Owb questions

This is a discussion on Owb questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm curious.... Why do some choose owb carry as opposed to iwb? Is it comfort? I am curious because carrying my Glock 26 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Owb questions

Owb questions

Hey guys, I'm curious.... Why do some choose owb carry as opposed to iwb? Is it comfort? I am curious because carrying my Glock 26 iwb, it seems like it would be hard to draw in a self defense situation, but easier with an owb holster.

One more question, what is a good owb for Glock 26? I have a family and friends discount I have to use tomorrow hahahahahaha looking in the $60 and under range is possible!! Thank you guys

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I do both, concealed, doenst affect my draw speed either way. Summer Im more likely to be IWB under a T shirt winter i might be OWB just because its easier to cover when I take off my jacket with say a sweatshirt. Though I have OWB under a T shirt as well in summer once in a while.
    40Bob likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I love OWB it is commfy yes and easy to draw from. The only downside is that if you live in a state that is not ok with Open carry it can be a wee bit harder to hid the gun if a big one . But I have OC a 92fs and others and unless you looked hard you could not tell I was packing and all I had on was t shirt and a fishing jacket . With a small gun it vanishes. I also look really bad in a one size larger pant so I cant go up a size to fit a iwb ..

I have this for my bodygaurd 380 the cant is perfect and it is comffy http://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Scabbard-Glock-Right-Black/dp/B003LWJVLI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&
    qid=1384661236&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=mini+scarbed+glock+26

and this is very nice holster too Amazon.com: Galco Concealable Belt Holster for Glock 26, 27, 33 (Black, Right-hand): Sports & Outdoors

Most any thing galco or de santis is ok normal .

I also have a few fav online shops if you cant find localy

Try to avoid uncle mike etc one size fit all holster ( I have only one gun that the holster works for )

Also note you will need a good cop belt to carry esp owb . I used to wear a normal leather belt and about drop my 9mm a couple of times . I have a galco one and it is great looks like a nice dress belt but has plastic linning that holds up most any gun

Also there is a post here on it Best OWB options for a Glock 26?

I only wear owb/pocket so I have more then a few holster that I have tried out ..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Comfort and ease of access for me. Don't want to have to dig it out if needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I love OWB it is commfy yes and easy to draw from. The only downside is that if you live in a state that is not ok with Open carry it can be a wee bit harder to hid the gun if a big one . But I have OC a 92fs and others and unless you looked hard you could not tell I was packing and all I had on was t shirt and a fishing jacket . With a small gun it vanishes. I also look really bad in a one size larger pant so I cant go up a size to fit a iwb ..

I have this for my bodygaurd 380 the cant is perfect and it is comffy http://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Scabbard-Glock-Right-Black/dp/B003LWJVLI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&
    qid=1384661236&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=mini+scarbed+glock+26

and this is very nice holster too Amazon.com: Galco Concealable Belt Holster for Glock 26, 27, 33 (Black, Right-hand): Sports & Outdoors

Most any thing galco or de santis is ok normal .

I also have a few fav online shops if you cant find localy

Try to avoid uncle mike etc one size fit all holster ( I have only one gun that the holster works for )

Also note you will need a good cop belt to carry esp owb . I used to wear a normal leather belt and about drop my 9mm a couple of times . I have a galco one and it is great looks like a nice dress belt but has plastic linning that holds up most any gun

Also there is a post here on it Best OWB options for a Glock 26?

I only wear owb/pocket so I have more then a few holster that I have tried out ..
    What's a good belt.?

Just an aside but I IWB and OWB with the same holser. Not to be confused with OC carry though. For that its a different holster.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    What's a good belt.?

It depenes if you want leather or nylon and want kind of buckle you want .

I like the COP series by galco they work for all my clothing and seem to most any gun up .. Most holster makers make belts as well . My problem is I ware a weird size so finding a belt is harder thus Galco .

I know a lot of people like these Tactical Belts, Duty Belt, Military Belt, Instructor Belt but I prefer leather .. Galco makes a lot of differnt kinds Amazon.com: galco leather belt.

But yeah iwb/owb alwasy have a good belt and good holster . I about learn that when my old belt gave out and near droped my gun .

also make note of what size it is in terms of loops ( 1.5 etc) some holster dont work with some belts just need to make sure of it . 1.5 seems to be commen

It's easier to get a good grip fast with OWB. You don't have to dig into your spare tire. Or buy bigger jeans.

It's easier to hide IWB. That same spare tire you avoided OWB now has a grip pressed into it.

I find IWB the way to go. Hides better and (for me) draws better. I buy my jeans big to accommodate IWB carry. If I carry OWB, now I have a VERY loose fitting pair of jeans on. When I draw, I get a self inflicted wedgie first, and then the holster releases the gun. It sucks.

If I wear my Levis, that's a whole different ballgame. Then I can go OWB. Still lifts the jeans a bit when I pull.

I carry OWB about 99% of the time. I find it much more comfortable. The belt becomes a bigger deal OWB since the holster is hanging off of it instead of being sandwiched between the belt and you.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

If carrying all day, OWB is def. more comfortable. I recently bought an OWB to wear while walking in the woods hunting. Just more comfortable than having a pistol shoved in you pants. I do prefer the IWB though, like previously stated, its easier to hide. OWB is just too easily exposed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The sport/combat holster made by Glock is a surprisingly good owb holster.

GLOCK USA
    bigdogtx likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    A lot depends on what you get used to. I started out CC 100% of the time, using a IWB holster. Over the years I've evolved into OC probably 90% of the time. I still carry IWB the majority of the time. Comfort has never been an issue for me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

For me, every time I tried to carry on the belt behinds my hip, it bothered my back. I moved to in the waistband at about 2:OK and found it to be most comfortable. I weighed 280 and carried as big as a Clock 21. I have also carried 4" Revolvers. These days I weigh 200. I carry Five shot 357 Snubs or a Glock 26. I carry my main gun in the waist at about 2:OK and my back up is in my pocket. Every day all day.

I choose OWB because stuffing a holster inside my pants was uncomfortable. I tried various IWB designs and materials, including the popular hybrid style such as Crossbreed offers, Milt Sparks' VM-II, and Garrett Industries Silent Thunder with and without oversized pants to no avail.

The OWB holster I liked the best initially was the Galco Concealable until I bought a Milt Sparks Axiom holster. Between the Axiom and the Fist Inc. #42 Driving Holster, I'm quite pleased with carrying OWB. They ride easy and securely. They also provide great access to grip and present the pistol.

Carrying OWB, I think a person should have a gun belt built specifically to bear the weight of a holstered gun. I've used belts from the Beltman, Aker, and 5.11. Department store belts are insufficient to that task in my experience.

Lastly, using OWB holsters requires a little more thought to one's mode of dress than other methods of carry if concealment is the goal. I, and others, often use untucked shirts for this task. There are a great many shirts available, either made for the purpose of concealment like those offered by 5.11, Wildnerness Tactical, and Woolrich Elite, or just off of the rack at the local JC Penney or Target store, that are perfectly suitable. I just recently bought three square-hemmed buttoned short-sleeved shirts that are nearly too nice to wear with rumpled jeans and knockaround shoes at Penneys. Your sense of fashion may differ, but my idea of being presentable in public is limited to making sure my left sock matches the right sock.

All said, you are going to be final arbiter of what works for you; largely through your own experimentation regardless of the advice you'll get in this thread. Have fun with the challenge. There is no one single right way. There is only what you end up liking.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Owb. I have a lot of good Iwb but shoving the holster and a G27 in my pants isn't comfortable at all. With a good holster it maybe not so bad. But compared to owb which feels like no change. I don't have a spare tire either. Just with a shirt its easy to conceal with a good pancake holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links