M&P Shield Pocket Carry?

M&P Shield Pocket Carry?

This is a discussion on M&P Shield Pocket Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any real life experience pocket carrying a M&P Shield 9? Picked one up yesterday and while they were reviewing my info I took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: M&P Shield Pocket Carry?

M&P Shield Pocket Carry?

Anyone have any real life experience pocket carrying a M&P Shield 9? Picked one up yesterday and while they were reviewing my info I took a look at holsters for it and noticed a few pocket holster options but didn't buy. My first thought was that this gun is a tad to big for pocket carry but started thinking today that pocket carry may be the way to go during the scorching hot summer days when I'm wearing cargo shorts and don't want to worry with cover shirts.

What I say you do is this buy a remora iwb/pocket for it and try both see how you like it . I found when I had it it was a tad big unless you had cargo pants on so if you had cargo pants it should be great ...

Pocket holster tend to be cheeper so why not try a few and see what you like and with remora etc you can alwasy use them iwb ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I don't wear clothes with big enough pockets to carry mine like that... but I guess big cargo pants might do it...?

I find my Shield to big to pocket carry.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I think all the folks that say they pocket carry Shields or G26s or the like must have much larger pants than I wear. Or not care if it's real obvious they have a gun in their pocket. The LCP is about as big as I can go and actually comfortably pocket carry.

YMMV
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My pockets aren't large enough for the S&W Shield. No can say.

Have done a Kahr PM9, and in accordion-style "cargo" pockets it seemed to ride quite nicely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have carried mine in cargo pants BUT, not comfortably at all. I found it to be a bit too large and a bit too heavy. It was also obvious that there was something, not keys and such, in my pocket. I found that drawing was never very smooth with either the holster getting pulled or snagging the rear sights or grip a bit.

Agree with Brad426 on the LCP or similar size working just fine.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member
    What Brad said. Guess I buy my clothes in the wrong places, I can't pull it off. That's a big bonus for you OP. Now you can go buy a snubbie for pocket carry and in so doing become a fraternal member of the Wise and Wonderful Brotherhood of the Snub.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    You can fit a Shield in many pockets, but it is too big to get a clean draw in most cases. I do not consider mine a pocket gun.
    3rdegree likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Like others I find the Shield a little to large for pocket carry. That said I did carry my H&K P2000sk in a cargo pants pocket once and no one noticed but I would never do it again.

I pocket carry mine around the house every day in cargo shorts, using a DeSantis Superfly. The extra square flap it comes with covering the outside makes it look like a big rectangle in your pocket, almost like one of those huge Samsung phones. I can cleanly draw once my hand is around my shield's grip.

I haven't carried in public yet, working on my CHP, but I'm never unarmed around the house , and the Superfly has been great practicing draws, never came out. And with the right shorts, I've never had the Shield's sights catch on the way out either.

The Shield is to bulky for pocket carry, but who cares what I think. Whatever works for you. Just keep in mind the purpose of concealing a weapon is to protect your life. If you're comfortable pulling from your waist or pocket, remember to adjust & practice, practice, practice.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I didn't even TRY carrying my Kahr CW9, let alone pocket carry, in my part of Florida where it's shorts and polo shirt weather 10 months of the year. I now carry a Ruger LCP at least those 10 months. The larger guns are open carry on our property of 6+ acres.

Shield in a Tuff Products pocket holster works quite nicely for me.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

I don't have a Shield but can assume it is very similar to the Ruger LC9 that I cannot comfortably pocket carry. It may fit in the pocket but it is too heavy, cumbersome and not as easy to draw as my LCP or LCR.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links