Buying Gift Cards hand problem

This is a discussion on Buying Gift Cards hand problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well had to get gift cards for my employee's today. The problem is most places I found out today only sell their gift cards in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Gift Cards hand problem

Well had to get gift cards for my employee's today. The problem is most places I found out today only sell their gift cards in the bar of the restaurant. Here in FL you can go into a place like Olive Garden and eat but you can not sit in the bar area. So now I have to go back to my car take off my gun and go back to the bar to buy the gift cards. I made 4 different stops today and two of them I had to do this at. Red Lobster and Olive Garden. Question is do I bother to write these places or just let it go....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

VIP Member
    I think you need to contact your legislator instead of the restaurant.

In Virginia, we have one of the dumbest laws with regard to a restaurant/bar carry.

First off, in Va. you can't have just a bar. The establishment MUST serve food as well. Second, if you have a firearm in a restaurant that serves booze, you have to carry OPENLY, NOT CONCEALED (even with a concealed permit).......HUH? What kind of sense does that make?

So if you go into say......an Applebee's, which does have a bar, with your family & kids......you have to carry openly. That leaves you open to a tactical disadvantage, as well as the ability of other patrons or employees to freak out & complain. Next thing you know, you're kicked to the curb for trying to protect you & your's. There was a recent episode here, where police were called to a restaurant where several guys were carrying openly LEGALLY.

We're working hard to get rid of this STUPIDITY, but so far no luck, we've come close though.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

You other option is to carry concealed. In Michigan, for instance, carrying in a gun free zone as defined in the CPL statutes is a civil infraction (for your first infraction, at least). This means you are not committing a crime, per se. I could get a ticket, and risk the gun board going medival on my @55, but not a big risk, especially if I was only going in the establishment for 3 minutes.

Not advocating the breaking of laws, just pointing out your options.

I would, however, consider contact the state. I understand why people should not be allowed to drink and carry but be in a bar and carry when you are only drinking Coke? Violated common sense to restrict that.

I would, however, consider contact the state. I understand why people should not be allowed to drink and carry but be in a bar and carry when you are only drinking Coke? Violated common sense to restrict that.[/QUOTE]

Here is the funny thing, you can drink and carry in the state of FL. But I can not sit in the area that has a bar or go up to said bar. It is very clear on that in the laws here. I don't think I would be arrested if caught, but it poses a funny question.

The other thing is we do not have the option of open caryy in FL.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I Live In Florida...

And when we go out to eat, I'm armed and I stay away from the bar section...

Now if I had to walk to the bar to buy a gift card?...for an 'in & out...concealed means concealed...
    First of all, you're not sitting in the bar, just passing through...it won't be a problem!

'Me thinks'...you worry too much!

OMO...your opinion may vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I would select somewhere else to get gift cards from . If for whateaver reason they dont or cant accomidate my ccw then they dont or cant accomidate my money either .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Here, we are not allowed to carry into an establishment that sells Alcohol for on premisses consumption at all! Not at all.
    Last edited by cphilip; December 22nd, 2006 at 01:02 AM.

Go with the VISA gift card instead... you can pick them up at any bank.......

Oh wait!

In some states (Like Michigan) you can't carry in the banks either......

Okay.... Time to be a scrooge.

Bah Humbug!
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Lead Moderator
    foreveryoung001 , Banks in MI are not pistol free zones. unless I missed some statute , banks are o.k. to carry in. (drive thru for me anyway)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    foreveryoung001 , Banks in MI are not pistol free zones. unless I missed some statute , banks are o.k. to carry in. (drive thru for me anyway)

Sorry Rocky, I misread the law.

The legislature passed a law that states that a person cannot possess a firearm in certain places including courts, banks, hospitals, etc. (MCL 750.234d). However, that law exempts CPL holders, police officers, and security guards from its provisions.

my mistake....

Does that mean I have to give up being Scrooge?
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I Louisiana you can go in the bar area if it is operating under the restaurant alcohol license. The easy way to tell is if you must be 18 to enter that section then you can't go.

I would stick with the American Express or Visa gift cards. That way people can use it for anything. I know you can order them from the amex website and they just ship them to your door.

yes & no

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First of all, you're not sitting in the bar, just passing through...it won't be a problem!

'Me thinks'...you worry too much!

OMO...your opinion may vary!

ret
    I agree that it is a "me thinks you worry to much". I have frequently just passed through bar area. However (IMHO), As this has been freq. discussed in numerous pro-gun settings (including with Attorneys with Fla. Gun Law interests); even passing through is a violation. STUPID AREA OF THE LAW... YEP . A REAL NEED TO WORRY, UNABLE TO SEE HOW YOU WOULD BE FOUND OUT. Just smile as you walk through and don't drop yer gun on the bar floor .
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

I have never heard politicians accused of having good sense.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    I have never heard politicians accused of having good sense.

Sure you have..... they're usually the one's who lose by a landslide.... most voters don't want to be confused by the facts.
    Last edited by foreveryoung001; December 22nd, 2006 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Thank God for Texas and its 51% law !
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links