Defensive Carry banner

Got my permit today too!

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  foreveryoung001 
#1 ·
Had the gun board meeting this morning at 9am. It started out with all of us sitting on a bench outside the room, like we were waiting to talk to the school principal or something. We were called in one by one. They told us it would be alphabetical, but the first guy they called in had a last name that started with "W". He was denied because of a hunting violation he had this year, and we could hear him raising his voice to the board, and my first thought was, "Geez dude! Don't get 'em in a bad mood for the rest of us!!"

Once I was called in, they asked a couple of "what if's" and handed me my permit!:danceban:

Headed right up to Jay's (our local sporting good's shop) with my buddy who recieved his too, so he could pick up a couple of things.

First experience: very similar to a lot of others. I felt like a lot of people were looking at me weird, but I know it was my imagination. In fact, most of the guys I know at the store carry, so I really didn't feel out of place.

Big test will be this afternoon when I head to Wally World after work... I may even get up there for lunch... MMMMMMMM Nachos!

I'll post the experience after.

See less See more
#5 ·
So a hunting violation is a felony? Again--this whole board thing makes me itch....what if you had a speeding ticket?

#8 ·
I ended up getting a little more of the story when I ran into the sheriff at lunch.

It was actually a carry violation while he was hunting. He wouldn't go into details, but I guess the guy got caught carrying concealed before he had his permit. Sheriff said, "he'll end up getting it, but he had to take care of a couple of things first."

At that point, I didn't really care. The sheriff shook my hand, said don't worry about it, you got yours no problem, and that was that.

I know Michigan is a "shall issue" state, but I'd hate to think that me friends with the sheriff had anything to do with it.

#7 ·
Congrats, avoid trouble and be safe!

Best recommendation is use a repeatable process on handling the carry gun. This included holstering, adding the holster to the belt and clearing the weapon.

#10 ·
Congrats...

on the new permit...

Go easy on the nachos...don't want an AD in the shorts...:rofl:

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret

#11 ·
Wally World!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the trip to Walmart was pretty uneventful. After my trip to Jay's, Walmart was pretty easy. Walked through the store, got a call from my wife before I got there, so I actually had to do some shopping.

After I pciked up and paid for my stuff, my friend (who just got his CPL today too) and I stopped at the Wally world subway. our meals consisted of nachos, giant pretzels, and frozen cokes (mmmmm healthy!)

Ran into a bunch of people I knew, and generally had a very nice time.

I did notice, that right away, I was certainly more aware of people around me. I've been trying to practice situational awareness, but it certainly took on a whole new meaning today.

thanks for everyone's support, and thanks to the mods for a great forum where I have already learned a bunch, and have been able to share what little I know.

#13 ·
Nice going. You got your permit cause you are not a felon and a upstanding citizen who passed his CCW class.
If ya want to get together to go shooting , let me know.

#18 ·
Congratulations!

#20 ·
It's the board's duty to review the application, references, medical records, etc.... and they determine if an applicant is eligable. If he/she is, then they "shall issue".

No more needing a "good" reason to carry.

In some counties, the gun board just meets alone, and then give you call, and in some, including mine, they still like to meet with all the applicants.

The questions were as simple as, "You answered a series of questions on your application, has anything changed since that time?"
me: "No sir"
Board:"Could you give me a thumbnail sketch of what you learned during your CCW class?"
Me: "Most of the class consisted of basic gun safety, and legal issues surrounding concealed carry"

A couple of what if questions, then the DA rep. asks the board, "Does anyone see any reason why we should NOT issue the permit?"

The state police rep was trying to keep himself awake through the whole thing... the sheriff and I were joking around a little through the whole thing (it was his birthday), sign the thing, and out the door. It took less than 10 minutes, and that was that.

These guys wanted to get it over with as fast as I did.

#23 ·
Welcome to the club of free men.
.....AND WOMEN!!!:slap:

Welcome to the ranks!:hand10: Stay safe, carry always, condition yellow and locked & loaded!:smiley2:

#27 ·
Hey CSI, Welcome to the board!

Yeah, I was nerveous.... and then when they called in the first guy to deny him... well, he raised his voice, the board all raised their voices... I'm sitting in the hall wondering what the heck I had just gotten myself in to....:confused:

There was one other guy in front of me, and he was in and out in a couple of minutes, had his permit, and then the sheriff came to get me. I know him pretty well, and he started joking around with me right off the bat, and that's when I finally started to relax.

all in all it wasn't bad at all, and the best part was when I got to mess with some of the other guys that were waiting. As I walked out, I asked the sheriff to play along with me, so I could play a joke on my buddy and co-worker who took the class with me. It only lasted a second, because our sheriff is just a great fun-loving guy who can't keep a straight face, but for a second there, I saw a look of complete fear on my friend's face face.:rofl:

If every board went like mine, then it wouldn't be a big deal for anyone.

#26 ·
Congratulations on getting your permit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.