I carried into Illinois today

This is a discussion on I carried into Illinois today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today was a perfect day for your favorite day. Actually, I do like those kinds of days....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I carried into Illinois today

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Today was a perfect day for your favorite day.

Actually, I do like those kinds of days.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    Never going to happen Il wants your money. I'm surprised any other state recognizes Il because they won't recognize anyone.
    The only states that recognize IL permit are the ones who recognize all states. They also recognize upstanding 2A friendly places like IL, NY, NJ, MA, CA....I'm sure I left out a few.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    According to Illinois Law, non-resident permits may only be issued to permit holders from States with concealed carry laws similar to those in Illinois. So far only one State has been identified as having similar laws - Hawaii, I'll give you one guess as to how many Hawaii concealed carried permit holders there are who may apply for an Illinois Concealed carry permit.
    Yes, I have seen that. Never-issue Hawaii is similar to "shall-issue" Illinois? No; any other shall-issue state would be more similar. Non-resident applicants must be from a state that has "substantially similar" CC laws. Irrelevant! No matter what the other state's laws are, the applicant has received mandatory training in Illinois law and must obey Illinois law when in that state.

This is just one more specious argument inserted by the IL antis, who are naturally fighting to the last ditch. IL got the new CC law only because of a circuit court decision, and future changes will only happen the same way. More lawsuits are being hatched now.

IL didn't even start taking on-line (only way you can apply right now) applications until Jan 5th. So they have 3 months for those who get the livescan fingerprinting done and 4 months for those who don't. So, yeah.....April 5th, 2014 would be the soonest they issue a CCL.

I am not sure but CCW class instructors may have been issued their CCL already. But they most likely have only had it since late summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Is that the new Chain of Rocks bridge?
    It's the new Stan Musial/Veterans Memorial bridge crossing the Mississippi into St Louis. It looks a little like the Clark Bridge, which crosses the Mississippi at Alton, about 15 mile north of St Louis.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

They will drag their feet as long as possible and create as many hassles as they can before the permits start being issued.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

You are absolutely right, Crescentstar!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan View Post
    IL didn't even start taking on-line (only way you can apply right now) applications until Jan 5th. So they have 3 months for those who get the livescan fingerprinting done and 4 months for those who don't. So, yeah.....April 5th, 2014 would be the soonest they issue a CCL.

I am not sure but CCW class instructors may have been issued their CCL already. But they most likely have only had it since late summer 2013

I haven't heard of any instructors getting a CCW yet, they were only allowed to apply in December, not that much ahead of other folks.

Sfreed mentioned in post #4 that now his wife doesn't need to put her handgun in the trunk when visiting Illinois. No need to put your handgun in the trunk if transporting with or without a CCW. It only needs to be unloaded and encased and a loaded magazine can be in the case, just not in the gun. The console or glove box is considered a case as is any other container that completely encloses and conceals the handgun. If you have your states CCW you can carry it loaded in the vehicle and could transport it unloaded if you leave the vehicle, say in a fanny pack, purse or other case.

A bill has been introduced (HB3650) to recognize the following states CCW licenses, Az,Ca,Fl, Oh, Ky,Mi, Mo, Nm,Oh, Tn, Tx and Wi. My guess is it is probably too soon for such a bill to pass, maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan View Post

I haven't heard of any instructors getting a CCW yet, they were only allowed to apply in December, not that much ahead of other folks.

Sfreed mentioned in post #4 that now his wife doesn't need to put her handgun in the trunk when visiting Illinois. No need to put your handgun in the trunk if transporting with or without a CCW. It only needs to be unloaded and encased and a loaded magazine can be in the case, just not in the gun. The console or glove box is considered a case as is any other container that completely encloses and conceals the handgun. If you have your states CCW you can carry it loaded in the vehicle and could transport it unloaded if you leave the vehicle, say in a fanny pack, purse or other case.

A bill has been introduced (HB3650) to recognize the following states CCW licenses, Az,Ca,Fl, Oh, Ky,Mi, Mo, Nm,Oh, Tn, Tx and Wi. My guess is it is probably too soon for such a bill to pass, maybe next year.

My wife is originally from Springfield, IL the REAL Capital of the State, not Chicago.

Before the law to allow concealed carry permits was "forced" upon the Chicago political mechanism, we would make the occasional foray to her peeps for family visits. Her mom still lives and so does her older son. The younger one moved to Kentucky and has his KY permit, several firearms and on his 2 acre place has a "target" board set up. He occasionally goes back home too, armed of course.

We have had to abide by the severe restrictions that Illinois has placed on law-abiding gun owners from not only their State but from others. I was glad to see that finally someone forced the tyrants in Chicago to allow their citizens to rightfully carry with a permit. Illinois is not all gun-hating people, I know many who absolutely hate the folks in Chicago who exert influence in that area for no good reason whatsoever except for one thing.......control.

I am hoping that Illinois will have reciprocity with other states after they see the folly of not having CCW permits and that the horrors the Leftists say will happen simply won't. Some of my wife's friends are even wanting to apply, one of them at our family get-together last December got a new .45 1911 and gave me and my step son the 9mm & .380 ammo that he had because he no longer has the pistols to fire it.

So there IS hope for Illinois citizens. Especially if they can convince Chicago to secede from the state and be on its own. That way Illinois can be "free at last."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I just checked at hangunlaw.us and Illinois is still red for all surrounding states and my state of NC. As for me, I would break it down into the Federal transport scenario before entering.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    My wife is originally from Springfield, IL the REAL Capital of the State, not Chicago.

Before the law to allow concealed carry permits was "forced" upon the Chicago political mechanism, we would make the occasional foray to her peeps for family visits. Her mom still lives and so does her older son. The younger one moved to Kentucky and has his KY permit, several firearms and on his 2 acre place has a "target" board set up. He occasionally goes back home too, armed of course.

We have had to abide by the severe restrictions that Illinois has placed on law-abiding gun owners from not only their State but from others. I was glad to see that finally someone forced the tyrants in Chicago to allow their citizens to rightfully carry with a permit. Illinois is not all gun-hating people, I know many who absolutely hate the folks in Chicago who exert influence in that area for no good reason whatsoever except for one thing.......control.

I am hoping that Illinois will have reciprocity with other states after they see the folly of not having CCW permits and that the horrors the Leftists say will happen simply won't. Some of my wife's friends are even wanting to apply, one of them at our family get-together last December got a new .45 1911 and gave me and my step son the 9mm & .380 ammo that he had because he no longer has the pistols to fire it.

So there IS hope for Illinois citizens. Especially if they can convince Chicago to secede from the state and be on its own. That way Illinois can be "free at last."
    Wasn't just Chicago, pretty much statewide, just because a politician say he's pro gun does not mean he is.

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing your experience and that's a great pic. I had to fly to Illinois for a business meeting yesterday, so, unfortunately, I had to disarm and left my carry gun at home. I did vent to my wife that it's ironic that driving, which is a privilege, is legal in all 50 states with a license from any state, but carrying a gun, which is a right, does not have that same reciprocity.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience and that's a great pic. I had to fly to Illinois for a business meeting yesterday, so, unfortunately, I had to disarm and left my carry gun at home. I did vent to my wife that it's ironic that driving, which is a privilege, is legal in all 50 states with a license from any state, but carrying a gun, which is a right, does not have that same reciprocity.
    I know how you feel, I drove to Maryland last weekend, because of their laws my carry gun had to stay at home, I couldn't legally have it in my possession in Maryland so I was deprived of it in the 5 states I drove through where I could legally carry. I wonder if there would be any money in a business offering secure gun storage lockers on the borders of states where you can't carry?

And if anyone here starts such a business, it was my idea and I want a cut!

D.C. now needs a CCW permit program.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links