Car Broken into

Car Broken into

This is a discussion on Car Broken into within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have one of those inexpensive car vaults (Bulldog) that cables to the seat. Someone broke into my car, tossed everything, took the change, left ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Car Broken into

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Car Broken into

I have one of those inexpensive car vaults (Bulldog) that cables to the seat. Someone broke into my car, tossed everything, took the change, left a Bosch laser measuring tool, a 6 cell Maglight, and a 3 million candle power spotlight, and tried like hell to get into that vault with what looks like just a screwdriver. If they had picked it up they would have realized it was empty, and aside from bending the latch cover off, and deforming it a little, it still works. You could clip the cable with tin snips. I only have it if I need to go somewhere where you can't carry, and I certainly don't store a gun there. Thieves are generally stupid. The cops came and dusted for prints, but it's so cold the perp almost certainly wore gloves and they didn't even get a partial...

I'm not sure there is any lesson here other than don't store your piece in the car...as if that needed saying...
    Kavalander, baren, SIXTO and 6 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

how'd they get in? break a window?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Yeah have had that happen before kids steal change , now i lock cars in driveway .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My vehicles are always locked. It's a habit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You can't leave stuff out anymore.
    Except for dog crap, which you can box up, gift-wrap and leave at the end of the driveway. Honest to God it works every time.

VIP Member
    I agree with not leaving it in a vehicle other than @ work; my vehicle is in a gated locked environment. At home, no leave in car.
    I also have one of those inexpensive cable safes for the very same purpose.
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I don't know. The windows weren't broken. The cops didn't know either, but said they thought they had something electronic that was opening the doors, because everyone of the owners swears they were locked. I thought my car was locked, but I wouldn't swear to it. They hit eight cars one block to the north, and six on my street. The cops said that they did get a gun out of one of the cars. I live in a fairly urban neighborhood, but this is the first time in more than 8 years something like this has happened. It can happen anywhere, but this didn't seem like kids, because they only took money, and the cop said they were deffinately looking for vaults and guns. He thinks they started to break into mine, and then stopped when they realized it was empty.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    You can't leave stuff out anymore.
    Except for dog crap, which you can box up, gift-wrap and leave at the end of the driveway. Honest to God it works every time.
    There is actually a church out there that recycles dog poo.
    Ship it to:
    Westboro Baptist Church
    Attn: Fred Phelps
    3701 SW 12th St
    Topeka, KS 66604

I guess you learned, first hand, that thieves are everywhere. I'm SURE they thought "if there's one gun around, maybe there's others in the area" BEST thing is, your gun WASN'T in the vehicle. I think if it was, even though you had a gun vault, you'd have some "splainin to do.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Glad nothing serious got stolen. Where I live we have a lot of theft from vehicle. That's why all of my cars have very loud 2-way alarm systems installed that alert us from up to 1-1.5 miles if our cars have been broken into, or bumped.
    tcbrad98 and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Where do you buy a car safe for your pistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm originally from NYC. My vehicles stay locked all the time, habit. If someone tried breaking into my truck while in my driveway, my alarms will start barking and I'd be alerted.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    The thief most likely used a slim Jim. Professional rings do move through areas at times. I doubt they were specifically looking for firearms. The safe was a target of opportunity that was present after they gained entry.
    molleur, Logic and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    "Pros" would have gotten into or taken the gun safe. By what goes on around here, it was most like teens "car hopping"--going around looking for unlocked vehicles and grabbing what they can, most often change on the console, cells, and anything else not tied down. In/out/gone in seconds. We get reverse 911 calls every other week reminding us to lock vehicles as there's been a spike in vehicle burglaries.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    The cops didn't know either, but said they thought they had something electronic that was opening the doors, because everyone of the owners swears they were locked.
    Never trust anything electronic. My truck has a strictly mechanical lock, the wife's vehicle is too full of junk to find anything in less than 5 hours.
    Sturgis, ctr, kahrcarrier and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links