Thanks Tim @ CC Mag

This is a discussion on Thanks Tim @ CC Mag within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I remember, the first couple issues did have some sort of envelope or plastic sleeve, but I can imagine that it adds to the ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Tim @ CC Mag

If I remember, the first couple issues did have some sort of envelope or plastic sleeve, but I can imagine that it adds to the cost real fast, especially for a new venture.

If anyone wants it, I've got an extra copy of the issue that came with the Front Sight DVD.....I don't have a DVD player....

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    If anyone wants it, I've got an extra copy of the issue that came with the Front Sight DVD.....I don't have a DVD player....
    If no one has jumped at it I'd like to see the back issue, since the current issue is my first one.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Ridgerunner

News stand sales

When is Concealed Carry Magazine going to start appearing on newsstands around the country. I keep looking for it but don't find it. I reckin I will mail in the card for a subscription so I don't miss any more of them. Do you have back issues available?

CCM on the Newsstands?

Hi Ridgerunner,
    That is a good question. I've submitted CCM to a national distributor called Ingram Publications (they do Barnes & Noble & all the big bookstores). They've even accepted the magazine! Unfortunately, the newsstand sales thing is not too "small-publisher" friendly. It pretty much comes down to a money issue... They order 5,000 magazines and pay for only the ones they sell... six months later... plus they get a 55% discount... plus we have to pay for all the shipping costs.
    Believe me, when we can afford to do it, we'll be on the newsstand. I just can't swing it yet.

DC Founder
    Wow, they get the lion's share of that deal, don't they?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    One of my businesses is selling servicing computers. Ingram-Micro (a sister org to Ingram Publications) is the largest distributor of computer equipment/software in the US. And they are brutal to do business with from either side. They make a ton of money and neither the mfr or the Reseller make much on the deal.

They force the mfrs to eat the returns, which in the publication business means the copies not sold. The distributor takes essentially no risks on the deal.

Most of the smaller computer hardware/software mfrs choose to sell direct rather than deal with these distributors! I see no reason why small publishers would feel any different!

FLM
    B&N doesn't carry a lot of gun mags. Try Books-A-Million. The one here has every gun mag you can think of.

Need Help from Members - Cover Ideas

The toughest part of every issue is to come up with a good cover image. I would like to ask anyone out there for some ideas or concepts or even photos of what they'd like to see on the cover of Concealed Carry Magazine.

So far, we've stuck by the single rule that we always want a person and a gun on the cover. This rule comes from the idea that the magazine is not so much about guns, but rather the person carrying the gun.... make sense?

Aside from that single rule, we're open to pretty much anything. I'd like to stay away from the traditional "gun magazine" photo of gun with tactical knife nearby alongside some scattered ammo!

ANY ideas will be much appreciated.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ccm-tim
    The toughest part of every issue is to come up with a good cover image. I would like to ask anyone out there for some ideas or concepts or even photos of what they'd like to see on the cover of Concealed Carry Magazine.

So far, we've stuck by the single rule that we always want a person and a gun on the cover. This rule comes from the idea that the magazine is not so much about guns, but rather the person carrying the gun.... make sense?

Aside from that single rule, we're open to pretty much anything. I'd like to stay away from the traditional "gun magazine" photo of gun with tactical knife nearby alongside some scattered ammo!

ANY ideas will be much appreciated.
    Tim
    Tim,
    I think that it would be nice to see an atypical gun owner (i.e. non-stereo type) such as an older woman dressed in common garb with her cover garment brushed back exposing her sidearm to the camera. She should not necessarily be pretending to be responding to a threat but simply showing her sidearm calmly. This would reflect the tone of the magazine as an intelligent , thought out, publication rather than a reactionary, knee jerk rant venue. Most gun mags have the grimising guy in the photo vest with ballcap and aviator sun glasses brandishing his 5" 1911 (a gun that I love by the way) at the camera which is just plain crap and re-enforces the stereo-typing of gun owners as angry white men or cop "wannabees". I liked the one cover with the 1911 being held by what is clearly a woman's hand with a braclet. The cover picure should say "we are revealing-the-concealed as intelligent, responsible, people and the stereo-types are wrong so think again." A calm feel in the picture will imply you are a thinking person's publication.

Assistant Administrator
    Tim - I have given this thought and like what Lucky is thinking of.

I reckon there may be a good number of ''less usual'' person types to portray. The elderly is good - just a subtle glimpse of a nice rig and piece in place. The same would look good too on a guy with city suit - just pulled back enough to show - suggesting the ''professional'' class sorta guy (yeah, they carry too!).

I'd love to do some pics but fear that whilst my camera is good (Minolta DiMAGE A1) and versatile - it is only 72 PPI ... I think you need 300 IIRC. OTOH, if final pic was right for size and not needing reduction then perhaps quality would still be well adequate.

One other possibility - a guy in wheelchair perhaps - holding back jacket to show a sho rig maybe - again, helping spread the word beyond the stereotypical.

I'll keep thinking!
    Last edited by P95Carry; March 10th, 2005 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Oh I hate typos!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like the basic layout you use now. I second the idea of using "nonstandard" people to drive home the point that CCW is for all of us. Let's steer away from the notion that the average gunowner and CCW holder is a moderately fit 25-50yo white male (a group I belong to, btw). Also, dress them up, dress them down, but don't dress them tacticool. Let them look like average joe on the street. Also, find a way to get rid of the "1000yd stare". Make them look friendly and engaging, like someone you WANT to meet.

A good example is my brother. He's overweight, partially handicapped, and sports a shaved head. He's incredibly funny, engaging, and intelligent (my daughter adores him). He doesn't look like the typical gunowner, but recently joined the NRA and bought his first gun, an AK, a few months ago.

Chris

Me, in Speedos, Desert Eagle in each hand!!!

Dan

Why must we always see the firearm in an isolated or pseudo military/LEO context?

I've long had this idea for a series of photos of ordinary people holding their guns in various contexts like offices, hospitals, factories, retail stores with a caption like: "Hello. My name is Don. I'm an educator. And this is my gun." And then a short blurb about why that person carries.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    Me, in Speedos, Desert Eagle in each hand!!!

Dan
    NO! For the love of all we hold dear, NOOOOO!!!!!

Ask me wife if you can use her image with her SKS...didn't I post that somewhere?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

DC Founder
    I think that Lucky's post, and the others, (Speedo suggestion excepted) would accurately portray the average permit holder. I think drawing/pointing occasionally is okay, but not the norm for most of us that carry. I have been surprised at the number of permit holders that are confined to a wheelchair but under closer examination makes perfect sense. I am sure many BGs look at them as "easy marks." I love surprises.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links