First time carrying tonight

This is a discussion on First time carrying tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up my permit today from the sheriffs office it took a total of 58 days after I was finger printed. I took my girlfriend ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: First time carrying tonight

Picked up my permit today from the sheriffs office it took a total of 58 days after I was finger printed. I took my girlfriend to the apple store and then to dinner. These are some of the things I noticed on my first carry:

1. I felt like everyone knew I had a gun.

2. Getting into my vehicle was different. I had to hike my pants up so I didn't sit on my gun.

3. My belt was tight but the gun was still pulling my pants down slightly when walking. I kept pulling them back up to were I wanted it. But felt that if I had to run they may end up at my ankles. I am 6"1 and 155lbs so I don't have much of a butt to keep my pants up.

4. Bending over was a major concern when looking at phone cases in the store. I decided to awkwardly bend at the knees.

That's all so far! Great feeling to know that your life is now in your own hands and not in the hands of all the strangers around you.

Chad
    DrDP6, B31, ArmyCop and 6 others like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations. Most of us felt as if everybody knew we were carrying when we first concealed carry. Honestly, most people don't look at your waist and they're not paying attention. Only trained eyes may know.

I suggest you get a good dedicated gun belt. That will help from your gun pulling your pants down.

You definitely have to learn not to bend too much because you will print your sidearm.

Again, congratulations.

Congrats. I second getting a good gun belt. I just got one and what a difference. I worried about printing too when bending over. I read somewhere about kneeling. Now I put my carry side knee down instead of bending over and it works out for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    DrDP6, mikesMP9c and gatorbait51 like this.

One more thing I noticed is that the more I tightened my belt the more it pinches the gun against my body making it very difficult to remove or draw from the iwb leather holster.

Chad
    DrDP6 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Yep always fun the first time . Mine was a micro pocket gun 380 in a good holster so that help a lot with the worries. But what you did not go to walmart??? Everyone needs to go to walmart the first time..

But sry congrats man and it is a learning experience. My main issue is forgetting it is there till I bump into something or trying to get into the car....But you learn to wear long and lose clothes real fast too

And yeah after I tried to carry a full size gun with normal belt I got a good belt .

What were you packing if you dont mind sharing that 26 I see in the photos??

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    One more thing I noticed is that the more I tightened my belt the more it pinches the gun against my body making it very difficult to remove or draw from the iwb leather holster.

Chad
    Get a good belt and if need bigger pants ( often one size larger is needed)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    But what you did not go to walmart???
    I wanted to go to Walmart but the girlfriend didn't want to drive over there :( Tomorrow night will be interesting because we will be walking around Downtown Denver with all the drunken idiots. I don't drink so It should be fun to watch everyone

Chad

There are holster makers who make reinforced IWB holsters that do not collapse when the gun is drawn. Milt Sparks uses steel, and TT Gunleather uses kydex. You won't have to cinch your belt so tight, and if you do, the reinforcement will keep your belt from squeezing the gun.

You bought a real gun, now get a real belt. Makes all the difference in the world. I prefer Al at AG Gunleather for belts, but there are lots of good makers.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    What were you packing if you dont mind sharing that 26 I see in the photos??
    I am carrying a Glock 27 :)

Chad

VIP Member
    Welcome to the world of those who are willing to provide for themselves and their loved ones the means to protect themselves.

Another vote for a good gun belt, being much stiffer you do not need to cinch it really tight for good retention. It will take a bit of time before the feeling of having a billboard proclaiming “I have a gun” goes away but the vast majority of people have such tunnel vision that unless something hits them on the nose they will not suspect anything. As far as bending over I find it much more to squat instead but being on BP meds I have to be careful how fast I come up.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

As you carry more you will eventually develop a style that fits you best. I suggest a quality belt like the others have said, but most importantly do whatever works best for you. I also recommend you review products before you purchase them so you don't end up with a drawer full of unused holsters and other gear. Glad to hear you got your permit!
    DrDP6, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    Romans 12:21

Wear around the house consistently and it will feel odd to not have it on after a while.

If you continue to have that issue after getting a good gun belt and holster, you could consider some suspenders also. I use them sometimes when the needs of the situation warrant it, and they work great.

I also find that when I need to be down low, I can go down to one knee (knee on ground on the side where my gun is), and I get down where I need to be with gun printing a lot less.

Most people won't notice anyway, but it's not a bad habit to get into just in case.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Congratulations on getting your permit, you should bend at the knees anyway it's better for your back. You didn't say what type of holster that you are using, if it's not a hybrid style you may what to think about one they are very comfortable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    Picked up my permit today from the sheriffs office it took a total of 58 days after I was finger printed. I took my girlfriend to the apple store and then to dinner. These are some of the things I noticed on my first carry:

1. I felt like everyone knew I had a gun.

2. Getting into my vehicle was different. I had to hike my pants up so I didn't sit on my gun.

3. My belt was tight but the gun was still pulling my pants down slightly when walking. I kept pulling them back up to were I wanted it. But felt that if I had to run they may end up at my ankles. I am 6"1 and 155lbs so I don't have much of a butt to keep my pants up.

4. Bending over was a major concern when looking at phone cases in the store. I decided to awkwardly bend at the knees.

That's all so far! Great feeling to know that your life is now in your own hands and not in the hands of all the strangers around you.

Chad
    Welcome to our world! Yes, it all starts out feeling very weird on the body and also inside your head . Many give up EDC after a little while because it can be a huge pain in…well actually every single place it rubs against you and all your former habits . Start out trying new ways and don't rush it . Carry in private and especially after you make changes-practice your moves slow and safe . I don't know if anybody has to "break-in new boots" anymore but it's like that . Don't push too hard.

Many years later , being stripped of your kit may not just leave you feeling naked - it may feel like beloved parts of body & soul have been torn away.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links