Carrying at Home and Cover Garments

This is a discussion on Carrying at Home and Cover Garments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I subscribe to a 'carry whenever my pants are on' philosophy. I carry everywhere I legally can, including when I'm at home. My gun goes ...

View Poll Results: Do you wear a cover garment when you're at home?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all the time.

38 13.77%
  • Sometimes, depends on the season/circumstances.

118 42.75%
  • No, don't conceal at home.

64 23.19%
  • My concealment method doesn't require a cover garment.

31 11.23%
  • Don't carry at home.

25 9.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying at Home and Cover Garments

Carrying at Home and Cover Garments

I subscribe to a 'carry whenever my pants are on' philosophy. I carry everywhere I legally can, including when I'm at home. My gun goes on when I get up and comes off when I go to bed. I know there are plenty of other people who subscribe to the same philosophy.

What I was wondering is whether 'concealed means concealed' even at home. Do you wear a cover garment all the time, or only when you're out in public? Why or why not?

When I first started carrying around the house, (before I even got my permit) I didn't conceal. However, as it's gotten cooler and I've gone to wearing long sleeve shirts, I figure I might as well just wear something that also functions as a cover garment.

2. Remove Ads

I leave a cover t-shirt by front door in case going outside or doorbell rings.

I'll get bashed on for saying this I'm sure, but I generally don't carry at home. Maybe if I'm coming or going, or I'll leave it on after I get home for a little while, but at mi casa I usually don't pack. That is not to say there are not firearms close by, or I don't have one or go get one when I go to the door or see a vehicle coming down the driveway (which is about 300 yards long). However when I do carry at home, and I do some, I make no effort to conceal it.

I voted don't conceal, but that may not be the correct answer. Always have a gun in the safepacker at my side. If I am going in and out of the house, I'll strap on the smartcarry. Round abouts the homefront it is primarily about quick easy access and secondarily about comfort.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I'm always armed to the teeth at home.

Unexpected company - maybe in my pocket or a loose T shirt.
    Course a locked and loaded light weapon is always nearby too
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Assistant Administrator
    I carry from waking to going to bed - but am at home much of day - usually in office shed and so unless real cold I am open carry about home.

If I have to answer door then like as not I will turn away such that the piece is not immediately visible. Pretty ''gunnie'' round here so am not too bothered if seen at home open carry. Out and about different matter - total concealment always.

It is incredibly unlikely in an average day I'd ever need the gun - but my thinking is entirely based on established habit - which means in that one in a million situation, I can reach and draw and know it will be there - no need to have to cuss at having left gun elsewhere or waste potentially lethal seconds trying to grab the nearest one.

Wearing it so constantly also means, despite the size and weight - it is no major incumbrance and is effectively part of the daily wear.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nightstand carry at home.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I'm in, gun is off. I want to be comfortable at home...I can always grab it if need be but wearing it around the house seems silly to me.

At the present time, I do cover when I am at home, simply because I am still waiting for my permit, and I am trying to find appropriate clothing that will allow me to look professional while I am working, while still providing proper concealment.

Plus, only my two older kids know I am getting my CPL, and they understand why. I have not taken up the subject with the two younger one's because of their ages, and I feel it is easier to carry, or at least get somewhat used to carrying, without letting the little one's know.

As they get older, they will find out, and then I may not cover at home.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

No kids yet, no need to conceal at home.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I always carry while awake, home or not. Seems to me crime only happens 2 places: at home and away from home. Anyway, I usually cover up, mainly because my teenaged kids have friends that pop in and out a lot, and I really don't wish to freak them out. But I also will open carry in the house a lot, as it is easy to cover up if need be. Open carry is nice for the added speed of access.

If you ever NEED a gun, it is better if it is already on you.

I feel naked without my gun. I only wear a cover shirt or sweater at home if I get chilled. I have my vest at the door if I need to go out in public. What I wear is more for my comfort then anything else.

Some people notice the gun some don't. If it bothers people they usually don't come back, thats OK with me.

at home the big gun gets put up and the mouse gun goes in the pocket.

VIP Member
    I conceal at home incase other kids come over ( teens ) to see my daughter. Also if i have to answer the door , I dont want to freak anyone out, so why not conceal it..I dont always have my gun on me when at home. I live in a small house , so a gun is always near by.....

I would probably still cover up, as my wife hates guns. Out of sight, out of mind, until it's needed.

She did compliment me on my shooting today, kind of.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links