whats a 5.11 vest?

whats a 5.11 vest?

This is a discussion on whats a 5.11 vest? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Didn't want to threadjack someone with a newbie post, but what exactly is a 5.11 vest? I hear it referred to over and over but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: whats a 5.11 vest?

whats a 5.11 vest?

Didn't want to threadjack someone with a newbie post, but what exactly is a 5.11 vest? I hear it referred to over and over but have yet to see one. Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    http://www.policefirerescue.com/511_vest.html

Check the link. It is a concealment vest. Do a Google search you will find lots of different brands.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Didn't want to threadjack someone with a newbie post, but what exactly is a 5.11 vest? I hear it referred to over and over but have yet to see one. Thanks.
    Try this: www.chiefsupply.com/511tactical.html. It has little pockets and pouches and is long enough to be useful in concealing a pistol. Also search this forum and others for opinions on the utilty of the product.

I have to say that in four days in New York City, I was incredibly impressed with the versatility and durability of my 5.11 Tactical Vest. On previous trips I've worn a pretty good tactical vest I got from a supplier in Pakistan, shown here in the Museum of Science in Boston:

When I bought some pairs of 5.11 pants, however, I also bought a 5.11 tactical vest. When I travel I like to keep my hands free and have as many pockets as possible for carrying maps, souvenirs, gear, and what have you, so it seemed like a natural thing to bring to New York City.

With the vest on, I had limitless pockets; my wife was amazed at the number of things I was able to squirrel away to remain hands-free for the duration. I carried maps and pamphlets in the inside left pocket, various tour books in other pockets, an umbrella and folding boonie hat in the rear pouches, the playbill for the Broadway show we watched in the inner gun pocket, flashlights and eyedrops and batteries and keys and other odds and ends in the various outer pouches... and still I had more pockets left over. I bought a padded camera case for my digital camera, which rode under my vest in front of my strong-side hip where I could protect it. My wallet I kept in the front zipper pocket of the vest, with the zipper drawn.

The vest looks pretty casual and, with my matching pants, seemed fairly nondescript, at least to me. Nobody gave me that, "I think you're packing heat" stare that you sometimes get when you're wearing a photog vest or some other sort of firearm concealing garment. (I was in NYC anyway, so I couldn't have carried a gun legally as it was.)

I passed through many security checkpoints with metal detectors (such as at the United Nations, outside of which this "stop the violence" sculpture sits)...

...But I had no difficulties with the various zippers and D-rings on the vest. I didn't even notice the small umbrella I kept in the rear pocket on the less sunny days.

If you're looking for a good all-purpose travel and survival vest, I can highly recommend this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    Irony at it's finest. BTW, was that one of the flyers from the Phantom Menace you were infront of?

I've got a 5.11 vest. It's handy. Many pockets you can stick stuff in. It get's a little hot during the summer months. It's a heavy material, 100% cotton, too. Plus, it's one of the very few things both my mother and girlfriend agree that I look good in. Gotta dress to impress the ladies.
    hieu nguyen likes this.

Administrator
    Good write up Phil, but I just can't bring myself to wear one...

This is a very interesting find. I might have to purchase one of these as a birthday present to myself... :)
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Anyone got a link to one that would look good on a 21 year old at 6 foot tall weighing lil more than 150 lbs?

Administrator

Phil said:
    With the vest on, I had limitless pockets; my wife was amazed at the number of things I was able to squirrel away to remain hands-free for the duration. I carried maps and pamphlets in the inside left pocket, various tour books in other pockets, an umbrella and folding boonie hat in the rear pouches, the playbill for the Broadway show we watched in the inner gun pocket, flashlights and eyedrops and batteries and keys and other odds and ends in the various outer pouches... and still I had more pockets left over. I bought a padded camera case for my digital camera, which rode under my vest in front of my strong-side hip where I could protect it. My wallet I kept in the front zipper pocket of the vest, with the zipper drawn.
    Now the muggers say, "Stick 'em up, and gimme your vest"

I don't know what the 5.11 vest costs, but for $49.95 I bought the Cabela's Safari Vest and love it...this link will take you right to it:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0

*Goes all kid in candy store on that site*

Don't Stop With the Vest...

I do have the 5.11 vest, and I do wear it, but not frequently...

But you might as well get the 5.11 Academy Shorts...I have 8 pair that I rotate around...they are my 'main wear' when it's warm (I live in Florida...),

While you're at it, get the instructor's belt...best money you'll ever spend for a 'great' gun belt...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    But you might as well get the 5.11 Academy Shorts...I have 8 pair that I rotate around...they are my 'main wear' when it's warm (I live in Florida...)
    I hear ya! I love the Academy shorts. I rotate through several pair myself. The front pockets seem tailor-made for my J-frame and nemesis pocket holster.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Irony at it's finest. BTW, was that one of the flyers from the Phantom Menace you were infront of?
    Sure was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links