He dropped his Sig... (plus the scenario)

This is a discussion on He dropped his Sig... (plus the scenario) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the news release from the Spokane Sheriff's Office. A couple of my thoughts - I'm sure the age of the ammo has nothing to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He dropped his Sig... (plus the scenario)

VIP Member

He dropped his Sig... (plus the scenario)

Here's the news release from the Spokane Sheriff's Office. A couple of my thoughts - I'm sure the age of the ammo has nothing to do with performace ; I didn't know .357Sig was 7 years old (I could be wrong here) ; and how red did this guy turn, anyway ?

As a Christmas bonus, what's your tactical response while sitting/standing in a public bathroom stall and a shot is fired in the stall next to you? This is a scenario I hadn't thought about before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A 59-year-old man dropped his pistol while using the bathroom at the North Division Costco Thursday, and nearly emptied the store when the gun discharged and put a bullet into a wall.

Deputy Mark Smoldt and others were called to the store when employees reported an armed man in the menís room had fired a shot about 12:15 p.m.

A customer was just outside the gunmanís stall when he heard the shot. He looked over the top of the stall, saw the shooter fumbling with the pistol and alerted employees who began evacuating the building.

Employees talked the man out of the restroom and secured the pistol until deputies arrived.

Smoldt said the pistol was a brand new Sig-Sauer .357-caliber semi-automatic that the owner had been carrying in a shoulder holster. While pulling up his pants, the manís shirt somehow pulled the gun out of the holster.

Although designed to not fire unless the hammer is cocked, the pistol nonetheless fired when it hit the floor.

Smoldt said the owner had a valid concealed weapon permit and did nothing that would constitute a law violation. He suggested that the man return the gun to the manufacturer to have it checked for an apparent malfunction.

The single bullet fired by the weapon went into a wall that separates the menís room from the automotive service area. However, the bullet did not penetrate the wall, possibly because the ammunition was at least seven years old.
    --------------------------------------------------------

As a laugh, my brother dispatched this. He said "You don't know how bad it sounded to hear "accidental discharge while using the bathroom" broadcast over the air." Dispatchers live for that stuff.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2. Remove Ads

Wow that's a crazy situation to find yourself in.

Lead Moderator
    I wonder what model SIG it was. They are sure NOT supposed to do that!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post

Although designed to not fire unless the hammer is cocked, the pistol nonetheless fired when it hit the floor.

Geez, I carry a sig. After visiting this forum, I was convinced the only way to carry is with one in the chamber, and because Sig's are not supposed to fire without the hammer cocked, I felt okay about that.

With this, I've got to rethink that.

I really hope it was a Manufacturing defect, and not a desgin flaw.

But all in all, I guess the guy was in the right place for what most likely started flowing when his gun went off.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

First off, if I was sitting in a public restroom stall and a gun went off in the stall next to me, I wouldn't have to worry about that case of constipation...

Seven Comments...

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

#1.) A 59-year-old man dropped his pistol while using the bathroom at the North Division Costco Thursday, and nearly emptied the store when the gun discharged and put a bullet into a wall.

#2.) A customer was just outside the gunman’s stall when he heard the shot. He looked over the top of the stall, saw the shooter fumbling with the pistol and alerted employees who began evacuating the building.

#3.) Employees talked the man out of the restroom and secured the pistol until deputies arrived.

#4.) Smoldt said the pistol was a brand new Sig-Sauer .357-caliber semi-automatic that the owner had been carrying in a shoulder holster. While pulling up his pants, the man’s shirt somehow pulled the gun out of the holster.

#5.) Although designed to not fire unless the hammer is cocked, the pistol nonetheless fired when it hit the floor.

#6.) He suggested that the man return the gun to the manufacturer to have it checked for an apparent malfunction.

#7.) However, the bullet did not penetrate the wall, possibly because the ammunition was at least seven years old.

1. Dumb...very dumb!
    2. Dumb...and 'dumberer'
    3. CCW'er? let them have his pistol?...Dumb...
    4. Surrrrrrre it did...playing '007'
    5. Refer to #4...
    6. Refer to #2...
    7. Something fishy here too!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

My Opinion

Sorry but, everything in this story leads me to believe that this person was a total moron as well as a liar.

The guy had to have his SIG holstered with the hammer fully cocked...if it was in a properly de~cocked condition then it could not fire when dropped.
    Sorry it just couldn't happen.
    It's not possible with the SIG design.

Why do I suspect the guy was fiddling around with his pistol while he was sitting on the can?

Very common for a person that NDs to attempt to shift the blame to the firearm.
    I can imagine that it's an incredibly embarrassing thing to suffer a negligent discharge & folks do not like to be publicly embarrassed.

Lucky he didn't de~cock somebody else in the Mens Room with that wayward bullet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    1. Dumb...very dumb!
    2. Dumber...and 'dumberer'
    3. CCW'er? let them have his pistol?...Dumb...
    4. Surrrrrrre it did...playing '007'
    I'm with you on most of these.

1) Oops.
    2)Guaranteed my first reaction would not be to look over the top of the stall after I hear a round fired...I've heard of sheep (Ovis Aries, not Humanus Oblivious) doing smarter things than this.
    3)Giving up his pistol at this point isn't so dumb. He's guaranteed that an officer will be there momentarily, and when an officer arrives at a shots fired call, I don't want to be the guy holding the gun.
    4)More likely, yep. Sig's aren't known for their "mechanical defects". But, stranger things have happened.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I wonder what model SIG it was. They are sure NOT supposed to do that!
    They don't. I have to fess up and say that I have dropped my sig too. Picked up my IWB holster to clip back in my waistband and didn't hold in firmly. The gun slifd right out and smacked into the floor. No bang. The hammer is blocked unless the trigger is in the backmost position. Sig owners here can test that with their unloaded gun.

What I think may have happened is that the fellow may have made that most unfortunate of errors and instinctively tried to catch a falling gun . Grasping fingers and thumbs inside the trigger guard, you get the drift.

I once tried to catch a soldering iron that I dropped. Succeeded too. Dropped it again for some reason......

No, I didn't try and catch my SIG.

Lead Moderator
    probably operator error all the way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Lucky he didn't de~cock somebody else in the Mens Room with that wayward bullet.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Senior Moderator
    More than likely a negligent disharge...not an accidental.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Well, at least he didn't shoot anybody (including himself).

I've got to agree with everyone else, too: that pistol didn't fire just because it was dropped. He was fiddling with while on the can or he grabbed at it as it came out of his holster.

There's a real need to test your carry rig out to ferret out and prevent things like this....

A brand new Sig? Don't we all just love to fondle our new guns? I would suspect a ND for handling an unfamiliar gun.

Also as to bullet not penetrating wall, Most restrooms I have been in Usually have Mason block walls and depending of the angle it may not have been able to penetrate all the way through both layers.

Wonder if it help speed his "process" up talk about having the stuff scared out of you lol!!!!!
    This had to have been a ND, when I was in Law Enforcement My partner and I made a Felony Traffic Stop on an individual that instead of placing the weapon on the ground a sccoting it away from him with his foot This Goof tossed it in our direction, you would have thought the guy was trying to play horseshoes on a NFL field using the feild goal post for ringers any way once subject was detained we inspected the weapon and he has a Sig 220 that he had tossed at us and IMHO if you can toss a loaded 220 that distance with one in the chamber and it not got off either we were lucky or his gun had an opposite malfuction of so called "STALL GUY" Made us feel good know that if we did drop our guns for once reason or another that they prolly wouldnt go off since we were packing the same model pistol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links