Would you carry at work if against policy? - Page 2

Would you carry at work if against policy?

This is a discussion on Would you carry at work if against policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smooth23 I'm wondering how many of you would carry at work, if it was totally against company policy-and heres the kicker- if ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you would carry at work, if it was totally against company policy-and heres the kicker- if you thought the most likely place of you getting attacked was in the workplace.?
    I've witnessed a number of threads like this in several forums. One thing to remember is that those who give you strong encouragement to "carry no matter what the policy" and "concealed means concealed", etc. won't lose their jobs if you get caught.

It's your decision, so listen to yourself and consider your needs and the consequences to you when you make it.

No, I would not. Don't get me wrong, I am in favor of carrying at work (especially after reading this: (http://keyetv.com/national/topstorie...42170519.html).

However, the fact remains that I am FAR FAR FAR more likely to die on the way to work in my car than at work due to a BG. As such, if I need and want the job and they have a definite policy against it, I would not carry.

I have to.
    But if and when I work a 2nd job, Amen sixto.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

My company has no policy about firearms. Again, don't ask, don't tell. However in south Florida concealing is not easy with light clothing and a lot of sweat. I carry a Taurus M-85 in a Mika pocket holster or a Kimber compact SS II .45 in one of several IWB tuckable holsters.
    My employees include at least 4 convicted (served the time) dopers, several outrageous drunks and at least 3 others on parole or work release for assorted crimes of lesser violence. (like domestic)
    For me to go to work unarmed is unthinkable and in my estimation it is irrational.
    If my boss discovers my carrying, and objects, well, I was unemployed when I came there, I'll be unemployed when I leave.
    God Bless Florida Gun Laws!!!!

Roger

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I've witnessed a number of threads like this in several forums. One thing to remember is that those who give you strong encouragement to "carry no matter what the policy" and "concealed means concealed", etc. won't lose their jobs if you get caught.

It's your decision, so listen to yourself and consider your needs and the consequences to you when you make it.
    +1 on Jimmy and Wayne. Excellent posts.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Retired in 1999...

and carried 24/7 for 4 years...Now, only when not at work!

I took a position at a local high school last year. So last year, this year, and maybe...one more???????...I cannot carry at work or even have a weapon in my car...AND...they do 'searchs' w/dogs every once in a while...

Mmmmm, "Retired School Superintendent Working In Classroom Busted With Gun...Students Horrified By Swat Team Arrest...And Parents Applaud..."

Kind of a long headline, but you get the idea!

I would lose my teaching/admin certificate, my CCW permit, I WOULD be arrested, I would need an expensive lawyer, my neighbors would see my picture in the paper, I would be on CBS news...(the list goes on...)

OMO...but not worth the risk...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    and carried 24/7 for 4 years...Now, only when not at work!

I took a position at a local high school last year. So last year, this year, and maybe...one more???????...I cannot carry at work or even have a weapon in my car...AND...they do 'searchs' w/dogs every once in a while...

Mmmmm, "Retired School Superintendent Working In Classroom Busted With Gun...Students Horrified By Swat Team Arrest...And Parents Applaud..."

Kind of a long headline, but you get the idea!

I would lose my teaching/admin certificate, my CCW permit, I WOULD be arrested, I would need an expensive lawyer, my neighbors would see my picture in the paper, I would be on CBS news...(the list goes on...)

OMO...but not worth the risk...

ret
    You are right, there places and jobs out there where you just can't carry. Carrying would be an illegal act, leadership wrong, role model wrong, make you a fellon, etc.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'd rather be alive to apply to other jobs than not! The only way anyone will ever find out is if a) you are forced to draw/shoot or b) if you are stupid enough to tell even ONE person! Rumors will fly and before you know it, your desk/vehicle/briefcase is being searched. Stay prepared, stay alive!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I know the company I'm working at has a no-weapons policy, but I'm kind of scared to ask whether to applies to licensed carriers (not that I'm one...yet...) since they'd probably be very curious as to why I want to know.

I can imagine they would say it doesn't, reguardless.

Also, I think the legal code in Alabama actually specifies that it's only illegal to carry in a public school if you're not LE or licensed (so I guess that technically means a licensed teacher could carry? Better getting fired than letting another Columbine happen).

But then again, a lot of Alabama laws don't seem to actually apply...at all (like an 18 year-old handgun purchase law...although that's what the law says).

Our boss encourages it. Three of the seven of us carry at work. One of them being the owner. We are a family owned and operated business and I am fortunate for that. I must say though any where that it is prohibited to carry, I wont.

Its against policy to carry,but its against my policy not to. I was looking for a job when i found this one.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I carry everywhere, that about sums it up.

+1 to bullseye!!

As far as I know, my company has no formal policy about the carrying of weapons. But I don't think I'm about to ask either. I'm a manager at a construction company and the only female to boot. My office is in a very secluded area and we often have rather "suspect" types show up to apply for jobs, more than one of whom I've seen show up on the security cameras after hours, which happens to be the time I do my paperwork.

Even if my company did institute a "no weapons" policy, I would continue to carry. Either that, or find a new job. My life comes before my livelihood.

I would like to, however, my job has a firearms on co property will get you fired on the spot, and I have seen them do it. Now I also know that each person to get fired, got so because they got to running their mouth. I have never seen the co search an employes car, person or locker without hard evidence that they had something they wern't suposed to. And not just another employes "he said she said" kind of stuff. It has always come from a manager overhearing or seeing something obvious like theft or overhearing talk of guns on the grounds. As far as in the building...its fenced in with guards on campus. All of the door are magneticaly locked with card readers at all entrances.

So hypotheticaly...if you wanted to cary at my place of employement, you can't, but if you can keep your big trap shut , and no one knows, then you prabably could.

yes i would and they would not know that i had it on me. sometimes smaller is better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links