VA Question

This is a discussion on VA Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'll be traveling to VA this year for Christmas. Since NC and VA have reciprocity, I plan to carry. If a store or place of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA Question

VA Question

We'll be traveling to VA this year for Christmas. Since NC and VA have reciprocity, I plan to carry. If a store or place of business is posted "No Firearms", is VA the type of state like NC where it can result in an automatic trespass charge, or is it more like some other states where you can ignore it, and if you get caught you are asked to leave?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    We'll be traveling to VA this year for Christmas. Since NC and VA have reciprocity, I plan to carry. If a store or place of business is posted "No Firearms", is VA the type of state like NC where it can result in an automatic trespass charge, or is it more like some other states where you can ignore it, and if you get caught you are asked to leave?
    well, I don't believe I'd chance it, personally. If it says "No concealed" then I woud not carry, but if it says no weapons, that's kind of shady
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

VIP Member
    In VA if you are discovered a "representative" of the business owner must ask you to leave. If you do there is no charge, if you do not and police arrive you may/will be charged with criminal trespass. A bit stiffer penalty than trespass. However they must allow you to leave first. So posted doesn't much matter unless you decide to stay and argue with the "representative".

Have a safe trip. I assume you know the "off limits" list for VA that will get you in trouble yes?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    In VA if you are discovered a "representative" of the business owner must ask you to leave. If you do there is no charge, if you do not and police arrive you may/will be charged with criminal trespass. A bit stiffer penalty than trespass. However they must allow you to leave first. So posted doesn't much matter unless you decide to stay and argue with the "representative".

Have a safe trip. I assume you know the "off limits" list for VA that will get you in trouble yes?
    Scott's got it. Bottom line, keep it concealed and don't draw attention to yourself.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I assume you know the "off limits" list for VA that will get you in trouble yes?
    Yeah, that I've been able to find. For the most part, the places are pretty much the same as here. There's even the same stupid no carrying at a restaurant where alcohol is served and consumed.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Scott's got it. Bottom line, keep it concealed and don't draw attention to yourself.
    I plan on only bringing the P3AT. Not much of a chance of accidentally flashing that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Yeah, that I've been able to find. For the most part, the places are pretty much the same as here. There's even the same stupid no carrying at a restaurant where alcohol is served and consumed.

Thanks for the info.
    The one difference may be that in VA you can "open" carry in a restaurant or bar. I don't believe that is the case in NC. Although depending on how you carry your P3AT I'm not sure open carry is an option for you. Also while there is no statute for intoxication level for carry in a bar etc. I would not have any adult beverages while carrying.

Have a safe trip.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 to Scott.....ignore "no weapons/guns" signs (except where specifically prohibited by law)...leave when asked...Open carry only when in a place that serves alcohol (yes--you may CC in Wal-mart that sells alcohol)

Depending where you go..open carry is accepted. If you run into problems, post here or contact VCDL (www.vcdl.org) directly.

Trespass in VA

Sorry to disagree as my first post on this forum but I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

If the property is posted No Guns/No Concealed Carry etc., the owner does NOT have to ask you to leave before calling the cops. You are guilty of a trespass when you ignore the sign.

If the premises are not posted, and you are asked to leave (for any reason, whether or not related to the gun) you must leave or be guilty of trespass.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

keep it concealed and don't draw attention to yourself

A few places in Virginia that do not honor your right to self protection
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

also, you cannot carry "concealed" in restaurants. However, there is no law against open carry. I don't know if that applies to you but you might want to check Packing.org for more info.

What most people I've read of do when entering a bar or otherwise state-restricted establishment with an ABC license, is simply lift their shirt and expose their sidearm while partaking, and then simply cover it back up with their shirt or jacket upon leaving the premises.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    sorry twigs, in VA the sign carries no weight...the business must ask you to leave...kinda like a warning, then you are subject to a trespass fine of $100
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    What most people I've read of do when entering a bar or otherwise state-restricted establishment with an ABC license, is simply lift their shirt and expose their sidearm while partaking, and then simply cover it back up with their shirt or jacket upon leaving the premises.
    Remember though, that you should not be partaking of alcoholic beverages while carrying. That is illegal, and down right foolish to boot.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Remember though, that you should not be partaking of alcoholic beverages while carrying. That is illegal, and down right foolish to boot.
    Illegal? No. Not unless you're over the limit.

Foolish? Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links