Got my permit today too!

This is a discussion on Got my permit today too! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had the gun board meeting this morning at 9am. It started out with all of us sitting on a bench outside the room, like we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my permit today too!

Got my permit today too!

Had the gun board meeting this morning at 9am. It started out with all of us sitting on a bench outside the room, like we were waiting to talk to the school principal or something. We were called in one by one. They told us it would be alphabetical, but the first guy they called in had a last name that started with "W". He was denied because of a hunting violation he had this year, and we could hear him raising his voice to the board, and my first thought was, "Geez dude! Don't get 'em in a bad mood for the rest of us!!"

Once I was called in, they asked a couple of "what if's" and handed me my permit!

Headed right up to Jay's (our local sporting good's shop) with my buddy who recieved his too, so he could pick up a couple of things.

First experience: very similar to a lot of others. I felt like a lot of people were looking at me weird, but I know it was my imagination. In fact, most of the guys I know at the store carry, so I really didn't feel out of place.

Big test will be this afternoon when I head to Wally World after work... I may even get up there for lunch... MMMMMMMM Nachos!

I'll post the experience after.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    be safe out there... congrats

Administrator
    Those doggone W W Nachos...much more dangerous than any handgun.
    Twice as deadly in my humble opinion.

Congratulations...welcome to the world of the CombatCarry Elite.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Congratulations!...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

So a hunting violation is a felony? Again--this whole board thing makes me itch....what if you had a speeding ticket?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Although it sucks you had to sit before a "board", I'm glad it went well for you. Congratulations! Welcome to the growing (but not fast or wide enough) list of permit holders. Be smart and be safe.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Congrats, avoid trouble and be safe!

Best recommendation is use a repeatable process on handling the carry gun. This included holstering, adding the holster to the belt and clearing the weapon.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So a hunting violation is a felony? Again--this whole board thing makes me itch....what if you had a speeding ticket?
    I ended up getting a little more of the story when I ran into the sheriff at lunch.

It was actually a carry violation while he was hunting. He wouldn't go into details, but I guess the guy got caught carrying concealed before he had his permit. Sheriff said, "he'll end up getting it, but he had to take care of a couple of things first."

At that point, I didn't really care. The sheriff shook my hand, said don't worry about it, you got yours no problem, and that was that.

I know Michigan is a "shall issue" state, but I'd hate to think that me friends with the sheriff had anything to do with it.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Cool congrats!

Congrats...

on the new permit...

Go easy on the nachos...don't want an AD in the shorts...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wally World!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the trip to Walmart was pretty uneventful. After my trip to Jay's, Walmart was pretty easy. Walked through the store, got a call from my wife before I got there, so I actually had to do some shopping.

After I pciked up and paid for my stuff, my friend (who just got his CPL today too) and I stopped at the Wally world subway. our meals consisted of nachos, giant pretzels, and frozen cokes (mmmmm healthy!)

Ran into a bunch of people I knew, and generally had a very nice time.

I did notice, that right away, I was certainly more aware of people around me. I've been trying to practice situational awareness, but it certainly took on a whole new meaning today.

thanks for everyone's support, and thanks to the mods for a great forum where I have already learned a bunch, and have been able to share what little I know.

Congrats bra! Stay low, watch your back!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Lead Moderator
    Nice going. You got your permit cause you are not a felon and a upstanding citizen who passed his CCW class.
    If ya want to get together to go shooting , let me know.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Congrats from Ky. I'm sure butterflies were flying in the ol tummy before you went into the board. Glad it went well for ya....You passed the Wally World test..Hope the Nachos pass ok.....

Can't imagine having to meet with a board of gun controllers. Way to go! Congratulations and good luck with your carrying!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links