PA Training Regulations

This is a discussion on PA Training Regulations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious to here what other people think on the issue. At my current employer, which will remain unamed, I had inquired about certain training. ...

Thread: PA Training Regulations

PA Training Regulations

Just curious to here what other people think on the issue. At my current employer, which will remain unamed, I had inquired about certain training. I work for a private security organization and PA is funny about armed guards and they require you to have a new certification for everything that you carry on your duty belt. Well when I inquired about OC spray I was told that at the end of training you must be sprayed with OC spray... I think I can handle that. When I inquired about Tazer training they said at the end of the course you have to be tazered. I think I am afraid to ask about handgun training. They claim it is a liability issue incase a judge asks you if you know what it feels like. Well if a judge asks me if I know what it feels like to be tazered I would preferably like to say "No your honor I do not, but I feel it was much more suitable than shooting him with my .45 cal handgun". What are your thoughts and your opinions regarding this?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Liability is not the main issue.
    Your Employer will not be charged with a Crime if you use a
    Lethal weapon in the course of your job without the required
    training , YOU WILL .

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...avPage=|30438|

PA Law states that the following are lethal weapons:
    * Pistols
    * Revolvers
    * Billy Clubs
    * Nightsticks
    * Rifles
    * Shotguns

Even "non lethal" weapons such as OC or Tazers may cause serious
    injury or death.

Remember - as a security person , you are NOT a Law Enforcement
    officer OR a private Citizen - you are basically a Hired Gun.

PA requires the training for you to do your job - simple as that.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree. I am just wondering why they consider it necessary to spray/taze me. I guess what I am asking what's next? If I ask for handgun training do I have to be shot? Where does the crazyness end? Is it worth it for $10 an hour? I don't see the point in being harmed during training. I would much rather take my chances of that happening while I am on duty. I wasn't questioning the training at all and I would recommend to get as much training as possible. I just think being tazed/sprayed is rediculous. It really serves no purpose. It is like saying wow am a EMS technician... Do I have to know what it feels like to die in order to do my job? No. That is my main issue.

The tazing is no big deal, as it's instant pain that goes away as soon as the tazer is turned off. No lingering effects or anything. The spray on the other hand, can really screw up your sense of smell and sight for a while.

edit; if I were in your position, I'd take the tazer training, but not the spray. Take the handgun course, NO it doesn't require you to be shot at the end.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Not a LEO and never played one on TV... But I have been OC certified for the same reason, Private Security. A 10 second search of any police training related site will tell you why almost all trainers want you to know what it is like to either feel the burn (OC) or ride the lightning (Tazer/stun guns). The main reason is so that you can personally KNOW what the effects of each are like, and that you can still fight and survive after being hit with them. This is to prepare you in case either gets used against you, or you get cross-contaminated/hit with "friendly fire" in the case of OC. Also, having felt the effects of these non-lethal weapons, you can better articulate in court your decision to use them, should such occur.

Fun little training video...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

SCHAAD? I know some LEOs that had to be shot with a vest on as part of their training. I also know a SCHAAD Detective (local private security) that had to get his ACT 235 and he never mentioned getting shot.

I was seriously joking about being "shot". I was just being sarcastic. I was just wondering the reason behing the oc/tazer issue. and actually I work for schaad and I am in the process of getting my act 235 :). Not going to go into any detail where I work as far as the security purpose goes though.

Links