I must be crazy...finally applying for NY CCW

This is a discussion on I must be crazy...finally applying for NY CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so since I've lived here for 6 months now, I'm finally being "allowed" to submit my application for my NYS Pistol Permit. The good: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be crazy...finally applying for NY CCW

Unhappy I must be crazy...finally applying for NY CCW

OK, so since I've lived here for 6 months now, I'm finally being "allowed" to submit my application for my NYS Pistol Permit.

The good:
    -Permit is good for life or "until revoked" so I don't have to worry about renewals

-The county I live in issues full unrestricted carry permits that are good for all of NY except NYC

The bad:

-I had to live here for 6 months before I could even apply

-I have not even been able to bring my pistols into the state because it would turn me into an instant felon

-While the state law limits the application fee at $10, the real way it works is this...$5 to "buy" the application, $5 application fee, $35 finger printing charge, $99 FBI background check fee, passport photos $0.19

-Theh fingerprinting office is only open on the second high tide after a blue moon on any day that may happen to start with the letter G and end with the letter X from 1:30-2:27.

-I need 7...yes SEVEN references. I need 4 people from the county that I live in that have known me for at least 6 months....and I need 3 people from my home state that are willing to sign a form attesting to my "good moral character", have it notarized, and send it back to me.

The Crazy:
    My references are as follows
    County
    1. Friend of mine who claims "I hate guns" because "they scare me"
    2. Former Anthropology teacher who I have known for quite some time now. I don't have any idea her thoughts on firearms
    3. A former emergency room physician...I have no idea his thoughs on firearms
    4. His wife. I have no idea her thoughts on firearms

Former State
    1. a former co-worker who has no problem with it...whew at least one of them went easy
    2. a Canadian who went to a liberal ivy league medical school, moved to NYC and then moved to NJ who, when I asked her about being a reference, said "of course, but I can't believe that you would bring a gun into the house with a child"
    3. her husband, a NYC lawyer, don't know his stance on guns but he is from the south and his parents are/were farmers

This whole thing has been very hard as you can tell....generally I don't let anyone in on the fact that I even own firearms unless you are a friend or family...let alone the fact that I carry! Now I have to go to all of my friends and explain to them, not only that I am an "evil" gun owner...but that I would like them to be a reference on my application.

Granted, the above is making it sound a tad bit worse that it is, but not much. But I swore when I moved here that I would jump through the hoops that NYS and my county have set up...and I will do just that. The good news is that all of these people are my friends and they would tell me if they couldn't do it on moral grounds...I still have yet to ask some of them as I am hoping that I will meet a better candidate for their slot, but time is running out so I will have to start asking more and more of them as time goes on. The good news is that, so far everyone I have asked has said that they will happily do it since they "know" me. But the ones that are left I'm still a bit hesitant to ask...you can imagine why from reading the list above. I wanted to apply right at the 6-month-of-residence-mark but I still have to get to know a couple of these people a bit better before I'm comfortable asking them about this. Oh well. in any event I'll be applying within the next month.

I guess on the positive side, I've heard stories of people's references not even being contacted...so I guess I could always hope for that

I'm very much missing the easy procedure for getting a license in NH right about now.

2. Remove Ads

What county?

All of my references were contacted. The sheriff even asked me for a phone # since one had left his job and his work # was on the app.

I'm in Monroe county. Based on your out of state reference requirements it sounds like you are too. It seems like a pain but once you do it all it's not a big deal. It takes 10 minutes to fill out the applications. Once you get printed you can walk the half-block over to the county building and turn it in. I didn't have out of state people though. I picked up my app and got the notarized forms but by the time I turned it in I had lived here for 3 years so I didn't need them any more.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    What county?

All of my references were contacted. The sheriff even asked me for a phone # since one had left his job and his work # was on the app.

I'm in Monroe county. Based on your out of state reference requirements it sounds like you are too. It seems like a pain but once you do it all it's not a big deal. It takes 10 minutes to fill out the applications. Once you get printed you can walk the half-block over to the county building and turn it in. I didn't have out of state people though. I picked up my app and got the notarized forms but by the time I turned it in I had lived here for 3 years so I didn't need them any more.

Yep you guessed it! Monroe county
    The application really isn't that bad at all as you said, I was surprised how short it was actually. The application process and wait aren't really the biggest bother for me...I just don't like the whole reference thing...in case you couldn't tell from my original post
    What did you have to have notorized for your app.?

Where do you shoot?

I'd like to say Welcome to the People's Republic of New York. Although some may disagree, be sure and add extra liability insurance to your homeowners or renters insurance in this state. You can also get extra liaibility insurance through the NRA. Get yourself a copy of New York State Gun Laws from Looseleaf Publications in Flushing, NY (718-359-5559). Also find yourself a top Criminal Defense Attorney who you can call in case you should ever have to even draw your firearm let alone use it. You can face criminal charges in this pathetic State for just drawing it to scare someone away. This may sound like overkill, but my wife and I belong to 3 gun clubs where there are many lawyers, insurance agents and police officers who are members. We have also been taking advanced threat management classes and the trainer, lawyers (including ours, who carries), insurance agents (including ours), and officers mentioned above all strongly suggested the above advice. Gun owners in New York State have to take extreme measures to protect themselves from just an incident alone which could wipe them and their families out financially, and land you in prison. The criminals in this State have incredible rights and protections. Again it may sound like overkill, but at least look into it. Also communicate regularly with your State Assemblyman or Senator and firmly let them know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment rights. Starting next month gun owners in New York State will be coming under an all out assault from Newly elected Governor Spitzer, State Attorney General Cuomo and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. All are far left communist democrats. They despise gun owners. Welcome to New York.

Assistant Administrator
    Kudos for determination - and sure as heck hope it works out for you.

If it goes South then move West - into PA!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What a pain in the a_ _ !!
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

All that for the right to bear arms???? I sure am glad you are not asking for a priviledge.

Tim

Question

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post

-I have not even been able to bring my pistols into the state because it would turn me into an instant felon

Can you explain this part? Is owning a pistol in NY illegal? If it's just the transport, seems like the federal law would take precendence.

They Can Do This In New York?

If I were you, I'd call my Senator...

Wait a minute, isn't Hillary on of your Senators?

Sorry, I think you have a big problem.

What a ridiculous set of hoops to make anyone jump through...

I didn't realize that all the gun toting criminals had to go through this much of a hassle to carry a gun... Oh, I forgot, they just carry a gun without any of the trouble the 'good citizen' must first put up with...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Can you explain this part? Is owning a pistol in NY illegal? If it's just the transport, seems like the federal law would take precendence.
    yep, possession is illegal without a pistol permit...the funny part is this
    you can't own a pistol without a permit
    there is no safety course to get the permit
    with the permit, you can carry anywhere in the state except NYC
    ...while it can get a bit more complicated than that with "administrative rules" in some areas, that's pretty much the law. Very strange indeed

(counting down) 2 years 6 months

Good luck! Just short of six months on my wait. I suggest you take the course offered by the county Sheriff, not required but pretty good information on NYS penal law. The interviewing officer will also ask, can't hurt to say you've taken it. They do a pretty thorough interview of you and your references, as others have said they will call.
    I don't see what's funny about not being able to own a pistol without a permit, though.
    I keep voting against Chuck and Hillary, hasn't worked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I don't see what's funny about not being able to own a pistol without a permit, though.
    Well, I'm used to living in one of the "free" states where you can go into a gun shop and walk out 10 minutes later with a handgun....that and I don't think the permiting system does anything to prevent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I were you, I'd call my Senator...

Wait a minute, isn't Hillary on of your Senators?

Sorry, I think you have a big problem.

What a ridiculous set of hoops to make anyone jump through...

I didn't realize that all the gun toting criminals had to go through this much of a hassle to carry a gun... Oh, I forgot, they just carry a gun without any of the trouble the 'good citizen' must first put up with...

OMO

ret
    The really scary thing here is that NYS lawmakers believe...no wait...they SAY that they believe the reason that our laws aren't making a difference in the crime rate is because of illegal guns coming in from other states....this leads to their push for more national laws that are written by NY senators. ...absolute morons...
    We have some bad ones in this state...Clinton, Schumer, Spitzer

I was not talking about Senators Shumer and Clinton at the Federal level in my reply, although you should firmly communicate with them your feelings on your 2nd amendment rights. I have written, called and emailed both of them many times. Shumer's office has always responded, even though they have mostly disagreed. His office will talk to you and take your opinion. But Clinton's office has never responded to anything. They try to poo poo you by saying she supports the 2nd amendment and get you off the phone as quickly as they can. I was talking about our State representatives in Albany. The Republican New York State Senate is the only thing standing in the way from having our 2nd amendment rights at the State level decimated and they hold the Senate by only 2 seats starting in January. If the Liberal Democratic New York State Assembly has it's way, Chicago and California will look like bastions of freedom for gunowners. We have dangerous treasonous liberal judges who love to legislate from the bench here. Join the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association which is the #1 lobbying group for gunowners in New York State and join S.C.O.P.E. Get involved as best you can.

yep, I knew what you were saying ...the other thoughts on my part were just a bit off topic.
    and yes I have contacted my local officials already...haven't heard back yet though...I do hate getting the "XYZ supports the 2nd amendment blah blah blah" yeah right...and the 2nd amendment applies only to state militias and flintlock rifles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links