Saf-t-blok

Saf-t-blok

This is a discussion on Saf-t-blok within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Glock users out there ever use the SAF-T-BLOK?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saf-t-blok

Saf-t-blok

Any Glock users out there ever use the SAF-T-BLOK?

A friend of mine who own three Glocks was telling me about these little gizmos. He told me he liked the idea, but he couldn't get used to it, and last I spoke with him about them, he said he wasn't going to use them.

He admitted that if he spent more time getting used to them, he would probobly end up getting used to the extra movement it takes to push it out, but by his own admission, "I'm just to lazy to learn how to be proficient with them. I'd rather just go shooting."

I had to laugh, but he was same way in college.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

foreveryoung001;
    That's the same response I've gotten from two other people.

I've never seen it as a good idea. Glocks don't go off unless you pull the trigger, so just don't pull the trigger until you want to shoot. No need for the safe-t-block, which adds another step to the sequence should there be an emergency.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Forget about getting it out of there in an emergency, what about getting it in? I'm pretty leery of anything that gets stuck inside the trigger guard of a loaded weapon. Seems like a slip of the finger and you could end up with an ND. Better to just get a good holster that covers the trigger guard.

I agree, it's one of those products I'd rather not deal with. A quality holster and proper training work much better.

I would never use or recommend one of these. In order to shoot the weapon, you have to knock the thing out from behind the trigger. If I'm dealing with the stress and the adreneline-dump that are going to accompany a fight for my life, I don't want to be fiddling around near the trigger until I'm darn good and ready to shoot. IMO, these things are seriously unsafe.

as others have said, use a good holster and keep your booger-hook off the trigger.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have three Glocks and see no need. Inserting, removing, and in general using these looks unnecessary. I'll rely on my gray matter, which is one of the reasons I carry anyway.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Administrator
    Well, I know that some folks that pocket a GLOCK might want one.

They DO work every time so there is no reason for anybody who WANTS one not to use one.
    I probably would not use one.
    As long as they remember to pop it out then no problem.

One valid reason to have one installed is that it MIGHT possibly save your life in a Gun Grab situation if you've lost control of firearm & when the BG Perp pulls the trigger on your head and nothing happens & the pistol does not go bang. That might be one reason to install one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I own and carry only Glock pistols and they are among the safest pistols on the market. I wouldn't recommend these to anybody! This is just adding an unnecessary step in the draw-fire process to learn, practice and develop the muscle memory to quickly remove it. Learn and practice weapon retention techniques instead. These things are junk. Don't waste your $$$.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Hmmm...

I am going to disagree with the majority opinion on this issue.

As QK pointed out, pocket carry might be one application. Another might be when carrying in a 'soft' holster like a belly band or SmartCarry.

I do use one when carrying in a belly band. Presentation speed does not suffer dramatically and I do not view them as inherently unsafe. It does require extra care and training though. I see them as a specialty item that can be used for specific applications.

YMMV.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

A Glock is safe as a pocket piece with a good pocket holster. The "soft" holsters.......well.............I've never used one, but see the application therein.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

There Is Another Safe Measure...

Instead of using the Saf-T-Blok...I just use a good brand of duct tape and wrap it around the entire 'trigger area'...and around the'belly' of the gun. This prevents the possible AD that can occur if you don't know how to use your TRIGGER FINGER...{sarcasm off}...

No, I would never use one...

I would never carry ANY firearm without a good holster...and no, I don't really use duct tape!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I don't like to judge what other folks might have a specialty or unique use for.

It's really not for me to say what people absolutely should not use...unless I personally feel it's an inferior or unsafe product.

Technically, I don't see anything WRONG with this product though I do not have any use for one for myself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One valid reason to have one installed is that it MIGHT possibly save your life in a Gun Grab situation if you've lost control of firearm & when the BG Perp pulls the trigger on your head and nothing happens & the pistol does not go bang. That might be one reason to install one.
    What type of "gun grab" situation are you talking about? One where they yank the gun out of your hand, or one where they take it from your holster?

I ask because, in the first scenario (taking it out of your hand) it seems that if we've already drawn the weapon in preparation for using it, we would have already pushed this thing out from behind the trigger.
    If you're talking about the second scenario (taking it from your holster), I have to ask: how did they see your [concealed] firearm, and why didn't they get a knife in the throat or a finger in the eye for trying to take your weapon?

Different strokes for different folks I guess...I still see no reason to have one of these things.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links