CA Gun laws

CA Gun laws

This is a discussion on CA Gun laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me see if I've got this right. I have a WA CHL but it is not recognized in CA In fact, no other state's ...

Thread: CA Gun laws

Post CA Gun laws

Let me see if I've got this right.

I have a WA CHL but it is not recognized in CA
    In fact, no other state's CHL is recognized by CA
    I must be a resident of CA to get a CHL there
    I am not a CA resident

Therefore, there is no way I can carry in CA.

Right?

-terry

Sounds about right and that's why I left. I was born and raised in California and after 42 years of their BS, I got out and haven't gone back.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

BINGO ! me too i moved away too because of it .

You are correct. California does not honor a CCW from any other state.
    For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You pretty much have to be a California resident, or have been in LE to carry in California. Doesn't that make you feel safer while visiting it?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

bae
    I left CA 7 years ago, and still haven't managed to wipe the grin off my face.

Move back to America :-)

Quote Originally Posted by -terry View Post
    I am not a CA resident ... Therefore, there is no way I can carry in CA.
    Basically, yes.

Though, IIRC, California still does have one grain of rationality left: that you may have a firearm present in the place where you're living (ie, hotel room for the night, house you're staying at, car/van you're sleeping in that night, in your tent while camping). I don't believe you must be a resident to have a gun in your possession while defending yourself in your own living quarters, even if those quarters are temporary. That doesn't help you outside those living quarters, but inside should be fine.

So long as it is not a concealed weapon, I believe there is some leeway, there. As there is no open-carry law there, that primarily limits you to your living quarters, being a non-resident.

Also, if you're going to bring a firearm in, first check with the long, long list of banned firearms from the CA Attorney General's web site. Most handguns aren't touched, but there are some caveats.

Check the laws and possibly with an attorney, as California weapons violations are taken extremely seriously by California law enforcement.

Note: This is not intended to be legal advice. If you want that, check with a qualified attorney.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Agree, with some minor differences..

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Though, IIRC, California still does have one grain of rationality left: that you may have a firearm present in the place where you're living (ie, hotel room for the night, house you're staying at, car/van you're sleeping in that night, in your tent while camping).

So long as it is not a concealed weapon, I believe there is some leeway, there. As there is no open-carry law there, that primarily limits you to your living quarters, being a non-resident.

Also, if you're going to bring a firearm in, first check with the long, long list of banned firearms from the CA Attorney General's web site. Most handguns aren't touched, but there are some caveats.
    I basically agree with ccw9mm's post above, with a couple of minor differences:

1. The gun you keep (loaded) in your place of residence (house, hotel room, campsite) can be carried concealed or open in that place, and it doesn't have to be nighttime - it can be any time of day as long as it is your place of residence.

2. You can carry concealed or open at your place of business in CA, or on any private property with the owner's permission (friend's house, shooting range, etc.)

3. The CA "approved handgun list" applies to what a CA firearms dealer can sell in CA, and does not apply to what an individual can own or bring into the state for his own use. Handguns sold from one individual to another in a "private party transfer" do not have to be on the approved list. Also people moving into CA from elsewhere do not have to have all their handguns on the list.

4. You can't import "high capacity magazines" (over 10 rounds) into CA. But CA people who owned such magazines prior to 1/1/2000 can keep them and use them, so possession is not necessarily illegal.

Links