Military Bases

This is a discussion on Military Bases within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where might I find info on CCW and military bases. We are driving to Pensacola, Fl in January for OCS graduation. We will possibly stay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Bases

Military Bases

Where might I find info on CCW and military bases. We are driving to Pensacola, Fl in January for OCS graduation. We will possibly stay at the Navy Lodge, or if it is illegal to even have the gun with me on base maybe stay at a hotel off base. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They are Federal installations. You MAY NOT carry an gun or weapon onto a military installation. If caught there are some stiff penalties. I work on military bases regularly and in the US have only been on one base where I was not searched. It was called an Annex and they only spot searched.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    That's amazing. There's a privately owned weapons range on Ft Carson. I guess it never gets used.

Perhaps a better answer is that you should call the MP station of any installation you plan on visiting and ask what is the commander's policy.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Found my answer

Possession of concealed weapons aboard Naval Air Station Pensacola is prohibited under Federal Law. Violators will be arrested and weapons confiscated. If you are traveling, we suggest you check with your hotel for safe deposit boxes or consider utilizing a temporary storage facility until you complete your visit. Naval personnel cannot accept weapons for safekeeping. Thank you for the help. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

VIP Member
    The range at Carson is probably like the ranges I am familiar with at Lewis, Polk, and Benning. Soldiers who own POWs and store them in accordance with post regs can shoot there, other people with legitimate access to the base (retirees, reserve component members, et cetera) can shoot there, and the like. The rules, as they were explained to me, is that you may NOT carry concealed, at any time, for any reason, but that you may bring a weapon onto post for specific purposes (such as hunting or using the range) if you jump through the appropriate hoops. This may have changed post 9/11 – I haven’t been to the “civilian” range at post since before then.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

You will be arrested and your weapon confiscated if you bring one on base. Steve48

VIP Member
    Sorry I was replying in context of a civilian taking a handgun to Navy housing.

Yes, there are shooting ranges on military bases that are open to civilians even (Quantico comes to mind). They must comply with the rules and regulations to access those ranges, and no base that I am aware of will allow a civilian non-LEO to carry concealed on the base or to have a gun in a base guest house.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZZZ View Post
    Where might I find info on CCW and military bases. We are driving to Pensacola, Fl in January for OCS graduation. We will possibly stay at the Navy Lodge, or if it is illegal to even have the gun with me on base maybe stay at a hotel off base. Mike Z
    The best thing to do is to call ahead and ask. You'll get varied opinions here.

When I travel, I will often stay at Navy Lodges and Air Force Inns. In every case, signage at the gate is clear, no weapons beyond that point. On the one trip where I was carrying, the two installations I visited stored my handgun in their armory until I left the next day. I can't assure that all installations will offer that to travelers, so check ahead.

So, call ahead so there are no surprises when you arrive.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I retired a couple years ago and still work on post (Ft Leavenworth) as a contractor.

Concealed carry on the installation is forbidden, but if you coordinate ahead of time, you may be able to transport your unloaded and cased weapons on the base. It really depends on what the installation commander has set up and it varies from post to post.

Usually if you have a legitimate reason, you can register your weapons for the post, then you’re Ok as long as they are transported unloaded and secure.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I retired a couple years ago and still work on post (Ft Leavenworth) as a contractor.

Concealed carry on the installation is forbidden, but if you coordinate ahead of time, you may be able to transport your unloaded and cased weapons on the base. It really depends on what the installation commander has set up and it varies from post to post.

Usually if you have a legitimate reason, you can register your weapons for the post, then you’re Ok as long as they are transported unloaded and secure.

Chuck
    This is only available for people who are stationed there or work there full-time right? I am constantly going to different installations and so far none are accomodating of any request. When I drive I would like to bring my pistol for carry on the trip etc. but since I check out of the hotel before I go to the base on the last day I would have to bring my gun on base.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Each installation is going to have different rules.
    I'd contact someone listed on http://www.naspensacola.navy.mil/ind.../security.home. They should have the right info.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    This is only available for people who are stationed there or work there full-time right?
    Scott,

Again, it depends on the post. I've got "most" of my guns registered on post, but I do work there. We have civilians that utilize our skeet/trap club and they have no problem registering to get their guns on.

I have several of my guns registered on Ft. Riley as I cruise down there to hunt. Maybe it's different because I'm retired, but FT. Riley has a whole lot of civilian hunters on it.

Unfortunately, the post commanders have a lot of latitude, in some cases too much latitude, so we get some goofy rules depending on the post. It's a case by case deal really.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Scott,

Again, it depends on the post. I've got "most" of my guns registered on post, but I do work there. We have civilians that utilize our skeet/trap club and they have no problem registering to get their guns on.

I have several of my guns registered on Ft. Riley as I cruise down there to hunt. Maybe it's different because I'm retired, but FT. Riley has a whole lot of civilian hunters on it.

Unfortunately, the post commanders have a lot of latitude, in some cases too much latitude, so we get some goofy rules depending on the post. It's a case by case deal really.

Chuck

I'm going to continue the hijack since I believe the OP's question was answered a few posts ago.

The issues I seem to have other than not being LEO, Active, Reserve or National Guard are: not a resident of the state where the base is, not hunting and not a member of the base shooting club. Also no retired ID card, I did six years and got out. I was only asked about retired status at Bragg, so maybe they have something for retirees.

Several installations in VA allow civilian hunting and a few have civilian shooting allowed on certain ranges. Most require a special course and permit to hunt on the base. Quantico has the 1000 yd club with a very limited membership but it is open to civilians.

Ah well. Maybe someday, but unlikely in my lifetime.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    They are Federal installations. You MAY NOT carry an gun or weapon onto a military installation. If caught there are some stiff penalties. I work on military bases regularly and in the US have only been on one base where I was not searched. It was called an Annex and they only spot searched.
    Now wait just a cotton pickin minute! That isn't true in all cases. I regularly cut through Camp LeJeune in NC on my way down to my beach house below Willmington. There is an extension of a state highway (172) that cuts directly through an artillery range on base, and when it is not active you can drive through to the other side of the base. It cuts about 30 minutes off of the drive.

I have driven through with shotguns and an AR-15 clearly visible in the gunrack of my truck, in addition to a pistol in a shoulder holster (also clearly visible). I stop at the gate, say hello to the guard, they ask if I am going straight through, I say yes and I get waved right through. No problem at all, no third degree. If you don't stop on base you are OK, but even stopping for emergencies is OK while armed. I had to stop with a flat once and six of America's finest stopped and changed the old chief's tire.

I am not saying this is true on all bases, but I know the treatment I get at LeJeune. I have never had a problem there.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I have to agree with most of the posts here. It depends on the installation and how they treat POW. I have my P11 and P3AT registered with the provost marshall here and I can keep it in the glove box no problem. Can't speak for the othr services but the Army posts that I have been stationed at pretty much have the same rules. We have open ranges here for military members on the weekends. call ahead is the best bet
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links