CANADA: Vancouver woman applies for Type 3 ATC

This is a discussion on CANADA: Vancouver woman applies for Type 3 ATC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thumbs up Firearms advocate sticks to her guns [Van Sun] PUBLICATION: Vancouver Sun DATE: 2006.12.19 EDITION: Final SECTION: News PAGE: A1 / Front BYLINE: Janet ...

Thread: CANADA: Vancouver woman applies for Type 3 ATC

CANADA: Vancouver woman applies for Type 3 ATC

Thumbs up Firearms advocate sticks to her guns [Van Sun]
    PUBLICATION: Vancouver Sun
    DATE: 2006.12.19
    EDITION: Final
    SECTION: News
    PAGE: A1 / Front
    BYLINE: Janet Steffenhagen
    SOURCE: Vancouver Sun
    ILLUSTRATION: Colour Photo: Sharon Gregson's photo on the cover of the
    Canadian Firearms Journal. The Vancouver school trustee has written an
    article entitled 'A Woman with a .45.'; Photo: Canadian Firearms Journal
    / Sharon Gregson also claims to be the most-tattooed elected official in
    Canada.
    WORD COUNT: 605

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------

Firearms advocate sticks to her guns: 'Firearms are a healthy part of
    society,' says pistol-packin' Vancouver school trustee

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------

The attractive woman posing with a .45-calibre Colt on the front of the
    Canadian Firearms Journal this month is not your typical gun defender.
    Nor is she your average public school board trustee.

But Sharon Gregson is all that and more. She's a long-time New Democrat,
    a mother of four and an advocate of publicly funded daycare who recently
    found her voice as a firearms champion. She admits it is an odd
    combination, especially since she was afraid of guns until three years
    ago when she received one as a gift.

"Before that I had been quite anti-gun," she said in an interview. "It
    is kind of weird for somebody on the left to be enthusiastic about a gun
    sport but, nevertheless, that's what I do and that's who I am.

"I am very committed to my social justice principles. I wish that as
    Canadians we had spent the money that we spent on the gun registry on a
    national child-care program, because that would have created a far
    healthier society than we are now."

Her Vancouver outing as a gun enthusiast occurred Monday when she was
    interviewed on a radio program talking about her competitive shooting,
    her three firearms and her recent application for a U.S. permit to carry
    a concealed weapon when visiting the U.S.

The response was overwhelming. "It was huge. Much, much, much, much
    bigger than I would ever -- in a million years -- have guessed," she
    said later. "People are incredibly curious about why I'm interested in
    guns and the fact that I'm an elected person and a mother and a
    child-care advocate."

She also claims to be the most tattooed elected official in Canada,
    although there's been no national show-and-tell as yet.

The Vancouver school trustee said she is speaking publicly about gun
    ownership to encourage a reasonable discussion in Canada with decisions
    based on research rather than emotion.

"By speaking out as a legal gun owner who is concerned all the time
    about safe storage, safe transport and safe handling of firearms, and
    who enjoys firearms as a sport and as a collector, I think I'm putting
    forward another part of the discussion and another perspective."

Her interest in guns blossomed in 2003 after her partner, Thomas
    Lockhart, a competitive shooter, gave her the Colt .45.

She bought a membership at a shooting range, began to practise and was
    soon competing with IPSC, the International Practical Shooting
    Confederation.

"There's a huge amount of skill involved in shooting successfully and I
    don't think that's recognized often enough," she said. "Some people like
    golfing, some people like hockey, I like shooting."

Gregson has also offered her support to a National Firearms Association
    campaign promoting the rights of women to carry concealed firearms for
    protection. She has applied for a permit in Utah to carry a concealed
    weapon in the U.S. and expects to receive it soon.

Utah is one of only a few states that grants such licences to Canadians,
    and Gregson said it was "prudent" to take advantage of that opportunity,
    especially given that gun laws change frequently.

Asked if she wants to carry a concealed weapon in Canada, she replied
    that while the situation is different here than in the U.S., there have
    been times when she would have been safer if she had been carrying a
    gun.

The response to her radio interview Monday was mixed, she said. Some
    people were pleased she had broadened a debate while others said Canada
    should ban firearms altogether. As of mid-afternoon, there had been no
    word from the Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE), under whose
    banner she was elected to school board.

"I think most of my colleagues will be surprised that I'm a gun
    enthusiast," said the former president of the NDP riding association in
    Vancouver-Hastings.

"I think my fellow trustees might be looking at me a little differently
    at the meeting tonight -- wondering what other hidden interests I have."

jsteffenhagen@png.canwest.com

- - -

This story can be heard online after 10:30 a.m. today at
    www.vancouversun.com/readaloud.

THIS IS STARTING TO GET INTERESTING!!!
    This story broke on CGN yesterday, (2006-Dec-18, Mon), and went to about 9 pages almost instantly.
    I posted a reply, and mentioned this site, so CC may get a bunch more CGN'ers soon. Another news report follows.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Some people like
    golfing, some people like hockey, I like shooting."
    Excellent! Thanks for posting this, Pyro...
    Sounds like she reacted the proper way to a gifted Colt...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...gun-women.html

Gun group wants women to fight for permits
    Vancouver school trustee featured in campaign for right to carry concealed guns
    Last Updated: Monday, December 18, 2006 | 8:43 AM PT

A national firearms lobby group is urging Canadian women to obtain concealed gun permits in the United States and then use those permits to seek the same right in Canada, in order to protect themselves and reduce crime.

"Women will be able to protect human life from criminal violence," David Tomlinson, president of the National Firearms Association, told CBC.ca in an interview on Monday.

Canadian law does have a provision for certain individuals to carry a gun, Tomlinson noted. "But if a woman applies for one she is absolutely guaranteed that she will be refused one regardless of the circumstance," he said.

"What we want to see happen is a sorting out of the unholy mess that government has made of law in this area," Tomlinson said from his office in Edmonton.

"The problem with gun control is that it has no effect on violent criminals," he said.
    Vancouver NDP activist the face of the campaign

Vancouver school trustee Sharon Gregson posed with her handgun on the cover of the latest issue of the Canadian Firearms Journal, as part of the campaign for concealed weapon permits.

The NDP activist told CBC News she has qualified for a concealed firearm carry permit in Utah — a permit that's valid in 30 U.S. states. However, the permit is not valid in Canada and Gregson wants the law changed.

"I have sent the prime minister an e-mail to say that I find it curious that, as a woman, I'd be allowed as a visitor into the United States, I'd be allowed to carry a weapon — a concealed firearm to protect myself and my children — but that I don't have that same right in Canada," she said.

Aim is to deter criminals, group says

Sheldon Clare, president of the NFA in British Columbia, told CBC News his group believes that arming even a few women in Canada will deter assailants.

Allowing women to carry guns, he said, will send a message to would-be criminals that "what they might perceive as formerly defenceless women … might now not be so easy of a target."

Gregson also noted that she might be the only school trustee in Vancouver with a gun.

"I'd put money on it," she said. "There aren't a lot of people on the left who are pro gun. Put it that way."

Currently in Canada a federal handgun registry remains in place, as do bans on automatic and assault weapons.

However, Stephen Harper's Conservative government has introduced legislation to abolish the long-gun registry.

Last June, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day introduced a bill to amend the Criminal Code and Firearms Act so that owners of non-restricted rifles and shotguns will not have to register their weapons.

B.C. trustee won't conceal her love of guns - globe and mail
    B.C. trustee won't conceal her love of guns
    Vancouver mother wants relaxation of handgun laws, but colleagues want her to stop shooting off her mouth

JANE ARMSTRONG

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

VANCOUVER — Vancouver school board trustee Sharon Gregson loves to shoot her Colt .45 handgun.

She's posed with her prized weapon on the cover of a national magazine and even went to the United States to obtain a concealed handgun permit, which is good in 30 states.

She thinks Canadians need to broaden their thinking about handgun ownership.

"There is a thinking that guns can only be bad and related to crime, and that's not my experience as a legal gun owner, participating in a gun sport," Ms. Gregson said, explaining why she decided to get a handgun permit in Utah.

Recently, Ms. Gregson sent an e-mail to Prime Minister Stephen Harper urging him to relax handgun restrictions.

"One of the frustrations with being a gun owner [in Canada] is that the rules keep changing and so it seemed prudent to apply for this licence while it was available to me."

But some of Ms. Gregson's colleagues have urged the trustee, a married mother of four, to stop shooting her mouth off.

Trustee Clarence Hanson said her comments send the wrong message to kids.

"I was quite shocked," Mr. Hanson said after he heard Ms. Gregson on a morning radio program yesterday, in which she argued in favour of easier access for permits to carry a concealed gun, especially for women who feel threatened.

"As a school trustee, my concern is basically, we have a number of children . . . who sometimes feel harassed and bullied.

"I don't want them to get the impression that this is the way to protect yourself," Mr. Hanson said.

"If they get a feeling that a school trustee who represents them thinks it's okay to protect yourself in this way, . . . we're going down a dangerous road, I think."

But Ms. Gregson said she won't retract her comments and invited Canadians to start a national discussion about gun ownership, safety and crime rates.

Ms. Gregson said she appeared on the cover of the National Firearms Journal to lend her support to its campaign to loosen Canadian restrictions on carrying handguns.

Currently in Canada, only target shooters and collectors can get a permit to buy a handgun.

And rules for transporting the weapon are restricted to taking it back and forth to a gun club or gunsmith.

"I think that there should at least be more discussion about the issue surrounding guns in Canada," she said.

"Right now in Canada, you can't own a handgun for the sole issue of self-defence. You can have it for target shooting and for collection.

"I don't think it's appropriate to say we shouldn't even discuss protection issues and safety issues."

Ms. Gregson became interested in guns after she received the handgun as a gift.

At a shooting range in the suburban Vancouver municipality of Maple Ridge, she began competing in International Practical Shooting Confederation tournaments in which shooters complete an obstacle course while firing at targets.

"You know, some people like bowling, some people like knitting. I like shooting," Ms. Gregson said.

"The people who are very good are absolutely amazing to watch. It's completely entertaining and their skill level is just so impressive."

Ms. Gregson said she did not mean to suggest that kids in the school system be urged to carry guns.

However, she did suggest that the outcome of the Montreal massacre might have been different if any one of Marc Lepine's 14 female victims had been carrying a weapon.

"I've heard some people say if one of those women had been armed, [Mr. Lepine] might not have been able to commit such a horrendous crime if they weren't all completely defenceless against that onslaught," Ms. Gregson said.

"But in no way have I ever suggested this has anything to do with kids carrying guns to protect themselves."

However, Mr. Hanson said he wants to talk to Ms. Gregson about her comments.

"I think when we become a school trustee, you've raised the bar a little bit for yourself. So you have to help set an example out there."

The head of the Canada's main gun-control lobby denounced Ms. Gregson's comments as well as the National Firearms Association campaign that is trying to make it easier for women to carry handguns.

"If arming to self-protect worked, the U.S. would be safe and it's not," Wendy Cukier said in a telephone interview.

"It's an absurd comment. It's completely contrary to Canadian traditions. It has no basis in fact, and for someone who is associated with schools to be making those comments is particularly alarming, especially a woman."

The Edmonton-based National Firearms Association, which is spearheading the permit campaign, has argued that women can better protect themselves from personal attack and reduce crime if they are permitted to carry handguns.

"It's about safety," said the association's president, Dave Tomlinson.

"Most women feel relatively helpless. They regard themselves as not having any practical way to defend themselves.

"Police protection is a myth. Police only come after the crime has been committed."

Ms. Sharon Gregson has joined CanadianGunNutz this morning (2006-Dec-19, tues). I let her know of this site also, so she may join up here too.
    Pyro

Lead Moderator
    Good for her. Good to put firearms in a positive light and maybe get some media attention for our northern neighbors
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is a very significant event up here. Firearms legislation has been in the spotlight since the last election, but the focus has been almost entirely on further restrictions, more gun bans, etc.

Although firearms groups have brought up the benifits of CCW in the past, this is the first time it's been really examined by the mainstream media as anything other than a right-wing pipe dream.

Introducing CCW as a 'womens rights' issue, with an otherwise left-wing politician as our initial spokesperson has changed the equation. I really hope this story has legs and that it stimulates some real discussion on the issue.
    -Mike T

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men"
    - Plato

Utah permit good choice for Vancouver resident

The province of British Columbia and the city of Vancouver are directly adjacent to the US state of Washington. The Utah CCW permit is valid in Washington, making it especially useful to a BC traveler. The Utah permit is also valid in the states of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota, all of which border western Canada.

I can see why she picked Utah.

Wow...

A Canadian with some 'big ones'...figuratively speaking, of course...
    Maybe this will bolster some positive debate 'Up North'...

Personally, I quit going into Canada because of the way I was treated at the border...long story...(never wear NRA patches or decals when entering Canada!)...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ms Gregson, I love you! You go girl!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The province of British Columbia and the city of Vancouver are directly adjacent to the US state of Washington. The Utah CCW permit is valid in Washington, making it especially useful to a BC traveler. The Utah permit is also valid in the states of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota, all of which border western Canada.

I can see why she picked Utah.
    There is an American guy by the name of James Cameron, who is delivering seminars across Canada, for canucks that want to get a CCW.
    He has been doing this for a year or so now, and around 2000 Canadians now have a UT permit.
    The irony, of course, is that a foreign government (that would be you guys!) trust us more than our own government does.

http://www.silverdalesports.ca/index...d=15&Itemid=36

"The problem with gun control is that it has no effect on violent criminals,"

Thats right!
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    "The problem with gun control is that it has no effect on violent criminals,"

Thats right!
    Yep, but it doesn't get you the votes... I'm sure the NDP will rotate this woman into a desk position somewhere where they can hide her out of the spotlight... they are quite good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    There is an American guy by the name of James Cameron, who is delivering seminars across Canada, for canucks that want to get a CCW.
    He has been doing this for a year or so now, and around 2000 Canadians now have a UT permit.
    The irony, of course, is that a foreign government (that would be you guys!) trust us more than our own government does.

http://www.silverdalesports.ca/index...d=15&Itemid=36
    Yep, my uncle wants me to sponsor his immigration to the US once I get my citizenship here in the US.

MD

Links