concealed enough?

This is a discussion on concealed enough? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently aquired my concealed carry permit. I am a bit confused on the "concealed" aspect of the law here in Florida and elsewhere. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed enough?

concealed enough?

I recently aquired my concealed carry permit. I am a bit confused on the "concealed" aspect of the law here in Florida and elsewhere. If I am carrying, and for some reason my firearm accidentally becomes visible, whether the outline through my shirt, for example, or the wind blows my shirt up and the gun is monetarily visible; am I in trouble here? Anyone have any input here would greatly be appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

I was actually gonna ask this same question.. COME ON PEOPLE!!!! lol

No you could carry open if you wanted (in AZ)
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I can only answer for California. You COULD be in trouble, depending on who sees it, and what they do about it. Concealed is concealed, and if someone sees it, files a complaint, you can lose your license. Most people will look confused, but if you smile and go about your business, chances are they will assume you have the right to carry, and will never bother calling anyone. But it only takes one to ruin your day...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Lead Moderator
    check you state laws. your ccw course probably should have covered this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    My understanding is you cant "brandish" the firearm on purpose, as in showing it to threaten someone without probable cause. If someone sees it and calls the law ( without you knowing it ) , you have a permit, you'll be fine when the cops arrive..If someone notices you are carrying and says anything to you ,as in freaking out, just let them know you have a permit to carry...You're in Florida , the "gunshine state", I'm sure most are aware off CCW.......

Intent is the key issue

Several years ago, one of the local clubs here in Utah hosted a seminar on concealed carry issues. This issue was addressed.

Conducting the seminar were a lawyer for the county attorney's office, a firearms trainer from the sheriff's office, and a commander from the highway patrol.

When asked this question they all agreed intent was the key issue. If there was no intent to cause harm or intimidate, none of them considered a firearm observed by another to be anything they wanted to worry about. If, however, the firearm were “brandished” in order to intimidate, they would take it very seriously.

I don't know if this holds true in Florida.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Just do your part and keep it concealed. If you are exposed, apologize politely to whomever and explain you have a license. No biggie. If you make it a big deal so will everyone else. You aren't doing anything wrong by carrying. LEO's know this.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Go to your local gun store and buy a book by Jon Gutmacher on Florida firearms law. It's a resource no one who carries in this state should miss out on. It's in plain english and many police depts even use it for training.

Next answer is it may well depend on the cop if there's a complaint because it is, technically a violation. Some LEO's would be understanding some might not.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Florida's pretty progressive. Very few retentive aspects to the carry laws. Sure, there are some restrictions, but accidental, momentary display does not equal brandishing, as there is zero intent. At worst, it upsets the sheep, but it's not a crime. Yes, could depend on the sanity of the LEO at hand, but at worst it would be a drubbing for blowing your cover, not really for a crime of any sort.

+1 on the suggestion to acquire the Gutmacher book.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes, check your local laws first. However, I believe if you accidently expose yourself (your gun), you should be fine. I don't live in Flordia, so I will not pretend I know the laws (so take what I say with a grain of salt), but if your state can Open Carry, you should be alright with your permit. There is a book for us Virginians that is similar to the Gutmacher book, it's called the Virginia Gun Owner's Guide. It's probably the single most important book for any Virginia gun owner. Written in plain NO-NONSENSE English, it tells you everything you should know about gun ownership (including carrying). If Gutmacher's is as good, I will highly recommend it.

Oh, to touch on brandishing. You'll have to check Flordia laws, but here in Virginia, brandishing is displaying your gun in any way that can be considered a threatening manner. Having it on your hip and Open Carrying isn't a problem, however if you get into an arguement with someone, and you decide to "teach him a lesson" by whipping your coat to the side and placing your hand on the grip of the gun, that can be considered brandishing.
    Pretty common sense stuff.

There is a charge they can slap you with for accidently losing you cover. I don't have my book handy but I believe it's a misdemeanor (hey, someone correct me if they actually know the statute). Open carry is a no no unless you are out in a hunting or fishing area. Not in town.

I remember a case not to long ago where a guy was ticketed for having his shirt ride up in a shop and rob and some fanatical mother freaked. Cops showed up, he showed permit, got ticket with small fine, end of story.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    There is a charge they can slap you with for accidently losing you cover.
    What? Gross insensitivity to a sheep? Heck, worse happens on a farm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What? Gross insensitivity to a sheep? Heck, worse happens on a farm.
    Well, having grown up in a small farm town I bet if most sheeple saw what takes place to put food on their table they'd swear off food, produce and dairy products!!!!

Just we have to remember, concealed is, well, concealed!

MA: Trouble
    NH: Not Trouble
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links