Rotating Chambered Rounds

This is a discussion on Rotating Chambered Rounds within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's an article over on The Gun Zone showing a Glock 22 that blew up because someone tried to fire a round that had been ...

View Poll Results: Do you rotate your chambered ammo?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every round in the mag/box gets chambered

20 15.75%
  • Kind of, I chamber rounds at random

77 60.63%
  • No, I always chamber the same 1 or 2 rounds

30 23.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating Chambered Rounds

There's an article over on The Gun Zone showing a Glock 22 that blew up because someone tried to fire a round that had been chambered too many times. Repeated chambering can push the bullet back into the case, resulting in extremely high pressures. This is a particular problem rounds that have high operating pressures to begin with, like the .40 S&W. A tenth of an inch of set back can double the pressure.

Evidently the security force at Los Alamos National Laboratory charged their weapons by loading a round from a magazine with a single bullet in it, then inserting a fully loaded mag. When they unloaded their weapons, the bullet from the chamber was kept separate and rechambered again next time. The round that blew up the Glock was evidently loaded 45 times before it was fired.

So, how many of you rotate your chambered rounds of carry ammo?

I tend to be pretty anal about this. When a round comes out of the chamber, it gets put aside and replaced with a fresh one. Eventually, once all the ammo in the box has been chambered once, it'll go through a second time, etc. After a couple of rotations, I'll shoot the entire box off at the range and replace it with a fresh one.

Assistant Administrator
    I certainly endorse the need to check - 9mm in particular, as an already high pressure round, is very sensitive to OAL change. .40's too.

I tend on balance to just put aside the chambered round initially but as I am mean over expensive carry ammo - will get to checking with vernier calipers and if OAL is unchanged then the round goes back in the mag - usually lower down.

I have carried GD's now for ages and seems their crimp is good - good enough that I have found very very few ex chambered rounds that have changed at all.

Of course gun type - meaning mostly feed ramp profile perhaps - can be a significant factor as to whether any set back occurs or not - plus ammo make.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I actually do rotate my carry ammo in my G19.
    If I have to unload it then I just put a sharpie dot on the case as a counter. I don't go over three ... but that's not really a big deal anyway since it all gets shot way before every round has been chambered multiple times.

I keep the same round chambered between visits to the range. First mag down range is the carry mag so I guess it is not chambered more than once. The only mag I don't use at the range is the spare carry mag. I then fill one of the empties with carry amo again.
    When I leave the range I use the spare mag and have another round chambered. I load a new spare with carry ammo

Generally speaking, when a round gets chambered in my carry gun it's there until I spend it. I will dump (use up) the mag, switch to cheap ammo, and finish session by loading up with fresh carry ammo.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

When I go to the range I shoot my carry ammo in the gun and usually in my spare mag too. THEN I switch to cheaper practice rounds. I feel better knowing "what would have happened" had I needed to use it that way.

The only times I remember re-chambering a round was when I flew commercially. Other than that I can't think of a reason to re-chamber a round.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    Other than that I can't think of a reason to re-chamber a round.
    How about dry fire practice?

[QUOTE=John Wesley - I can't think of a reason to re-chamber a round.[/QUOTE]

The range I frequent is in a Wildlife Management Area. They require all weapons remain unloaded while being transported to shooting range.
    Therefore, I unload the mag and empty the chamber before going, and when I return home and clean the weapon, I insert the mag, cycle once to load chamber, release mag and top off with round that was previoulsy in chamber. Therefore, the two top rounds of my mags take turns in the chamber. That is until I decide to shoot up the ammo that has been being carried for a while.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

How about dry fire practice?
    That's a good reason. If you have to unload because of the area you are in that is a good reason too!

I kinda rotate CCW guns. When I shoot one at the range I leave it empty. I take it home, clean it, check it, dry fire it a few times... When I'm done I chamber a round and put it in a holster. Then I know it's ready and the chambered cartidge rarely comes out unless it is shot.

When I leave the range, a different gun is used to CCW. I guess this probably isn't typical but once I load the gun and place it in a holster it usually never comes out again until a range trip.

Actually I should probably spend more time dry firing...

Wow. I see a lot of really thinking shooters here.I first started playing the auto shell swapping detective when we as a department went to autos about 86. Just because we were going to new equipment (Allowed to buy our own until about 2001) I knew that there would still be some way to be a lazy donut eater and find a match for those old greenish brass bullets some always seemed to have on thier belts or occasionally found in a gun( You can only skip range day so many times and when it gets to the point of no payday they would show and sorta qualify). Any way I started watching ejected rounds. Duty ammo was routinely saved and put back in duty until I took over range and weapons training. The ammo budget went way up from very low. Life was good and nobody held back on duty ammo anymore. What I did notice was a lot of casings had been loaded many times and the rims looked like stippled jewelry.Bright shiny bites out of the casing.Sometimes a cease fire was called for a FTE they called jams. The point I would like to make is most of those pieces or bites of brass went somewhere. Tiny brass gremlins were to blame for a lot of FTF FTE and mags that just didnt seem to fit or drop clean. Arguing with old salts about cleaning a gun that "Does not need cleaning Ive never shot it since last time". caused a lot of attitudes about jamamatics.Its funny to see all the attention to detail for interested shooters compared to some of the dinosaurs of of the revolver packers who really didnt want to change.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Wow, I never considered it. Thanks for bringing it up. Well you know what that means, time to bust out the caliper and take a reading.

I take the P95 approach.

I practice with my CCW and HD guns frequently and really don't want to send a Bonded Golden Saber down range every time I shoot.

I re-chamber the same round over and over. I mark my "chambered" rounds with a marker on the primer and I periodically measure them with vernier calipers to verify OAL.

So far in close to 20 chamberings, with my current batch of REM Golden Sabers, the chambered round has shrunk .002". A couple more .001s and it's headed down range.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Everytime have to rechamber i rotate a round

Same As Bud...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Everytime have to rechamber i rotate a round
    Ditto...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Anytime I shoot, switch my carry gun, or if I don't shoot or switch guns for an extended period (which is rare) I rotate the ammo.
    So, kind of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links