Would you carry at work if against policy?

This is a discussion on Would you carry at work if against policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tanksoldier I'd make sure not to ask what the policy is... That's fine so long as they don't do what some companies ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Would you carry at work if against policy?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I'd make sure not to ask what the policy is...
    That's fine so long as they don't do what some companies do...Make you read the policy book and then sign a statement saying that you read the policy book and are familiar with its contents and that your continued employment is dependent on following those policies.

Whenever my company updates the policy book when you log into the network you have to read the policy and click that you have read and understand the policy or you don't get on the network. Since everyone at my company must use the network that works for us. Before HR would hold a meeting, read you the policy and you would sign a statement. Remote people would do this over the phone. So my company has this pretty well covered.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

I work for several school district's and that would almost be impossible for me to do so. Unless the law changes, I will be not carrying at work. Steve 48

I work at a school so it is impossible for me to carry at work. Steve 48

CCW at work

I did for many years. Just remember - concealed means CONCEALED!

I work in a state correctional facility so I never carry inside the facility and never use a personal weapon on duty.
    That being said I always carry two and from work. Too many ex offenders on the street who hate you because of the uniform.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    In Colorado the owner of private property does have the right to prohibit firearms, including business establishments.

However, if you're caught all they can ask you to do is leave. If you refuse to leave, THEN you can be charged with tresspassing.

Even places where it is illegal to carry, you have to knowingly violate the law... you have to have "intent". If you didn't know or didn't see the sign, you can't have "intent" to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Colorado is one of those. Get caught carrying at such a place and you will be charged with trespassing, depending on the circumstances it could be felony trespassing.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

No matter what anyone does, it is good policy to have 3 - 6 months of EXPENSES (not salary) saved in a bank account in the event of an unplanned job loss. I would say get 6 months of salary in a separate savings account to handle any unforeseen changes in employment status.

As long as you are not breaking the law, prepare for all the possible consequences and do as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    In Colorado the owner of private property does have the right to prohibit firearms, including business establishments.
    However, if you're caught all they can ask you to do is leave. If you refuse to leave, THEN you can be charged with tresspassing.
    Are you willing to bet your freedom on that? I've spoken to an attorney about this exact question. What he told me is...

1. The wording of the law is vague enough that if a business owner called the police the police could choose to arrest you on the spot.

2. The wording of the law is vague enough that if the police arrest you, an over-zealous prosecutor MIGHT decide to charge you with felony trespassing just for ignoring the sign.

3. There has been no test case yet, and so it is entirely a matter of speculation about what a judge and jury would be likely to do if a prosecutor DID choose to charge someone with felony trespassing in a case like this.

So, you may BELIEVE that you are safe to ignore the "no guns" signs and that all that can happen to you is that you'll be asked to leave, but the truth is that you are taking a fairly substantial risk. Maybe you are right, and all that will happen is that you will be asked to leave. Or maybe someone will decide to make you the test case and you will end up with a felony conviction on your record.

Is it really worth the risk? Maybe it is to you. I know that for me it is not.
    Last edited by denverd0n; December 18th, 2006 at 04:49 PM.

if you want to carry at work, Don't tell anyone you are, not even your closest friend... then you shouldn't have any problems...

Life is all about making decisions and then living with them.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting topic...Thankfully, that's not a problem for me; however, I'ld probably carry. The key for me is, "if you thought the most likely place of you getting attacked was in the workplace."

I can't imagine working someplace, except LE, where you risk getting attacked. This is as long as the risk of me carrying isn't risking other people. As an example, I wouldn't carry if I was working around inmates, in whatever capacity. While in a past special assignment, I had to deal with school faculty as well as students. Carrying on campus came up a few times. I don't blame them, but I didn't allow it if I knew about it. Of course, I didn't go asking around either.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

You know, if you carry at work when there is a policy against it, then you obviously have reasoned out that your life is worth more than the policy, as many have already mentioned. The key, if discovered, is to not whine about how unjust the workplace is just because you got fired or disciplined for knowingly breaking the rules.

I have read too many posts on forums where people cry and moan about the horrors of getting fired from a job because they screwed up and got discovered...and in most cases, it was due to acts of stupidity, not acts of self defense, like guns falling out of ankle holsters, shirts riding up to reveal a gun carried SOB, etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links