Three Tragic Deaths at Florida Resort

This is a discussion on Three Tragic Deaths at Florida Resort within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a tragic story that could have had a much better ending. http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...612150357/1006 Tragedy - unarmed security guard, needless death, loss of protector's life ...

Thread: Three Tragic Deaths at Florida Resort

Three Tragic Deaths at Florida Resort

This is a tragic story that could have had a much better ending.

http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...612150357/1006

Tragedy - unarmed security guard, needless death, loss of protector's life

Victory - CCW holder saves life of innocent woman by giving his own life

Exploitation - What the media might do with the fact that both men were CCW permit holders

2. Remove Ads

It is a sad story , But doesnt make alot of sense . If i were in a friends home , and a 6' 4" 270 pound man has made entry and is attempting to do harm , I dont think jumping on his back would be the first option . At that point i think my best option would have been to deliver a message at approx 1150 fps !!!!! Its easy to say from here though , Im sure we will hear about how the gun cause this senseless crime , But it sounds like this guy was intent on harming the occupants and probably would have used anything to accomplish his task .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

"Orders of Protection" will not stop someone from doing something like this period. I'm torn between having people even requesting one.

It would help document that you are a reluctant participant incase you needed to shoot perp in self defense or call the police and they can do something about breaking it maybe!

As we all know it won't stop anyone. In some cases, not having a OoP will let the situation defuse itself.

I'm glad you posted the link. In Minnesota, an OoP agains a CCW person must turn over their permit to the sheriff so they would not be a carry permit holder at that point "offically".

Good job to the permit holder who saved the woman. I feel for his family and the security guard's family.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Wow! I can't wait to see the NBC minidrama that they make about this long boring story.

Actually, after checking local listings it looks like it will air tomorrow night. The cast is:
    Dave Hinkle - Brad Pitt
    Daria Grasso - Roseanne Barr
    Shawn "Toughman" Creamer - Woody Allen
    And the quick-thinking security guard David Tripp will be played by, none other than, Elizabeth Taylor.

The media is stupid and will somehow turn this one around to make guns and CCW holders look like the problem! It is ashame a few had to die but what can you do when someone is crazy and wants to kill?
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

She filed a protective order ... he was arrested on suspicion drunk driving. He bonded out. The judge granted the protective order Wednesday. Less than 24 hours later, Creamer and two other men were dead.
    "Based on what I've seen here, I don't think this injunction would have stopped him," said Lt. Bruce Barnett, the lead investigator for the sheriff's office.
    It didn't stop him. I'd be surprised if he even knew of its existence. He obviously didn't care. [re: the restraining order] A political expedient worth the paper it was written on and nothing more.

Well: one less violent BG, I suppose. Too bad it cost the lives of several others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is only a guess from experiences I have witnessed, but when this man found out about the protection order against him, this may have put him over the edge of reason.

I've seen that happen twice with people I've worked with over the years. Two ex-spouses, the days the each found out about an order against them, showed up at work trying to cause all kinds of problems. Take someone who is already a little nutty, and this could be the result. It's just a thought...

He may have been planning this for quite some time, so the court order may have nothing to do with his motivation, but whether it was or not... first thing the court should have done was pull his permit. If he was dangerous enough for the court to grant the order in the first place, then a "legal" gun on his person, just made it that much easier for him.

Of course I don't think pulling his permit would have kept him from carrying a gun, or have prevented him from doing these horrible things, but this sentence from the article, "The two men, who had concealed weapons permits, drew their firearms and fired" puts this guy on an even playing field, and I agree that the press could spin this to the detriment of legal CPL holders.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Links