Confusion about Colorado Gun Law

This is a discussion on Confusion about Colorado Gun Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a family vacation to Colorado this coming summer.(Colorado recognizes Nebraska's CCW) However, I have some confusion as to the recently passed gun ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Confusion about Colorado Gun Law

I am considering a family vacation to Colorado this coming summer.(Colorado recognizes Nebraska's CCW) However, I have some confusion as to the recently passed gun laws. I use a S&W M&P 9mm for conceal carry. This gun has a magazine with a 17 bullet capacity.

According to the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) website the law is written that it is illegal to possess, sell or transfer a "large capacity" magazine. The large capacity magazine is defined as being able to hold more than 15 rounds.

I called the Colorado State Patrol and talked to their Public Relations Officer, Officer Trip. He said that since the magazine was purchased before the July 1 date and that I was Out-of-State it wouldn't be a problem. He also referred to the law as only regarding the sale or transfer. I also asked him if the Colorado Attorney General had written an opinion on the law which he replied that the AG had not, yet.

I'm wondering if any Colorado residents or anyone else has dealt with this issue and what have you come up with.
    Thanks for your assistance.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fltboyne View Post
    I am considering a family vacation to Colorado this coming summer.(Colorado recognizes Nebraska's CCW) However, I have some confusion as to the recently passed gun laws. I use a S&W M&P 9mm for conceal carry. This gun has a magazine with a 17 bullet capacity.

According to the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) website the law is written that it is illegal to possess, sell or transfer a "large capacity" magazine. The large capacity magazine is defined as being able to hold more than 15 rounds.

I called the Colorado State Patrol and talked to their Public Relations Officer, Officer Trip. He said that since the magazine was purchased before the July 1 date and that I was Out-of-State it wouldn't be a problem. He also referred to the law as only regarding the sale or transfer. I also asked him if the Colorado Attorney General had written an opinion on the law which he replied that the AG had not, yet.

I'm wondering if any Colorado residents or anyone else has dealt with this issue and what have you come up with.

Sure about this one?

Illegal to possess sounds like turn them in or sell them and I haven't seen or heard about the uproar that would sure to follow if that were the case....

CO mag law is weird man most state say either unless you lived in state and had the mags before date of ban you can not have them peroird ( CA ) ..To me reading the law http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...le=1224_01.pdf it seems they are going with some other state do and do the whole if made beofre this date it be legal . But I am not sure if that appiles to everone or just in state.

So my non law non lawyer adive is eithe :

A. bring proof that you bough said gun and mags before ban date

or just skip the hassly and bring a gun that only holds 15+1 . I mean you would just be two shy of a full load if you have 17+1 mag.

I only say the above as most post 94 are not date stamp so unless you can say here I owned this mag according this bill prior to ban there is no way or proving if said mag is pre date.

This is one case where having pre 94 or LEO marked mags be good or gun that is no longer made just say here this mags states made in 98 or whatever it is legal .

PS be carfule in Denver not 100% sure if they still have there own mag ban . I know they still banned AWB and 'junk' guns.

The original law did make it illegal to posses any magazine over 15 rounds, or any magazine that could be readily converted. It seems the anti-gun doofuses in Colorado didn't know much about guns and magazines at all.

The State has since done some backtracking:

The first change states that magazines which can be “readily converted” are only illegal if they have been converted to hold more than 15 rounds. Coloradans are now free to partake in conventionally lawful activities with their grandfathered magazines as well, such as loaning them to family and friends. It is now illegal only if people sell or give away their magazines. However, this guidance is only binding for state agencies, and does not necessarily apply to local governments.
    Colorado gun magazine bans clarified, lifted Watchdog.org
    Visit my blog at www.scgunblog.com
    Follow my on twitter @scgunblog

Obviously there should be no ban..That said,it should at least, be the way i was told it worked years ago, when they had the hi cap mags and the aw ban.If i remember correctly,when ban went into effect you could keep your hi cap mags just couldn't buy any.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    Obviously there should be no ban..That said,it should at least, be the way i was told it worked years ago, when they had the hi cap mags and the aw ban.If i remember correctly,when ban went into effect you could keep your hi cap mags just couldn't buy any.

During the 94 ban you could buy all the hi caps you wanted as long as they were made pre ban. You will still find mags that pre ban as some state MA require if mag or gun is evil that it be pre 94. The problem with CO is I cant tell if they are just going with that.. that is mag was made somewhere pre ban and it is legal or if they are doing what CA did and saying what is in state is all that will be legal if over 15 rounds.

Hopefully someone from CO or a lawyer will chime in soon . I cant make heads or tails or the silly thing ..

Someone on here should be able to help him.I think one of the moderators is from Co..I surely can't help him up there.

I have friends in Co. and I told that I was sorry but I would not be coming to see them because of there trend of taking away rights of there citizens and they wrote back that they were getting ready to tell me not to come and that this spring they were moving to Id and would be very happy leaving there after living there for 13yrs but looked forward to moving to a free state.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I have friends in Co. and I told that I was sorry but I would not be coming to see them because of there trend of taking away rights of there citizens and they wrote back that they were getting ready to tell me not to come and that this spring they were moving to Id and would be very happy leaving there after living there for 13yrs but looked forward to moving to a free state.

Yep . I dont plan on going there lest I have too.

As weird as it sounds I dont mind if some where has weird ( even if I peronsal think they are silly) gun laws but make the stuptid thing clear.

For example I know I can not legal go to CA with some of my guns ( banned by name) but I can go with others if I only have 10 round mags and a mag lock . I also know that I cant have more then 10 rounds unless they are parts kit but that is ilagl after this year . Nice and clear .

Look at CO I have no idea no what is legal and not are my 30 round 94 mark mags legal or not ? I dern wish they could just either " you can only bring or have 15 or less mags unless you own them in state prior to date " or just say " all hi caps are fine to bring in buy but only if you can prove they were made beofre date" so either on of thouse I be happy with just so it be clear ..

I'm no lawyer, and please don't mistake anything you read on the Internet for legal advice.

That said, you're fine bringing your "high capacity" mags, you just won't be able to buy any while you're here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

To the OP,,,,,,can't think of a better reason to get another gun,,,,,,Glock 19 or M&P .45 easily come to mind...... Diversity is good and you don't want to break the law......
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Don't worry, be happy!

The CO sheriffs oppose the mag ban, have stated there's no way to enforce it, joined in a lawsuit challenging the mag ban as unconstitutional.

When I was pulled over last week by the colorado state patrol for speeding, I had a 17 round mag in the gun. Officer disarmed me while checking my info, and returned the gun, mag, and the round that had been in the chamber, no comment/question about the mag.

You're good to go.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I only say the above as most post 94 are not date stamp so unless you can say here I owned this mag according this bill prior to ban there is no way or proving if said mag is pre date.
    I didn't check for date codes on my 1911 mags but since they're only 7 round capacity it's not an issue. But, my 30 round PMAGs that I bought with my AR15 are date stamped are date stamped March and April 2013 so they should be OK but I bought 10 - 30 round mags all with date stamps of 06/2013 (illegal in CO of course). I haven't seen any 15 round mags for an AR15 yet. Of course, I don't live in Colorado but it would've been nice to take all my 30 round mags to a range in Colorado. Not sure of what I did with my receipts either.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links