Question concerning Colorado CCW Laws

This is a discussion on Question concerning Colorado CCW Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all this is aimed towards Any Colorado Residents and Colorado Law Enforcement. Any help is greatly appreciated My Fiancee and I have recently visited ...

Thread: Question concerning Colorado CCW Laws

Hey all this is aimed towards Any Colorado Residents and Colorado Law Enforcement. Any help is greatly appreciated
    My Fiancee and I have recently visited your beautiful state and we have fallen in love with your lil slice of heaven and we are serious considering a long and somewhat painful transition(that painful drive down I-70 thru Kansas.. sorry all from Kansas but it is a horrible ride it seems to never end) to your wonderful state. My home state of Indiana came up with this wonderful idea of a Lifetime CCW permit .. (Yes I said Lifetime You pay 100.00 one time and you have a license for life) I found this out and jumped on it who knows how long it will go on. My question is If we do move to Colorado -greater denver area to start I.E. Thornton, Manchester, S.W.A.C somewhere in that area or Greeley/Loveland area and become residents, Is my Lifetime permit valid, I know Colorado has reciporcity with Indiana but once i become a resident of Colorado and no longer Indiana is that lifetime CCW permit still valid?? Also heard that there is some apprehension or dislike by Denver with CCW practices .. is this a load of junk or is it true and has anyone had any bad experiences with ccw by DMPD? Looking to move to Colorado by the vast oppertunity in L.E. oppertunities there. Any Help is appreciated also anyone with tips or pointers as far as which Depts are hiring/good to start out at would also be appreciated was looking into Adams Co Sheriff dept Heard you get hired work in the jail for a year and then transition to street work .... is this true HMMMM
    thanks for reading my book,
    James

According to handgunlaw.us Colorado honors non-resident permits from states whose permits it recognizes. However, packing.org says that Indiana only issues non-resident licenses to people with a regular place of business or employment in the state. So the problem may not be Colorado honoring your permit, but rather whether your Indiana permit is still valid at all after you move away from there.

VIP Member
    I agree. The question is, will Indiana say your permit is valid after you are not a resident?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

You will have to get a CO drivers license within thirty days after you move here. You will be considered a resident of CO, not of IN.
    You can go to the sheriffs office and get a CO permit. Already having one from IN should speed things up. You will find there are less restrictions here. Also CO is honored in a lot of states. IN may recoginize /honor your life time if you visit. IN will honor a CO permit.

Semper Fi

Another option would be to go ahead and get a permit from a state that issues non-resident permits that are honored in Colorado (Utah and Florida are easy to get and honored in 25+ states). Then once you move, you could go ahead and get a Colorado permit, so you can carry in states that only recognize resident permits.

Welcome

Come to SW Colorado near Durango sometime for a visit. We moved here in '99 after 33 years in Houston and love it.

My wife and I bought got our permits a couple of weeks ago. I taught the Texas training 39 times to about 1200 people before moving here. Oddly, Colorado requires training, but does not define how much or what must be included. Texas was very well-defined as to content and time. Texas permits all come out of DPS in Austin; Colorado's all come through your local County Sheriff.

I think everyone else has gotten the highlights, but just to summarize...

The problem is that once you are a resident of CO, your IN license is no longer valid as a "non-resident" license in CO. You're not a resident of IN, and you're not a non-resident of CO. Make sense?

The good news is that CO is a "shall issue" state. The bad news is that CO does not issue lifetime licenses--you will have to renew periodically.

More

Also, Colorado doesn't require a CCW permit if your gun is concealed in your car, or while hunting (if I'm wrong, someone correct me).

The bad part about this state is that there is no water (everybody's fighting over what little water there is), ponds and dams are called "lakes". The cost of living out here is horrendous!!!! My car insurance went up 4X, my car registration went up 6X+, my house payment (for a smaller house) went up 4X+, that's just for starters....

As far as I know, most L.E. agencies that pay a livable wage require you to start in the jail, at least at the county level. Most cities don't have their own jail, so obviously you wouldn't start working in one.
    Be cautious of the State Patrol, according to a couple troopers I know, the state DOES NOT cover their health insurance, so they must pay it all out of pocket, also be careful on their application if you try out with them.

I had a similar question since I have a Florida permit so I sent an e-mail to the AG and below is the response. However, The Indiana section IC 35-47-2-3 which governs the process for applying for an application does specifically refer to non-residents submitting their application to the sheriff of county that you have a regular place of business or employment in. I do not see any mention of a non resident permit for somebody that does not have a reason for regular visits to the state. So it would depend on whether or not Indiana allows you to keep your permit after leaving the state.

Good Luck!

*********Colorado AG reply****************

Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213) states that Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state.

Please see http://www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp for a current listing of which states recognize Colorado permits.

For more information on concealed carry weapons, please refer to: http://www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw/

Sincerely,
    Office of the Attorney General
    1525 Sherman Street, 7th Floor
    Denver, CO 80203

>>> "Tim Cotariu" <tcotariu@ix.netcom.com> 10/23/2006 914 AM >>>
    Dear Sir,

I understand that the State of Colorado will recognize the Concealed Weapons Permit of another state as long as that state, in turn, will recognize a permit issued by the State of Colorado AND the permit holder is 21 years of age.

I am however unable to find any specific reference to Colorado residents who may already hold an out of state permit. I ask this question because I have received conflicting information from local law enforcement officers I have spoken to. Some have said that since I am a current resident of Colorado, I need to have a permit issued by Colorado while other say that the Florida permit that I already have is acceptable.

Do I need to obtain a Colorado permit or can I legally carry based on my Florida permit? I do understand that in either case the restrictions on carry are based on the state where you are and not the state that issued the permit.

Thanks for your help in the matter.

Good as gold

You are good as gold on your Florida permit. Colorado does not make a distinction between residents and non-residents of Colorado when honoring out of state licenses. Many carry here on UT permits.

Here's a link to the original bill if you want to wade throug it yourself.

In case it wasn't addressed clearly enough already, yes, it's true that AdCo requires at least one year in the jail before moving to the streets. However, as an Adams resident of 25+ yrs, and having numerous LE friends in this area, including the jail, I would recommend it as a great place to start in CO. If you do end up moving out here, PM me and I'll show you the few decent places that we have to shoot here.

Sponsored Links