Defensive Carry banner

Need help on a paper. . .

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  elrey718 
#1 ·
This is my wife's last paper for her critical thinking class. The teacher gave the students the option to write whatever they want. So for her last paper of college she wants to write about Carrying Concealed. So we need help. She needs to find info about it. She would like to find out stuff like how many people carry, the crime rate with ccw and without ccw, what good does ccw do for the US. We are looking for general stuff for the US. It is a 3 page paper so nothing to crazy. If you guys can send some links that would be great.

Maybe this will help the wife to buy her first gun. :yup:

Thank you for the help.

#3 ·
If she's not to far along to change topic, and excellent choice would be the debate where the antis say the 2nd Amendment applies to militias only.

Probably the best article I saw on that topic, and one that could easily provide the material to support a 3-page paper was in one concise magazine article. I gave the magazine away, but it was in an issue of Concealed Carry, likely back in 2004. If you'd like to ask for a complimentary copy of that specific article, give them a shout at http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/main.cfm

This could also be a great source of info for what you are already planning, so maybe they would help without forcing you to pay up for a membership.

That, or get a copy of John Lott's books and you could skim out enough of the pertinent info to support the paper.

Good luck.

#6 · (Edited)
Have her go to the library (or here I have access to electronic data bases and the card catalog from home via the internet) and search these 3 men in both card catalog for books or the electronic data bases for journal articles

John Lott
Gary Kleck
(forgot first name) Mustard

Also check the top of the second column
http://www.guncite.com/

Go here and enter Gary Kleck in the author block
http://www.ncjrs.gov/abstractdb/Search.asp

That should be enough for a 3 page paper.

I just did one for a class in persuasion. Had to analyze a persuasive campaign. I looked at the 1999 voter referendum for concealed carry here in Missouri. That sucker ended up going 19 double spaced pages (not counting works cited) and 5,738 words.

Out of 100 points possible; I only got 100:banana: :banana: :banana:

#8 ·
She would like to find out stuff like how many people carry, the crime rate with ccw and without ccw, what good does ccw do for the US.
Good luck. I believe the "powers" don't generally tally all of this, and the folks that have done studies (Gary Kleck, others) are forced to work with very little. The rest will be hypothesizing about the realistic, practical benefits. But without justification and data to back it up, it will merely be opinion. There are folks (like Kleck) that make a minor career about writing in this arena, and yet even the best examples still don't have all the answers.

#10 ·
I suggest a different approach to the topic

She would like to find out stuff like how many people carry, the crime rate with ccw and without ccw, what good does ccw do for the US. We are looking for general stuff for the US.
It is common for people to attempt to justify CCW on the basis of lowering overall crime rates, on a local, state or national level. I believe this approach is a mistake and should be avoided. I would suggest that your wife take a different approach to the topic she has chosen.

The reason a person chooses to CCW is for his own personal defense and to make himself (and his family) safer from crime. It has nothing to do with making society in general safer. Whether a person's carry of a gun lowers the national crime rate is of no importance. His main concern is whether it makes him safer from crime, in the little circle extending about 25 feet around him.

If we engage in trying to justify CCW because it lowers crime rates, what do we do if it does not lower crime rates? Is CCW then prohibited because of no effect on crime rates? We should not go down that road.

The justification for keeping and bearing a gun is the Second Amendment and one's God given right as a human to defend himself from attack. The government does not own his life - the individual owns his life and bears the responsibility to defend it.

#11 ·
I probably sound like a broken record with these cases, but here is a huge part of my motivation to CCW

Warren v. District of Columbia (see my sig)
Hartzler v. City of San Jose (protection order still no guarantee)

#12 ·
thank you for all of your info, it was a great help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.