Concealment advice

This is a discussion on Concealment advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As indicated by my user name, I'm skinny. Like 30" waist AFTER Thanksgiving dinner skinny. And about 5' 10" tall. I'm just trying to figure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Concealment advice

Concealment advice

As indicated by my user name, I'm skinny. Like 30" waist AFTER Thanksgiving dinner skinny. And about 5' 10" tall. I'm just trying to figure out my options. As far as what my carry gun would be, I'm a big fan of the 1911. Love the way it shoots and fits in my hand. I realize it's heavier than your polymer pistols and has less capacity, but you can't beat the .45 for stopping power and it seems more controllable for me. That being said, any suggestions?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Baggy shirt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

huh. i fit that description, pretty close anyway.
    5' 10", 155 lbs, 32" waist.

a full size 1911 is too much for me to carry, i can get used to the wieght, but i have to wear a darn parka, or similar, and walk around like a ramrod not bending or twisting for it to not "print". and by print, i mean poke out of my shirt like an alien coming out of a chest.

the commander versions, especially with a bobbed mainspring housing may be better, but i have never had the chance to carry one.

my wife really likes her Kahr 9mm single stack.

if you want more power, especially if your not too worried about capacity, how about a snubbie?
    gatorbait51 and fredg53 like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Stevew hit the nail on the head. Sometimes we as Permit holders need to adjust our clothing to allow for holsters etc .With a full size 1911, a cover shirt would be a big help. My son frequently asks me why I dont shop at A & F or holister and my reply is always that their clothing does not adequately allow for concealed carry. lol
    gatorbait51 and halem1 like this.

Let me apologize in advance for starting yet another caliber war but your thread title reads, "Concealment advice" so hear goes nothing. My advice would be to rethink the whole "can't beat a 45 for stopping power" thing. I'm a lot bigger than you (6'5", 210 lbs.) and I would not want to lug a 1911 around all day. My biggest handgun is a Glock 20 and I rarely ever carry it concealed because it's so big and heavy. 16 rounds of 10mm seems like a whole lot of stopping power compared to a small 9mm but to me it isn't enough more to justify trying to conceal such a big gun. My preferred EDC weapon is a Glock 26. I can conceal it IWB very easily and in winter clothing I can also conceal a 17 round reload in a belt clip mag pouch. The two put together are way more comfortable and concealable than my Glock 20. On top of all that I shoot the Glock 26 very well. I have every confidence in my ability to put multiple rounds on target quickly with that gun. 11 rounds of 124 grain +p Gold Dot in the gun and 17 more in the reload. If I can't stop a threat with all that firepower I've got bigger problems than any handgun will be able to solve.
    gatorbait51 and WannabeaCPA like this.

I am just about your size, 5'10" and a tad over 200, oh wait, you said 30" waist.

Not going to knock folks who carry a 1911, but I have found a couple of things that keep me from carrying it. First is weight, I can carry 17 rds of 9mm in a full sized gun and still be under the weight of a 1911 with 8 rds. Or I can carry a CW45 and loose 1 rd to the 1911 and 2 full pounds of gun. Secondly, the 1911 platform requires much, much more maintenance on a carry weapon that its polymer cousins. As in down here in Texas when you sweat on your nice 1911 daily you are basically ruining an otherwise great gun unless you break it down and clean it every day. That just isn't for me.

If you plan on carrying a full sized gun, whatever full sized gun at your size, you are going to have to learn to dress around your gun. Loose shirt or cover shirt/garment.

What do you do for a living? Are you required to tuck your shirt in daily or can you leave it untucked? That makes a huge difference.

With a t-shirt on, a CW45 in a Remora holster works great (for me). With a button up square bottom cut shirt a bit baggy, a full sized pistol OWB in a Fist holster works great (for me). This is in the summer months when cover garments aren't an option. Either way, the guns get nasty when you sweat on them.

In the winter it is much easier. Wearing a button up shirt, unbuttoned as a cover shirt pretty much anything goes with a good belt and holster.

You just have to play with your wardrobe and find out what is going to work for you based on your size and what you do for a living.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    At 3:00 with a 20-degree forward cant, my full-sized single stack, 1911-esque S&W 1006 prints no more than my Glock 19 in the same position, which is not at all. It weighs twice as much, tho, so I more often go with the Glocks, or similarly-sized M&Ps.
    Stevew and gatorbait51 like this.

Carry options are ALWAYS a compromise. Bigger hits harder & shoots easier. Smaller conceals easier yet (IMHO) universally require more practice. This quiz is, around here, a favorite game to play. Nobody is better than you at deciding FOR YOU!

As for the "stopping power". Again IMHO, any and all quality defensive ammo, 9mm or juicier, is more about shot placement & split times. I feel no deadlier with a .45 acp than with a 9mm.
    WrongRecroom, GWarden and Paco23 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Shouldn't be a problem concealing a 1911. I would suggest a Commander size and bobtail model. Just seems to break up the profile a little better.

BTW....Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Kimber and others make compact and sub compact models. Also the glock 30 (s/sf ) are very small compact 45 . I would say look at a compact model 1911 2-3 in barrel .

As for hidding it your help but most being a single stack gun so a good holster and good belt will go a long ways

I'm 6'0 and about 160 so I guess I'm similar in build. I've found the grip height to be the critical dimension in a pistol that inhibits concealability. I do well keeping it at about 5.25 or shorter and find that I can keep it concealed and still have freedom to bend over and move around without too much printing. Width would be second as a comfort consideration, and barrel length third as sometimes it hits a seat pan when I sit and it can be uncomfortable or it can shift the weapon when I sit.

This is very arguable but I would approach it with the mindset that 9mm, .40, and, .45 are all effective self defense rounds and go out and try some pistols in those calibers to see which one you shoot the best. I carry 9mm, .357, and .45 and I shoot 9mm the best so I carry it most often until I can get better with .45 which I just got into.

Then I would decide on what style you are most comfortable carrying...striker-fired, DAO, DA/SA (which is what I prefer right now), or SAO (1911). Once you have caliber and action down...then review the handguns that meet that. That will narrow your search considerably.

As for small .45's striker fired would include Glock 30s/36, M&P 45c, and XDs. DAO would be a Kahr and others (I'm not familiar with many DAOs), DA/SA would be Sig P220, P227, Bersa Thunder UC, and SAO would be 1911's (Colt Defender, etc.).

Of course that list isn't all inclusive but just a starting point. Oh and never forget to consider a revolver....I love my SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdude85 View Post
    As indicated by my user name, I'm skinny. Like 30" waist AFTER Thanksgiving dinner skinny. And about 5' 10" tall. I'm just trying to figure out my options. As far as what my carry gun would be, I'm a big fan of the 1911. Love the way it shoots and fits in my hand. I realize it's heavier than your polymer pistols and has less capacity, but you can't beat the .45 for stopping power and it seems more controllable for me. That being said, any suggestions?
    A nice IWB holster and a stiff belt should fill out your needs nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I you have to have a .45, consider the Glock 30 line (30, SF30, 30S). All use the same width frame, the SF being slightly shorter trigger reach, the 30S being a SF frame with a slimmer 36 slide. Personally I don't any being more concealable than the others. All 3 can use a G21 13-rd mag.

Having said that, any of the more common SD calibers are just as effective if applied properly, so you might want to expand your options, caliber wise.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Have you considered a Colt Officers Model, or one of the clones? Just a bit smaller and lighter. Might make the difference.
    I remember when I used to have a 30" waist. That was a lifetime ago. sigh
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Just wear a shirt untucked & carry a 1911 4" barrel. I live in the Sunshine State and carry at times my SA 1911 with NO ISSUE. And, I'm 5'11"
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links