Oops! Made a small mistake today.

This is a discussion on Oops! Made a small mistake today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has been sick with gastroenteritis for the last 8 days. I've cared for her, keeping her o clear liquids, and when tolerated, soft ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops! Made a small mistake today.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Oops! Made a small mistake today.

My wife has been sick with gastroenteritis for the last 8 days. I've cared for her, keeping her o clear liquids, and when tolerated, soft bland foods. I also have gotten her Imodium, and later Kaopectate, to help with the diarrhea every 10 minutes. But, 8 days is a long time not to get better with gastroenteritis, and time to start at least testing for salmonella, shigella, and ova and parasites. So, I had to take her to Urgent Care today. A bit of a pisser, since I'm a Physician Assistant, and normally I would get a CBC, stool culture and stool for O&P, and given the length of time without improvement , a prescription for Cipro. But, I'm out of work, and since PAs are dependant practitioners, requiring a supervising physician to practice, meaning that I temporarily can't write the orders and script without worrying about practicing illegally. So, we spent the day at Urgent Care, and after several hours, left, with a script for a CBC, and stool for C&S, O&P, and a script for Cipro. Sound familiar? Anyway, when we left, it was almost 5, and the lab offices close around 4. The doc told us that Spring Valley Hospital had a Quest office that was open 24 hours, so I drove my wife there to try to get the labs. We walked in, walked around looking for the lab, and finally found it, and saw that it was closed. On the way out, a security guard asked if we needed directions, and we said no, we found what we needed. As I turned to go out the door, there was the thing that I had missed- on the door that we had gone through when we entered, I say the reverse side of the no handguns allowed sign. Sheesh! There I was with my XD 45 on my hip, and a Glock 26 in the left inside pocket of my Sig-Tac vest Had I seen the sign, I wouldn't have entered without going back to my car to put away the guns. I don't like such things, but it was private property, and the right to do what you want with your property is a fundamental right that I respect. Hell, being in medicine for 20 years, I should have thought about it ahead of time, but we had spent so much time that it slipped my mind. Fortunately, the guns were well concealed. The Max-con V that I just received a few weeks ago does a a great job. And, the Nemesis pocket holster that I use for the G26 keeps it from printing. Had the security guard noticed, he wouldn't have been able to do anything but ask us to leave, and unless I caused a problem, or refused to leave, nothing would have happened. But, I'm someone who tends to play by the rules, and it makes me uncomfortable to realize that I didn't notice the sign. But. no big deal. And tomorrow, when I take my wife to Quest, it won't be the one at the hospital. And I'm really happy to see that the new holster does it's job well!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sure sorry to hear about your lady and hope she's better soon.

I know what you mean. Even though I know I don't have to leave my weapon in the truck, I would too in this case.

On the flip side, it was a good test to show that you were concealing properly! That is one of our 1st goals!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'll admit to noticing the back side of a "no firearms" sign as I walked out the door of a commercial establishment. I didn't get caught and they haven't gotten any of my business since. Just glad that concealed really did mean concealed for me in that instance.

Hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Here in my hometown, Mayo Clinic is posted, and if it weren't that they've kept me alive these past six years I'd quit doing business with them....

My solution has been a good paddle holster, since it seems I'm always going into the Post Office, VA Clinic, etc. That and a lockbox in the car. Postings...arrrggghhhh.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

to me...getting "caught" means you've done something illegal in the eyes of the state...protecting my family (or you protecting yours) is not illegal. Bypassing a "no revolvers" or "no 1911" sign because it is hospital "policy" doesn't hurt my feelings at all. In fact, I know I will be prepared if some psycho decides he wants to shoot up an ER and takes out hospital ninjas in the process..

related link:
    - http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/c...OOT_S1.article

If the law states you cannot carry in a hospital (or posted signs are a legal remedy)--then you broke the law and didn't get "caught"...otherwise, (where I live) signs will be ignored, weapon will be concealed, and care given.

When it comes down to it, sometimes you do what ya' gotta do. You know the holsters did their job, and you kept your cool, so there is no gripes. 100% confidence. Now, just watch out for them metal detectors...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Keep taking care of your wife. I hope she starts feeling better.

No big deal on carring at that location.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I never even look for those signs. They are very rare and carry no legal authority here in GA.

If I do happen to see one, I will, however, obey the wishes of the business and shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    I never even look for those signs. They are very rare and carry no legal authority here in GA.

If I do happen to see one, I will, however, obey the wishes of the business and shop elsewhere.
    Same here...

Take care of that wife of yours.

Ron
    There was a similar post some time ago. I had to go to a hospital in a not too safe section of West Palm Beach, Florida around 2am for my mother-in-law. We entered the emergency room entrance and after a few minutes I noticed a no firearms sign. I reluctantly went back to my car and locked my revolver in the glove compartment. Another poster then pointed out that in Florida it is a Felony to violate the no gun policy because the hospital treats psychiatric patients, and might also include the "hosptital grounds."

What is scary about this is that it is not in the statute dealing with CCW, so the average CCW holder, such as myself, notwithstanding that I am also a lawyer, would not likely be aware of the prohibition.

Ron

Administrator
    I hope that your Wife is OK and that everything turns out to be fine with her.

Concerning the handgun & the sign...it's obvious that you had other more important and pressing issues occupying your mind.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Those signs hold no weight in Nevada. The way my instructor put it was that they are for the people carrying illegaly and not CCW holders. The most that they can do is to ask you to leave and if you refuse they can have you cited for trespassing.

Hope the wife feels better

Chris

The signs hold no weight in some states. In others the signs have to follow very specific rules to be valid. In some states, though, any clearly posted sign carries the weight of law. Simply choosing to ignore these signs (assuming they are valid and carry the weight of law) is, in my personal opinion, not a very smart thing to do.

In the first place, you risk a lot by doing so. Here in Colorado, for example, you can be charged with felony trespassing for carrying onto a posted property. That means jail time, loss of your CCW, and loss of your right to ever own a firearm again (assuming you'd like to own one after you get out of prison). To me, risking that much is dumb. I would rather just take my business elsewhere.

The other thing, though, is that if you get caught you know darned well that the press and the liberals will try to use that in the war against guns and against CCW. They will put you down as another data point proving that CCW holders cannot be trusted to obey the law, and therefore should not be trusted with guns at all! In that sense you are putting us ALL at risk!

Please, when you are carrying, know the law and obey it.

(Just to be clear, I am not talking about the case where you don't see the sign until it is too late. I'm talking about the people who deliberately and knowingly choose to ignore such signs.)
    Last edited by denverd0n; December 14th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    The other thing, though, is that if you get caught you know darned well that the press and the liberals will try to use that in the war against guns and against CCW. They will put you down as another data point proving that CCW holders cannot be trusted to obey the law, and therefore should not be trusted with guns at all! In that sense you are putting us ALL at risk!

Please, when you are carrying, know the law and obey it.

(Just to be clear, I am not talking about the case where you don't see the sign until it is too late. I'm talking about the people who deliberately and knowingly choose to ignore such signs.)
    That is, IMO, the most important point in this thread. Like it or not, whenever we make the press in a negative way, we do a great disservice to the entire CCW community. We have enough enemies as it is. None of us should provide aid and comfort to them.

Ron

Senior Moderator
    I cut my hand last month and the wife had to take me to the ER to get sewed up.

I didn't think to take off my revolver and didn't pay any attention to any signs.

The Dr. sewed me up it was only when I was leaveing that I thought "hey I'm packing I wonder if that is legal here."

No one was the wiser except me and my wife, I guess I need to get a lock box to go in the car too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links