Pizza man saved by gun

Pizza man saved by gun

This is a discussion on Pizza man saved by gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pizza man saved by gun but was fired by Pizza Hut for violating a company policy against carrying firearms. After reading this story, I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pizza man saved by gun

Pizza man saved by gun

Pizza man saved by gun but was fired by Pizza Hut for violating a company policy against carrying firearms. After reading this story, I have made my last purchase at Pizza Hut.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=38726

Damn, I eat PH all the time.

Perhaps, it is time for a change.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I have stated in another post that I deliver pizza! I have been promoted to manager and the owners also have a "go gun no way" policy. They care more about keeping customers than the life of their driver In My opinion. I carry OC spray, a gerber tac knife, and 300lbs of punching kicking beast. I know thats not nearly enough to stop a bullet but perhaps it may help.

I am currently going to school for my Bacholers in Information Systems Security and will have my own business in a few years at which point any employee who wishes to carry legally while at work is welcome at my place of employment!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Damn, I eat PH all the time.

Perhaps, it is time for a change.
    That was more than two years ago. PH was put between a rock and a wrongful death lawsuit. Tort laws and juries do not favor employers with less than strictly prohibitive weapons policies. Their only choice was to fire the dude and distance themselves from the incident or risk losing millions.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

In Butler County, Ohio (just north of Cincinnati), there was a pizza delivery guy who died after being attacked this week. As I understand it, the guy was 46 years old and had a history of heart disease. He died of an apparent heart attack immediately after the assault. Fortunately, they caught the two animals responsible and they're being charged with murder. I wish the pizza guy had been armed--maybe there would have been a happier ending.
    Last edited by eprn; December 23rd, 2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post
    I am currently going to school for my Bacholers in Information Systems Security and will have my own business in a few years at which point any employee who wishes to carry legally while at work is welcome at my place of employment!
    For me, that would depend on the employee, and whether my insurance provider would cover my business in the event of a lawsuit resulting from an armed employee busting caps while on the clock.

Seems To Me...

That this is not the first time PH has done this...can't remember the last episode, but I do recall taking PH off of my places to spend ANY money...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I remember one from the early nineties. I still see nothing wrong with their actions. Pizza delivery is extremely risky even armed. If that's your chosen profession, then you have to accept the risks - and if you choose to work for an outfit with a 'no weapons' policy, you have to accept the consequences of carrying a weapon on the clock. Besides, firing the dude was probably like giving him a raise.
    Last edited by lowflyer; December 23rd, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

lawflyer is right. The delivery guy took the job and knew what would happen if he was discovered carrying. He carried in spite of the rules. As it turns out, he needed his gun and is alive and well, just unemployed. It is his own fault for taking a job with a company that prohibited carry; he knew it..

He wants to go back into the pizza delivery business, but I wonder how many other companies are willing to hire a person who knowingly violate the rules on what the company considers a critical matter?

I agree with his actions for carrying and I agree with PH for firing him given that he violated the rules. You's places your bets and you's takes your chances.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna disagree with you on this one...

the company is wrong.

I used to own and operate a pizza shop, and all of our drivers and employees carried if they wanted.

Having to shoot someone is not fun, I am speaking from experience, Pizza Hut gets none of my business. They need to change their policies and the state needs to change their laws. Florida has it figured out.

In this instance Indiana believed that the driver was justified.

The "right" of self-defense is not something which should be negotiable, that being said, perhaps there is some middle ground? A bond that could be purchased to indemnify the employer? or the legislature could efectively indemnify the company by dissallowing "respondeat Superior" in self defense and justifiable homocide cases?

(or better yet, removing the ability of persons to bring tort suits in cases where the plaintiff was involved in criminal activity at the time of the injury)

(my local PH stopped accepting checks! lost 30% of their busuness overnight, wonder what they were thinking?)

Been there, done that.

There is no corporate rule or statute
    which trumps the value of my life.

But if you disagree, I won't try arguing the
    value of YOUR life.

--Travis--

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Been there, done that.

There is no corporate rule or statute
    which trumps the value of my life.

But if you disagree, I won't try arguing the
    value of YOUR life.

--Travis--
    I agree with you Travis, about a corporate rule not trumping my life's value....

I kind of have to wonder, though, why this guy would want to work for a company that made their position pretty clear. In other versions of this story that I've read, they indicate that Honeycut knew PH's rule against carrying but ignored it.

I could see maybe pushing the rule if it were the only job in your field, but pizza delivery is pretty much the same from pizza place to pizza place, and it just seems to me that if you want a paycheck from someone, that you should follow their rules... don't like 'em? find a different place to get a paycheck. I've done it for less important principals that carrying....

I dunno... maybe I'm just weird.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Everyplace is different.

I worked for the biggest outfit in Milwaukee, payroll over 100, and gross revenue probably over 400K per year.

It was pretty fair income.

I worked for the most lucrative PJ in Valley of the Sunstroke in AZ. Better income at that location, than most similar places in the area.

The thing most places DO have in common is the corporate willingness to sacrifice MY life, in preference to the possibility of getting sued by the family of a robber.

I "felt" safe in AZ.... and I did not arm myself, and I had $ 30K in surgery to rectify injuries I took in an attack there. Could have been far worse.

I didn't whine about it, I dealt with it.

Plenty of stationary businesses will have similar rules.

Personally, I don't feel obligated by rules which define me as a disposable human being.

I realize that the corporation will exploit me to its advantage, I have no qualms about breaking rules and protecting my own life.

That's my take

--Travis--

that's one job i would not do, gun or no gun. just one job i don't think i would do.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    Sorry guys, I'm gonna disagree with you on this one...

the company is wrong.

I used to own and operate a pizza shop, and all of our drivers and employees carried if they wanted.

Having to shoot someone is not fun, I am speaking from experience, Pizza Hut gets none of my business. They need to change their policies and the state needs to change their laws. Florida has it figured out.

In this instance Indiana believed that the driver was justified.

The "right" of self-defense is not something which should be negotiable, that being said, perhaps there is some middle ground? A bond that could be purchased to indemnify the employer? or the legislature could efectively indemnify the company by dissallowing "respondeat Superior" in self defense and justifiable homocide cases?

(or better yet, removing the ability of persons to bring tort suits in cases where the plaintiff was involved in criminal activity at the time of the injury)

(my local PH stopped accepting checks! lost 30% of their busuness overnight, wonder what they were thinking?)
    I agree that tort reform is needed. I also agree that the driver was well within his rights and I commend him for exercising those rights knowing that his job was at risk should he be caught. I just think PH didn't owe him a job after he clearly violated their policy.

I see justification in the policy because as a business owner you have to do what is in the best interest of the business first and worry about everything else second. Failing to do that will quickly end your ability to employ anybody.

In addition, and no offense to you personally, but I am guessing that your pizza business was not a national chain. You have to understand that lawyers go for deep pockets. You were more likely to get away with having an employee commit justifiable homicide than Pizza Hut. However, just because you allowed your employees to carry (and I think that is awesome) did not exempt you from the fact that there would likely have been grave consequences to your business had one of them had, for example, a ND that resulted in personal injury or property damage while on duty in your employ.

That said, there are plenty of good reasons for personally boycotting a particular business. I just think this one is silly because, given our litigious society and current laws, the business hasn't much choice in the matter. You might as well live in a cave and not spend money anywhere since most workplaces have strict 'no weapons' policies. Name a single national restaurant chain that allows its employees to carry. Don't buy anything from any national retailer since they generally have 'no weapons' policies for their employees. I have never known any car dealerships to allow salesmen to carry either. etc...etc...etc...

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links