Would you carry at work if against policy?

This is a discussion on Would you carry at work if against policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering how many of you would carry at work, if it was totally against company policy-and heres the kicker- if you thought the most ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry at work if against policy?

Would you carry at work if against policy?

I'm wondering how many of you would carry at work, if it was totally against company policy-and heres the kicker- if you thought the most likely place of you getting attacked was in the workplace.?

2. Remove Ads

It would depend on the job, the threat level, and so forth. Someone else here was asking about this a while back in another thread. The comment that caught my eye, right up front, was that he absolutely, positively could NOT afford to lose the job. Well, in that case you have to follow their rules. If you think there's a serious threat, though, you have to ask yourself if the possibility of losing your life is worth the possibility of losing the job.

Safety first.

I'd hate to be killed because I was following a stupid policy.
    Self-reliance, sacrifice and service . . .
    or
    Shoot, shovel and shut-up.

Two words. "I do". Doesn't just apply to marriage.

Senior Moderator
    I plead the 5th. Since I am at work now, No I do not carry at work I must say with my Smartcarry you can't tell that I am carrying.

My employer does not have a policy one way or the other. I do not plan to bring it up in conversation... don't ask don't tell, if you will. If there was ever a policy put in place, now that I have decided to carry, I will carry every time I am out (Once I go before the board... right now I can only carry every time I am in ).
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

It depends. You have to ask yourself is it (or any rule) is worth bending or worth breaking.

Administrator
    Thats why the supreme being gave us Kel-Tec.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    We are allowed to carry at work no I'm not an LEO.

I don't see how I could work for a company that dosn't allow it.

I even carried this to work one day.

I would. My life is more important than a paycheck.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

This really is an open ended question.

Not many will say "yes" if they think that their employer may find out and many will say "no" just because it's the policy (even if they do).

The real answer to this question is, what does each individual think best for themselves and their family, and then go with what they believe is best.

Money, employment, family (not in that order) are very important. Yet I myself can't help but to think that if I am dead, how is that going to help them (family)? How am I going to work for money to help my family? How am I going to be around to protect my family?

Jobs come and go. It's a pain in the butt to try to find employment granted, but just to be able to do so is in itself a blessing. If one is dead then they can't look for employment now can they.

Also, one must put in the risk factor. Is there a risk that you may be assaulted or murdered at work?

Here are my thoughts on deciding risk factors:

In 2001 (IIRC) I was biten by a stray cat. I live in Oregon. In Oregon the main vectors for Rabies are bats, and those animals (mainly foxes and cats) that feed on bats.

The odds that I would get rabies from that cat were 1 in 1 million (as the doc put it).

Now, rabies, if gotten, is a death sentence, so this was a true case of life and death (same with someone coming after you or your work place in general). Yes, the odds were in my favor of not getting Rabies, but there was that small % that I had to deal with.

I ended up paying over $2,000 for Rabie shots. That money could have been used for other things but I used it to ensure that my life was protected. It was worth the money and the inconvinence to protect my life even though the percentage of death was low, it was still there.

I figure that I can make up the money (save), that my taking time off work to go get the shots was worth it, even if they fired me for doing so, that my life was important enough to me to use every tool (in this case medication) available to me, no matter the cost, to ensure that I would be around to help my family.

Wayne

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    This really is an open ended question.

Not many will say "yes" if they think that their employer may find out and many will say "no" just because it's the policy (even if they do).

The real answer to this question is, what does each individual think best for themselves and their family, and then go with what they believe is best.

Money, employment, family (not in that order) are very important. Yet I myself can't help but to think that if I am dead, how is that going to help them (family)? How am I going to work for money to help my family? How am I going to be around to protect my family?

Jobs come and go. It's a pain in the butt to try to find employment granted, but just to be able to do so is in itself a blessing. If one is dead then they can't look for employment now can they.

Also, one must put in the risk factor. Is there a risk that you may be assaulted or murdered at work?

Here are my thoughts on deciding risk factors:

In 2001 (IIRC) I was biten by a stray cat. I live in Oregon. In Oregon the main vectors for Rabies are bats, and those animals (mainly foxes and cats) that feed on bats.

The odds that I would get rabies from that cat were 1 in 1 million (as the doc put it).

Now, rabies, if gotten, is a death sentence, so this was a true case of life and death (same with someone coming after you or your work place in general). Yes, the odds were in my favor of not getting Rabies, but there was that small % that I had to deal with.

I ended up paying over $2,000 for Rabie shots. That money could have been used for other things but I used it to ensure that my life was protected. It was worth the money and the inconvinence to protect my life even though the percentage of death was low, it was still there.

I figure that I can make up the money (save), that my taking time off work to go get the shots was worth it, even if they fired me for doing so, that my life was important enough to me to use every tool (in this case medication) available to me, no matter the cost, to ensure that I would be around to help my family.

Wayne
    Sorry that sucks about the Rabies shots. Are they still doing them in your stomach with like 36 inch needles?

VIP Member
    When I had my own company everyone who worked for me was a permit holder and carried whenever it was possible. When we visited our clients we didn't worry about their policies because we were not bound by them and concealed means concealed. Now working for another company is another issue. My current employer has a vague policy. They specify no weapons, except when authorized. Well they don't say who does the authorizing, so since the state has authorized me, I carry whenever possible. My HR director knows that the policy is vague and we have agreed that there is really no need to change it.

Now having said that I just returned from the Netherlands, so carrying was out. I also frequently find myself on federal installations, so no carry there. Potentially breaking a company policy is one thing, but being arrested is something else entirely.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I work in a restaurant, and been thinking of weather I want to carry at work or not also. My main issue is that working as a cook in tight quarters with others will be a problem as we do bump into each other now and again and someone would notice the gun after enough time.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    In my case it is an absolute NO. I'm a full time soldier, so company policy is law. I risk not only unemployment but jail, loss of veteran's benefits, loss of future employment, and loss of CCH liscense.

I can't carry at my office since it is a federal building. I can't carry in the company car. I'm not even sure yet if I'll be able to carry at all in uniform (still waiting on a response from JAG).

As a career counselor I estimate my job to be in the top 5 in the Army where one would want to carry. It is my distinct pleasure to find soldiers, most of them who have completed a tour of active duty but still have time remaining where they can be called again, and convince them to join reserve units.
    Sometimes Johnny isn't happy to see me. Sometimes Mom and Dad are a little upset with the Army for stealing Johnny away like gypsies in the night. And some of the small towns give me some real dirty looks since I'm not wearing coveralls and driving a pickup truck.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links