What does it take?

What does it take?

This is a discussion on What does it take? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read on this forum several times, and have experienced it once, that police do not always respond in a timely manner. I was reading ...

Thread: What does it take?

What does it take?

I've read on this forum several times, and have experienced it once, that police do not always respond in a timely manner. I was reading this article tonight:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237003,00.html

and this sentence jumped out at me.

"After receiving several emergency calls about an elderly man with a hatchet, police responded at about 5:40 p.m. Saturday to Dimitriev's apartment building."

Just makes me wonder why they didn't repond to an ax weilding man after just one call.

I'm sure most of the calls came within minutes of each other, but the way it is worded just made me wonder...

NYC Police Shoot, Kill Axe-Wielding Man During Confrontation

Sunday, December 17, 2006

* E-MAIL STORY
    * PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

NEW YORK — A 62-year-old man was shot and killed in a confrontation with police on Saturday night, just hours after thousands of protesters marched down Fifth Avenue Saturday to protest the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man on his wedding day.

It was the third fatal officer-involved shooting of a civilian in three weeks.

Neighbors identified Anatoly Dimitriev as the man who died in Saturday's shooting. They said he appeared to be mentally ill. Police would not confirm his name. But neighbors said they saw Dimitriev throwing bottles out his apartment window and chopping at trees with an ax in the courtyard of the co-op apartment building where he lived with his 41-year-old son in the city's Bronx borough.

After receiving several emergency calls about an elderly man with a hatchet, police responded at about 5:40 p.m. Saturday to Dimitriev's apartment building.

By the time they arrived, Dimitriev had barricaded himself in his apartment, holding his son hostage. Police burst through the apartment door, and Dimitriev fled through a window onto the fire escape, leaving his unharmed son behind.

Police followed Dimitriev, demanding he lay down the ax. When he began to come at police with the weapon, an officer shot him. Two bullets struck the 62-year-old in the abdomen.

Dimitriev was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Worried that Person's death may ignite tensions still smoldering over the shooting of an unarmed black man in Queens, Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion issued a plea for calm.

"I ask the community to remain calm, and withhold judgment until an investigation is completed," Carrion said in a statement. "Police officers have a job to do, often times under difficult
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I would speculate that the multiple calls came in almost simultaneously, and each was likely adding to the information they had as they went to the scene.

Admittedly, the wording makes is sound like it took some prompting to get the police to respond, but I doubt there was any delay given the nature of the call.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

If This Were True...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I would speculate that the multiple calls came in almost simultaneously..., but I doubt there was any delay given the nature of the call.
    why is it that the Domino's Pizza guy got there ten minutes before the police?

OMO

...and yes, that is a little sarcastic, I apologize...but, it could be true!
    We are responsible for our own safety!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When ever I had to call the police while working security in Gary IN. we had a 2 hour wait. The police are especially slow in bad crime areas. I really think that it is intentional too.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

VIP Member
    A man acting crazy with an ax would get multiple phone calls all at the same time. You can't blame the police for not having a response time of under one second.

The people here like to pretend that the police are totally incompetent. It isn't true. No, they can't be there to defend you at all times, but they WILL do everything in their power to help you. Yes, you are responsible for yourself, but the best thing you can ever do is find a safe spot and call the police. Like it or not, they are able to handle many things that you cannot handle alone.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    A man acting crazy with an ax would get multiple phone calls all at the same time. You can't blame the police for not having a response time of under one second.

The people here like to pretend that the police are totally incompetent. It isn't true. No, they can't be there to defend you at all times, but they WILL do everything in their power to help you. Yes, you are responsible for yourself, but the best thing you can ever do is find a safe spot and call the police. Like it or not, they are able to handle many things that you cannot handle alone.
    I'm sorry if my original post made it sound like I was saying the police were incompetent. That was not my intention. The article does not say how long it took for LE to arrive.

I was mainly pointing out the wording of a single sentence, and what my first reaction was to reading it the way it was worded.

then again, for all I know, Ret may be right, and they may have been eating pizza when the cops arrived........ j/k
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I bet, as already mentioned, all of those calls came within minutes, maybe even seconds, of each other.
    Beretta 92FS

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    First of all, my dad was a cop, so I am not knocking them.
    I have however seen it take well over an hour and a half for them to respond to injury auto accident, about 3/4 mi from the police station. This was in the middle of the summer, on a slow night according to the scanner. Then again, I have seen them respond to another wreck in the exact same location in less than 3 minutes. They were both at an intersection I can see from my home, and I placed the call on both occasions. By all means call the police, but don't put all your eggs in their basket either, they are human beings just like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    Worried that Person's death may ignite tensions still smoldering over the shooting of an unarmed black man in Queens
    Sorry to derail, but this is a LIE. The man was driving a car and tried to run over a cop. A car is considered a deadly weapon in the eyes of the law.

A man was going up to bed, when his wife told him he'd left the light on in the garden shed-she could see it from the bedroom window. But he said that he hadn't been in the shed that day. He looked himself, and there were people in the shed, stealing things.

He rang the police, but they told him that no-one was in his area, so no-one was available to catch the thieves. He said ok, hung up, counted to 30 and rang the police again.

"Hello. I just rang you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed? Well, you don't have to worry about them now, I've just shot them all."

Within five minutes there were half a dozen police cars in the area, an Armed Response unit, the works. Of course, they caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to this man: "I thought you said you'd shot them!"

He replied: "I thought you said there was no-one available!"

That's a good one mzmtg!
    Our CCW instructor gave us a handy hint for getting the police to your house quicker in a home invasion scenario - tell the 911 operator that you are armed and prepared to use your weapons to defend yourself and your family. Generally the mention of firearms escalates the response time.

Meth heads were trying to burn my house down, I live in a very small town, and it took 1 hour. I took care of it myself and had them all waiting on the curb for the police. Steve 48

Not to denigrate the police - they're trying to do too much with too little - but the reason I bought my weapon and got my CWP is because it can take the police a long time to respond. As others have stated, they are really not there to prevent a crime from happening, nor are they there to protect an individual or group; they are there to investigate the aftermath of a crime and pursue and arrest the guilty parties... I will still call 9-1-1 and request help in the event of an incident, but I will not place my life or the lives of my family in the hands of the police who are "on the way"...
    Last edited by gwhall57; December 19th, 2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: misspellings
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Emergency responders (all types) are generally fairly limited in number. Learn first-aid; it may save a life while you wait for the uniforms. Learn how to shoot; "Ditto". Have fire-extinguishers in your home, smoke-alarms, and rehearsed exits; "Ditto".

Only you can save your butt.

Sponsored Links