Arkansas Carry Law

Arkansas Carry Law

This is a discussion on Arkansas Carry Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please! , only Arkansas residents reply, but you may chime in you you do in fact know what's going on in Arkansas. I'm not interested ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Mikemgb
  • 1 Post By flintlock62
  • 1 Post By mallardhunter

Thread: Arkansas Carry Law

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar

Arkansas Carry Law

Please!, only Arkansas residents reply, but you may chime in you you do in fact know what's going on in Arkansas. I'm not interested in what is allowed in other states.

It is confusing to say the least. I have gone to several sites, and they have conflicting information. I am lead to believe that as of August 16, 2013, concealed carry is legal in Arkansas without a permit.

"A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    Arkansas, Alaska, not much difference.

I'm still looking for the validity of the "as of August 16, 2013" ruling in Arkansas. Is this fictional, or true information? The information was obtained from Wikipedia. I don't know what to believe, because of unclear interpretations, opinions, and updated actual truth. Why can't the government, and lawyers simply state what is allowed, and what is not? Clear English languish is not available, apparently. Do we all have to be highly educated, and have attended law school to be able to decipher legal terms, or do we have to find out in a court of law?

A quick email to your AGs office with the question should get you a solid answer and a printable one at that to show to any uneducated LEOs if OC is legal there or CC is legal without a permit.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I will do that, but our AG is extremely anti-gun. I'm not sure to get an honest answer, or run around hog wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    A quick email to your AGs office with the question should get you a solid answer and a printable one at that to show to any uneducated LEOs if OC is legal there or CC is legal without a permit.
    oldman45 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I will do that, but our AG is extremely anti-gun. I'm not sure to get an honest answer, or run around hog wash.
    YOu are very right. He already issued his opinion on the carry issue a month or so back. I carry in AR as I interview witnesses to LA incidents. Legally I do not have any authority in AR but I carry openly while there since it begame legal earlier this year.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

TRX
    The Attorney General has already issued a public statement that he does NOT interpret the wording of the law as allowing "permitless carry". Reading the text of Act 746, I don't see where people get that out of it either.

The AG has said that open carry is not legal in arkansas. The new law that was passed stated what defined journey. A journey is out side your home county. Some say it means you can open carry. There have been two organised own carry demonstrations. They were peaceful and no one was arrested. Different county sheriffs have said different things. Pulaski county says it is not legal to open carry. You have to have ccw license to carry concealed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    Old Sarge likes this.

This past year the legistlature tried to clear up the definition of a "journey" In my opinion, all they did was further confuse the issue. Some seem to think it meant they can open carry,which to best of my knowledge is not true. I'm not in favor of "open carry" myself, but to each his own.

This is taken from Wikipedia: As of August 16, 2013, concealed carry of a handgun without a permit is legal, although CCW permits are still available on a "Shall-Issue" basis. On July 8, 2013 Arkansas Attorney General clarified that the ban on openly carrying handguns in public remains in effect.

You are right on the money about confusion on open carry. Some say yes, others say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    This past year the legistlature tried to clear up the definition of a "journey" In my opinion, all they did was further confuse the issue. Some seem to think it meant they can open carry,which to best of my knowledge is not true. I'm not in favor of "open carry" myself, but to each his own.
    Last edited by flintlock62; December 26th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Here's the deal... Act 746 of 2013 allows you to carry a firearm/handgun with you as long as you are on a "journey"... that being defined as travel outside the county in which you reside. The key point here is that the law specifically defines what a journey is... being outside your home county.

More importantly, is a change in Section 2 of the current law. The new law, which took effect August 16, 2013, deletes from the code the language about claiming a defense in court and states that “it is permissible” to carry a handgun under certain conditions. It also defines a journey as travel outside of a person’s home county. This provision reads: “(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife or club as a weapon against a person.” This removes the chance of being charged criminally with carrying a weapon ,unless it can be shown that you are definitely up to no good while in possession of said weapon.

The bill also deletes from Section 5-73-120 a provision making it a misdemeanor to carry a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages. However it's not a "clean" bill, and the prohibition about carrying in bars, etc., still appears in another section of the code.

Open carry of a firearm is not specifically mentioned, and the AG's interpretation is that open carry is still not allowed. However, a number of local and district prosecutors have publicly stated that they will not file charges against those who openly carry in their jurisdiction. The judge is still out on this issue, and my advice is that if you carry here in the Natural State, you should do so concealed, just to be sure that you do not become the defendant in the trial to try and settle this particular point of law. If you are traveling outside your home county, you may do so legally, with or without a CHCL, as long as you are not engaged or intending to engage in criminal activity. If carrying in your vehicle, I would not have the weapon visible. I live just over the line in Lonoke County, and work on a daily basis in Pulaski County, so technically I'm covered under the journey provision of the Act. Nonetheless, I maintain my CHCL and carry under those provisions as if Act 746 wasn't around.

There's a lot of good news in this new Act, but still a lot of dissent and confusion on just how exactly it applies. I would continue to carry discretely (and concealed) until it's better sorted out.

Tom

Arkansas Carry Law

Tom nailed it, some PA's say they understand the law allows open carry and some don't.

Arkansas carry website has a page showing what counties won't prosecute and which ones will.

Basically I haven't heard of anyone testing the waters besides groups doing open carry walks in away to try and confirm the new law.

Sponsored Links