NEW YORK STATE SHOOTERS: Heads Up !!!! :

This is a discussion on NEW YORK STATE SHOOTERS: Heads Up !!!! : within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not against all the new gun laws in NY State, especially those that increase depth of background checks, fine with me. Then you ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: NEW YORK STATE SHOOTERS: Heads Up !!!! :

I am not against all the new gun laws in NY State, especially those that increase depth of background checks, fine with me. Then you KNOW who the law-abiding and sane citizens are and the minority who may well not be one or the other or both. BUT: the lowering of ammo in mags to what I thought was a max of 7 plus one in the chamber is just STUPID. BUT MORE SO THAN I THOUGHT:

After my range owner told me this I just checked it with a Police Officer: it's not that you're allowed 7 in the mag + 1 in the chamber:

YOU ARE ALLOWED NO MORE THAN 7 ROUNDS IN THE GUN. Period.

However you want to, 7 in the mag and the gun unchambered (which I would NOT recommend for CCW) or 6 in the mag and 1 chambered, That is IT.

Now I'm used to shooting revolvers with 6 so it doesn't bother me THAT much - except it's a useless regulation. If they make sense I may favor some after doing research. But not THIS.

Nevertheless, that apparently is the "Law of the Land" so I thought I'd let you all from NY State know if you didn't.

I'll check at my County's Permit Office and post if the cop was wrong but he seemed quite sure of it (and let me know he too thought it was senseless).

Also, if this freaks you out you can practice changing mags quickly. I'm doing that with my FN Five-SeveN not because I think it's necessary but because I've already tried it and it SO EASY to switch mags on that gun, why not? The rounds and speed I trust well: at 2000'-per-second and with most ammo-types tumbling and yawing after they hit, and the Leo-Military type which I have also shattering after it's in the "target" a distance, as two Irag-Combat Vets said to me: "NO ONE is walking away after they get hit with a couple of those". But since it's that easy to change mags I'll practice some more and carry an extra for that one gun. I also Carry another semi-auto and that I'll leave at 7 total + a Colt Detective snub from the early 60s I also CCW in rotation at times: a Greaaaat gun! 6 Buffalo Bore .38 Specials are plenty. (The stats are 2 or 3 shots on average for Self-Defense shooting incidents between both parties. Bang! Bang! Then one is running away or down. I've never heard of one that went much beyond that although there may have been.)

Anyway, check yourselves and post if the LEO I talked to had it wrong. But in the meantime, like it or not, I'd advise following the Law as I heard it from an Authority: seven rounds TOTAL in your handgun.
    Last edited by detective; November 27th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    gatorbait51 and Warhawk71 like this.

Those background checks sound like a GREAT idea, now how do we get the criminals to get them done?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Until all criminals submit to background checks while buying out of the trunk of a car on a street corner I am adamantly against them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Unless there's some I'm unaware of, I'm against just about every one of the gun laws in NY State.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

thats news to me, ive been loading 7 + 1
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    After my range owner told me this I just checked it with a Police Officer: it's not that you're allowed 7 in the mag + 1 in the chamber

Anyway, check yourselves and post if the LEO I talked to had it wrong

YOU could always check for yourself. It's best to always refer to the law itself, as codified in statute, rather than simply relying on word-of-mouth of dubious origin. You may or may not find that both the range owner and LEO have no idea what they're talking about.

Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 27th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

The background checks are as useless as the 7 rd mag limit. Im quite sure that all the bangers and criminals in NY will now submit to the new background checks and altered their mags the night that stupidity was passed also.

More likley they had a huge party to celebrate the newly created target rich enviornment of defensless victims.

Keep not being against BCs and other useless infringements in NY. Soon they will have you down to one bullet in your shirt pocket. Plus if you ever had a scary dream no gun for you
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    From the SAFE act website:
    A: While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations.
    There is nothing about carrying only 7 rounds total--we have always been allowed the one in the chamber.
    That includes N.Y.C. long guns rules, which limit us to 5 in the tube--no matter the action.
    Which is why a so call six shot Mossberg 500 is legal in NYC--since it is 5 plus one.
    I would love for your police friend--BTW, cops are hardly the ultimate source in law interpertations--to arrest me for having 7 plus one--I could really use the (lawsuit) money.

You had me until you mentioned something about *carrying* a five seven with only seven rounds.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    A: While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations.
    There is nothing about carrying only 7 rounds total--we have always been allowed the one in the chamber.
    That includes N.Y.C. long guns rules, which limit us to 5 in the tube--no matter the action.
    Which is why a so call six shot Mossberg 500 is legal in NYC--since it is 5 plus one.
    I would love for your police friend--BTW, cops are hardly the ultimate source in law interpertations--to arrest me for having 7 plus one--I could really use the (lawsuit) money.
    Your location says NYC, so who knows, maybe you'll get your wish.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Moderator
    That's the problem with gun laws. They never cease.

That's the problem with background checks. They never quit. What's good enough for today, wont be good enough for meddling legislators two years from now. The next time some whacko goes on a shooting spree, the restrictions will only get tighter.

I am not against all the new gun laws in NY State, especially those that increase depth of background checks, fine with me
    Be careful what you wish for.
    In not recognizing the real issues with the background checks and the ever increasing infringements on your rights, you are as much a part of the problem as those that seek to limit your rights.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Heads up - time to move.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

YOU could always check for yourself. It's best to always refer to the law itself, as codified in statute, rather than simply relying on word-of-mouth of dubious origin. You may or may not find that both the range owner and LEO have no idea what they're talking about.

Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons
    You're pretty quick for a Texan. B-4 you throw me under a deuce and a half I got kin from Texas. I may be just a Yankee dumbazz but Brother I got kin from WWII what served that make me PROUD I am affiliated with Texan's. Damn it all to Hell.
    Talk to Sister. I think she could tell you my thoughts on this. She does right well by me.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 27th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I think New York seems to be heading in the direction of the Barney Fife approach...... you get one bullet, use it wisely.

Firearm registration is good for only one thing, confiscating guns. Only the law-abiding citizens would follow the law anyway.
    Ghost1958, WHEC724, niks and 4 others like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Those From NY State Please Read:

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Yes, I know it says that but that may not be the only statute referring to rounds in a gun. Listen, do what you like. Until I find an authority that has a definitive word I'm Carrying 7 in the gun. Why? I'd rather find I'm wrong that way and when and if that occurs add one round, than the other way.

I posted relevant info + a suggestion others investigate themselves + stated one of my own further investigations. But, if the LEO IS right, then some may avoid the penalties involved by knowing NOW some Authorities consider 7 rounds the gun-limit and these others can if they wish choose also to play it safe until and if they find otherwise. For me those authorities were: the owner of my range and NRA-rated Instructor for Advanced Classes in certain areas who, in both positions, knows much about Gun Law since he gives a heads-up to those who are engaging in any illegal activity at his range and has to go into the Law in his teaching at times. And an Officer of the Law who has the same stated word about round numbers.

That was the purpose of the post, new and possibly correct info communicated so others at least knew it could well be accurate what was said to me.

Now that's that clear to anyone who reads the Original Post and this one, that those in NY State can choose what they wish until and if a more definitive word is found, farewell and have a most happy Thanksgiving!

The Same and Best to All!
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links