CCW at the monster truck show (FL)

This is a discussion on CCW at the monster truck show (FL) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up ticket to the monster truck show in Tampa in Jan . Just wondering , Florida defines any high school , college ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW at the monster truck show (FL)

CCW at the monster truck show (FL)

I just picked up ticket to the monster truck show in Tampa in Jan . Just wondering , Florida defines any high school , college , or professional Athletic event as off limits . I have carried at some Saturday night stock car races and havent considered them "athletic events" . What defines an "athletic event" , or is this another grey area in Florida laws?
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

2. Remove Ads

I couldn't find a specific answer to this one when I took my son to "Monster Jam" a few months ago at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise. I guess it could be considered an athletic event of sorts, so I decided to go unarmed - just in case.

Plus, considering how narrow the seats are (and how wide I am) I don't think I could have carried even if I wanted to. It sounds like a cork popping whenever I get out of those seats as it is.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If your asking would the law define a "monster truck show" as a athletic event,I would say definately not.

But ya just gotta check the laws.------

I would definately consider race car drivers as atheletes, so I would consider an auto race as an athletic event. I don't know about your local Saturday night dirt short track but the guys who race on Sundays (NASCAR) are in better shape than most Baseball players, Tony Stewart excluded. j/k.

Sounds like there are some different opinions to this question. I would suggest not seeking legal advise from others not in the position to give it. No offense to anyone I'm not saying this to offend. Who issued your c.c. permit in your state? In my state (PA) it would be the sheriff of the county I reside in. That is where I would look to get the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sportkcjc View Post
    Sounds like there are some different opinions to this question. I would suggest not seeking legal advise from others not in the position to give it. No offense to anyone I'm not saying this to offend. Who issued your c.c. permit in your state? In my state (PA) it would be the sheriff of the county I reside in. That is where I would look to get the answer.
    Good point, and excellent advice.

In NC we cant enter any place that charges admission.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

This is a great question...I recently went to a smaller event for monster trucks and carried the whole time.

PS.....Did you get your son-to-be-Uncle a ticket?????
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Maybe This Will Help...

Places off-limits while carrying
    Date updated: Jun 13, 2006 @ 10:29 pm

THIS JUST IN - Effective October 1, 2006, Florida State Parks and National Forests in Florida are no longer off limits to concealed carry by permit holders. Effective July 1, 2006, permit holders will be able to carry concealed in Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs).

790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm

Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    any polling place;
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    any school administration building;
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    any elementary or secondary school facility;
    any area vocational-technical center;
    any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    In addition, Section 790.11 prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.

62-D-2.014 of the State Administrative Code: Allows State Parks to restrict the carrying of firearms in all Florida State Parks. Even those with a Valid License to Carry in Florida can not carry in Florida State Parks.

Florida Statute 823.05 defines a place of nuisance as a "place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community...or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated."

I'm not an attorney...but I don't beleive that a 'Monster Truck' event is considered a professional atheletic event...I could be wrong.
    However, I would be more concerned with WHERE the event was being held...on a school's grounds?, on county grounds?, etc.

And as always...concealed IS concealed!

OMO

Always willing to be corrected...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by produman View Post
    This is a great question...I recently went to a smaller event for monster trucks and carried the whole time.

PS.....Did you get your soon-to-be-Uncle a ticket?????
    Ill talk to my brother about an extra ticket . Its on Jan 20th . The event is at Tampa Stadium , Whatever the sponsor name is now .

I dont take legal advice from internet lawyer , No offense , But i just wanted to see what came out of a discussion about it .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    Maybe VA should start charging admission!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

No one should ever know of your concealed weapon at any event unless you get into trouble or danger..Period..

The Florida statute is vague. They should change it. In Michigan, you cannot carry into an "entertainment facility" that seats 2,500 or more people (or that the licensee can reasonably be expected to know seats that many people). Still vague, since no one knows if, for instance, a movie theater that has 100 seats in 30 screening rooms qualifies or not, but still better than Florida's language.

Frankly, I would likely not carry to an event like that. I would be nice to have it from and to the car, but not much use during an incident IN the stadium.

Can you please tell me where you got this information? I have had my CCW for 8 years and have never heard this. Here is a link to the NC State Firearm laws
    http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

It says we cannot carry a weapon where alcohol is consumed, or schools, banks, federal buildings, any place that is posted, and public events such as parades.
    This is pretty general, I suppose a Monster truck event is a public event, but what about the movie theater, I don't consider this an event, but tickets are being sold and I always carry in there. I am not saying your wrong, I just need further clarification on this. If I am breaking the law I would like to know it.
    Thanks
    Take Care
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Unhappy

I know. That is one law that just escapes me. What is the rational?
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links