What to do about anti-CCW friend

This is a discussion on What to do about anti-CCW friend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a buddy of mine who is against me carrying around him. He knows I carry at all waking hours of the day. He ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I have a buddy of mine who is against me carrying around him. He knows I carry at all waking hours of the day. He tries to tell me to leave my guns at home, because he thinks the guns will go off by themselves in his car, and possibly blow a hole through the floorboard of his car. I tried to tell him that guns simply don't go off by themselves (especially 1911s), but for some reason he won't have anything to do with me carrying. It's either I leave my guns at home, or we don't hang out. Now I refuse to leave my carry gun at home, rendering myself defenseless in the event of a violent confrontation. I tried to invite him to go to the range, but he just tells me he's too busy, or has other plans. I even showed him all the safety features of my carry gun, but he still thinks that I'll get myself in trouble (even after I showed him Alaska's laws on CCW), or possibly have the gun go off. None of my other friends carry, only me. I feel like the lone ranger here. The one that is against me carrying at all, is really bugging me. He tries to tell me that nothing bad can happen, and nothing has happened to him in the 35 years he's been alive. I told him he's just been lucky for 35 years, but he just refuses to face reality.

Here in Okla. a person just needs to watch the evening news and he will carry.

With a friend like that , Who needs enemys? Dump him.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Pretty 'Cut 'n Dry'...

...find a new buddy!

Not liking guns is a right...that's fine...but to refuse to let you carry in his car...?
    He sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen...with his attitude he'll get his chance.

I have had good friends who did not like guns (even a sister...extremely afraid of guns...). This does not affect my 24/7 carry. Most don't even know I carry (my sister does...knows I respect her feelings, but I still always carry...even in HER home...it is not discussed and not open to discussion!).

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It seems to me that you have done the responsible stuff, explained, offered to take him to the range, etc. Now, dump him.

Cut him loose and then wait until he is the victim of some crime. Then, go visit him in the hospital and see if he is ready to start taking resposibility for his own safety.

Seriously, who needs a friend who is the enemy of your freedom?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    These folks exist - that's for sure but - in my experience there is no changing their outlook - none at all.

One long time leather working buddy in UK - who even made me some nice holsters - can only comment about my CCW - ''you are asking for trouble'' He just does not get it.

Sure a guy may have been unscathed for 35 years - same as he may not have had a flat for 35 years - but will he not have his spare just because of that? Chances are out of all of us here - maybe only one of us in the next year might have to draw - and even then not shoot. But it's like any insurance - it's better to have and not need ..........
    because he thinks the guns will go off by themselves in his car
    When someone is as logic-deprived as that - you might as well save your energies as try to explain and win!
    We just happen to be a group of folks who take personal responsibility for our own and family's welfare more seriously.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I lived ten years in Los Anchorage. Carrying a gun is a good idea. Even if you’re not in Anchorage you have the right and the duty to protect yourself and your loved ones- including your friend. He needs to take off those blinders and see what really goes on in the real world.

Ignorance is bliss.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

smo
    I have to agree with kenpo, and others. Although I hate to just place a friendship in the gutter, it sounds like you have gone the extra mile to work with him and he still refuses to comprimise at all. All relationships involve some give and take. Maybe still be friends, just the kind that never hangs out...

Well, the funny thing is, he has a really dirt cheap 9mm handgun from a company called Intratec, so he's not entirely anti-gun, just anti-CCW. None of my other friends have a problem with me carrying around them. He watches the news every night, hearing reports about shootings and rape victims here in town. I guess there are other people like that, who can hear reports about violent acts of crime, and yet they're still oblivious to the actions they can take to help protect themselves and their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    The one that is against me carrying at all, is really bugging me. He tries to tell me that nothing bad can happen, and nothing has happened to him in the 35 years he's been alive. I told him he's just been lucky for 35 years, but he just refuses to face reality.
    You gave him a chance and he won't wake up. Time for new non- friend.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

So it's your safety or friendship? Depending on the length of the friendship--that truely is a hard choice--yet it is a choice that NO true friend would ask another to make.

Find a new friend...if he's that afraid of an inanimate object, then imagine what it will be like when a BG uses an inanimate object against your friend. Tell him to call you when: 1) he accepts he is responsible for his safety (not the police) or 2) after he is a victim of a crime and accepts he is responsible for his safety.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    I lived ten years in Los Anchorage. Carrying a gun is a good idea. Even if you’re not in Anchorage you have the right and the duty to protect yourself and your loved ones- including your friend. He needs to take off those blinders and see what really goes on in the real world.

Ignorance is bliss.
    I do live in Los Anchorage. It's a nice town, but it has its share of crime, as most cities do. Alaska's government just made it harder for criminals to attack law abiding Alaskans, and be successful at getting what they're after. Gang violence has been in the papers for quite awhile too. I strongly believe guns will always be a part of life in Alaska, and our newly elected female governor thankfully feels the same way.

Your "friend" is completely irrational -- and it's none of his business whether you carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links