Permit Holder Shooting

This is a discussion on Permit Holder Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone in Oregon have more info on this one? Suspect has sisterís support Barbare Chimienti says she canít believe her sister, Judy Day, would have ...

Thread: Permit Holder Shooting

VIP Member

Permit Holder Shooting

Anyone in Oregon have more info on this one?

Suspect has sisterís support
    Barbare Chimienti says she canít believe her sister, Judy Day, would have shot her husband
    By JACK MORAN
    Mail Tribune

All Barbara Chimienti wants to do for Christmas is tell her sister, murder suspect Judy Day, that she supports her.

The Lincoln County resident said she has no idea why Day would have shot her husband earlier this month inside the coupleís Eagle Point home as police allege. Chimienti said she will visit her sister soon to assure her that she is not alone.

"Itís very sad," Chimienti said. "Her boys have written her off, and Iím about the only one left."

Chimienti said Judy and Dan Day lived a peaceful life in Eagle Point since they were married about 15 years ago. Neither drank, she said, and both held down regular jobs: Judy as a Driver and Motor Vehicle Services employee, Dan as a worker for the Bureau of Land Management.

The couple had no children together, but Judy Day, 60, raised three sons from a previous relationship, Chimienti said. One of the boys phoned Chimienti on Dec. 12 to relay some shocking news.

"He said, ĎDanís dead, and Momís in the hospital,í " Chimienti said. "He told me they both had bullet holes in them. Police wouldnít tell him anything else about it."

Investigators have released little about what happened inside the Daysí Teakwood Drive home during the early morning hours of Dec. 12, other than to say that they believe Judy Day shot her 59-year-old husband more than once before turning the gun on herself.

Judy Day spent five days in Rogue Valley Medical Center recovering from a gunshot wound to her chest before sheriffís deputies arrested her on Friday and moved her to the Jackson County Jail, where she is now being held without bail on a single count of murder.

When deputies lodged Day, she was initially placed on a suicide watch. She was held in an isolation cell and checked on every 15 minutes. Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said she has since been evaluated by a mental health worker and is now part of the jailís general population.

Chimienti said that although her sister possesses a concealed handgun permit, she has trouble believing Judy Day would be capable of shooting someone.

"Never has she shown any violence," Chimienti said. "I was always the one getting into fights ó usually sticking up for her when she got picked on."

Chimienti said both she and Day were adopted in Walla Walla, Wash., when they were infants. The pair shared "a regular upbringing," she said.

Chimienti was working Wednesday to get in touch with her sisterís court-appointed attorney, Daniel Simcoe, and plans to travel to Medford soon to see her. She phoned the jail earlier this week, but was told deputies there could not say anything about Dayís case.

Jackson County District Attorney Mark Huddleston said last week that he knows of no history of domestic violence between Judy and Dan Day. Chimienti, too, said she is unaware of any marital problems the Days might have had.

"I am completely flabbergasted," she said. "They treated each other just like any other couple, and I cannot understand what happened there. It is so bizarre.

"I feel like this is April Foolsí Day, and I keep waiting for someone to jump out and say ĎApril Fools!í"

Judy Day had no criminal record in Oregon. If convicted of murder, she will spend a minimum of 25 years in prison before she is eligible for parole. She is scheduled to return to Jackson County Circuit Court on Jan. 10 for a pre-trial hearing.

Reach reporter Jack Moran at 776-4459, or e-mail jmoran@mailtribune.com.

2. Remove Ads

Sad news Scott. Thanks for sharing. so it was an attemtped Murder-Suicide?
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

VIP Member
    I guess that's what they are thinking. A muddled picture from that article and I couldn't find anything else on it at all. It's been a month so I would've thought there was an update. I guess not.

-Scott-

Links