame 38 spc in a galco ankle glove, and even easier carry a ruger LCP in a less substantial galco ankle holster.

Btw, glaco also makes a "boot extension" for the ankle holsters to allow them to fit around boots. That might be a concern for your sister.

I think a glock 26 would work for her as well. I will advise this much; FIRST pick the most reliable pistols. Then narrow down your list.

Who cares if its an easy pistol to carry, if it wont reliably chamber & shoot?
    I'm a lineman. Not all of our subs ban firearms. For those that don't, it's a trick to wear a 5-point-harnis while CC'ing. The ankle is not an option due to the climbing spikes we strap to our calves. Hip and apex aren't options due to the harnis itself; either the gun interferes with the harnis or the harnis prevents even delayed draw.

The best compromise I've found so far is to wear Carheart bibs and CC a S&W642 or Beratta Nano in the chest pocket.

First off I would not do ankle carry unless you are driving or sitting at a table ( about the only two where you have a hope to grab it fast ) just get pocket carry .

I would get a sig 238 380 semi auto with this 413049.jpg or CD rounds in you caliber and the CT laser with holster combo pocket . The sig 238 is one of the softest 380 I have ever fired .

Also if you do get a lcp/p3at etc get a good rubber grip wrap and a mag extenstion ( garrsion grips makes some nice ones ) it helps alot .

Also here are some other choice that nice CC or that arrae guns :
    Beretta84FSL.jpg Bretta 84 380 slim but bigger gun so great for owb/iwb and heavy gun
    or this version Beretta86_C.jpg same gun but no need to rack the slide
    also check out the s&w ladysmith gun nice ones I think ( heck I would like some of them )

26944.jpg 9mm version or the 38 version file1a70df5d82e542bba586c3f384b00717.jpg ( this be great ) get some low recoil 38 rounds ( they have pink tip ones now ) and this Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Grip S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Monogrip: Sports & Outdoors these are the rounds 948884.jpg

And of course the sig 238 is great gun

But do let here try out the gun ( and if you can let her try it out with grip wraps ) some 380s I know I wont even shoot til I wrap them

Also if you must do 22 get a whel gun less problems and get the hoteseted round you can find or get a 22 mag . I also hear 32mag is a soft round

On ankle carry:

Alot of people disprove of it because of the draw time. This is true but when in a car or in a seated position to me it is much more comfortable and easier to draw than something in your pocket.

I like it (mostly for backup) because it is convenient, comfortable, and out of the way.

I have carried a Walther P22 in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster and it works pretty well.

The Walther P22 may be to big for her liking to ankle carry. I have a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR that I usually pocket carry but I suspect it would be a sweet ankle carrier too.

I have wanted for a long time a Smith and Wesson J frame revolver in .22lr. This bypasses the concern of rimfire reliability in an automatic.

Good luck,
    Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

VIP Member
    Not a fan of ankle carry for primary gun, for reasons already stated by others. If it is the only option though, I'd opt for a snub nose .38.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Jframe...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My best advice would that she look in another direction. Ankle holsters became popular in the 60's with a movie (Ther french connection). Over the years I only have horror stories to relate, one of them personal.

After cashing a check... I was walking home when I noticed a guy following me. I had no doubt he was stalking me.. no problem... I have a gun, in an ankle holster. Walking in public I had to figure how to draw without kneeling or squatting. As he was closing in I leaned against a car and raised my leg. Seeing me draw he found something else very interesting somewhere else.

While working in a narcotics detail my team ended up chasing a perp through hill and dale and empty lots. One patrol officer involved in the chase was wearing his second gun in an ankle holster. Somewhere during the chase his gun came out of the holster... He recieved a complaint on his record, lost 10 vacation days, and had to buy a new gun.

On my second job I happened into an electrical supply house, where I encountered a do it yourselfer. I helped him order his supplies, and drew him a diagram for his project. Being gratefull he gave me his business card. He was a chiropracter {sp}. So I asked him about the back pain I had been having.. we talked for a few minutes and when he found out I spent most my time working as a cop... he laughed and said "this is an easy one" His advice was to STOP WEARING THE ANKLE HOLSTER, and dont sit on the memo/ticket book when riding in a car. I got rid of the ankle holster and pack pains went away.

My experience is thatAnkle holsters are almost impossible to draw from in a tight situation. Do not stand up well in physical situations. As explained to me Our bodies are a perfect balance, and an ankle holster throws off that balance and pulls the spine. The last thing is most cops , and most robbers as well can spot an ankle holster in a NY second.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    The Kel-Tec P-3AT is very comfortable on my ankle. In some situations it is my only choice and I'm thankful to have it there. It's not my first choice for concealed carry locations, but it's better than not being armed at all.

And no one can see anything under a BDU pant leg.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

ankle carry is not a real good option but if you do it get a holster that has a support strap also
    A small light .38 revolver or something like the Ruger LCP

Get het signed up for a woman's shoot in your area! Did my wife a lot of good and she found the 22 way to small after shooting. I always advise renting at the very least prior to buying. There are many womemns groups now, and that is best as they really help to talk them into at least trying larger pistols. It is really a neat way to get someone into shooting! Good luck! I would let her try the ones she wants, then ask her to move up. Easier that way.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My son ankle carries a Kel Tec. Its light weight, small, and the holster laces into his boots. I believe its made by Galco. its about the only ankle carry system I've seen that resembles comfortable. Having shot his little 380 though its not comfortable to shoot. Someone above suggested a couple 380s that might work for your Sis who is recoil shy. The little Sig 238 [ I think ] its a a shrunkin 1911. That and the colt mustang. both of these guns fire from a closed breech. So they don't have that snap of a blowback design. The other is the Beretta 84. Its just a little bigger than the others but it makes it so much easier to shoot well. If she wants to body carry, all of these can be done but she will have to make some changes to her personal style. good luck DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links