Conceal carry for a woman with a revolver

This is a discussion on Conceal carry for a woman with a revolver within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for the fellow ladies out there (and men who have wives or girlfriends they can ask or speak for). I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Conceal carry for a woman with a revolver

I have a question for the fellow ladies out there (and men who have wives or girlfriends they can ask or speak for). I'm looking to buy my first handgun soon. I've pretty much settled on getting a revolver. My two favorites right now are the Smith and Wesson model 60 (.357 with a 3" barrel) and Ruger sp 101 (model 5719). I shot both this weekend (although the Ruger was the 5771), as well as a number of other revolvers (and a glock 26, which I hated). I love that because of the weight and barrel length of these guns, they're more manageable than anything else I shot. I also like the option to shoot .38 or .357 and that they're both single- or double action.

My question is this: Do any ladies out there carry either of these guns? How easy is it to conceal carry something of this size, and what kind of holster(s) do you use to do so?

(I'm 5'4, and a proportional size 14)

As an additional question to the men out there (or really anyone, because I'm sure most of you know more than I do): What other brands/models that are similar to these two could you recommend for conceal carry (preferably on-body)?

Some good ideas, articles here: CorneredCat.com. Kathy Jackson is a member here on the forums, a mom and defense/firearms enthusiast and trainer. Writes on the subject quite a bit. Has carried "big iron" previously. Check the "Articles" section, specifically on "Choosing Holsters."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another place to look is The Well-armed Woman. There are lots of holster videos on the sight. This website might be able to answer a lot of your questions.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    My wife likes the simplicity of a Smith & Wesson 442 in a Remora holster. It takes practice, but she can put 5 shots on an 8" paper plate at 7 yards. That's all you need.

Then there's the reload.

We use 6 round speed strips with the middle hole left empty. Load 2, skip a space, then load 3. For a 5 shot revolver, it gives you an easy 1 or 2 shot reload. To reload 4, you load the double, then 2 from the triple. But that may be a little down the road for beginner shooters. Just remember, reloading is an important skill as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Both guns mentioned are good options. In the S&W line any of the J frame guns would work equally well. In the Ruger line, you might also want to look at the GP100 model #1715. While heavier than the SP101, by 9 oz., it gives you a 6 shot capacity versus 5 shot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I just picked up 5 stars speed loaders, milled aluminum and they work with the combat grips I have on #1 Daughter's Model 36. Downside, they are $19.95 a pop.
    Prior to this I had speed strips set up as Nmuskier has on his. Either way works. It is a matter of practice.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

I'll let everyone else tell you what THEY prefer, or what THEY think you should carry. What YOU prefer, is what you should purchase.

Welcome to the forum!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    My ex carries a S&W 36 with a Tyler T grip in a crossdraw holster from Bullard holsters.

She is a wicked good shot with that .38.

I am not a women so sorry...

But I have fired/carry a lot of wheel guns .. If you are getting a 640 get the pro model it has night sigts and is ready for moonclips the nightsigts alone are a big + in my book... It is a heavier gun though I would not want to carry it much that way. in the pocket .. A 642 or 638 s&w are both great pocket/purse whatever guns but will not fire 357 .. If you put better grips on they are pretty easy to shoot at least for defensive purpose ... I like the Paycmare compact grips so far for carry..

Of the two I will say the 640 is a smaller and slighty lighter gun ...

What I think you should ask is this ... How do your dress and what would be the most comffy way you can carry these .. Look at the two websites listed lot of good ideas ...

Both these guns will need a good holster and more then likly a good belt to keep them up esp the rugers ... Neither one in my book is a stick in pocket and go gun .....imop

Of the two the ruger is the softest to shoot esp with 38spec and are stury well built guns ....

Also I like the new ruger LCRX have you looked at that yet .. As of now only 38+p but I bet you it will be in 357 mag soon ....

A lady I know carries a 38 + p ladysmith and she has no problems with it ... Not tried much +P though
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I will add for a gun that will fire anything and survive anything the ruger is mychoice ... It is built like a tank .. Also weights one too...

This is a gun that I would fire the molten hot mantoper buffole bore in the +P+ stuff .. The 640 to me is a fire a lot of 38s and a little 357 gun just imop .. I love them both and would not get rid of either one though ...

YWMV though

Again it is about what you what to fire and carry .. For me 38 special is either and cheaper to find then 357 mag .. So that is what I mostly shoot though I carry 357 mag JSP or such
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    IMHO, IF you are going to want a range gun AND a concealed carry firearm, then get one of these, provided you shoot them well.
    If you are looking at primarily just carrying this firearm, and will train with it but only to carry, and you will have other revolvers at your disposal for plinking/range, then get something lighter, but still manageable to shoot.
    You may be better served getting a lighter weight .357(not all steel) and using Gold Dot Short Barrel 135grain +P ammo for SD.

Cornered Cat is a very valuable resource for EVERYBODY, but especially women and young adults.
    Good luck hammygirl.

EDIT:

My 71 year old mom CC's a S&W 642(.38 cal) No hammer.
    I have its cousin the 637(W/hammer) and they shoot fine, & are light enough to carry all day.
    hammygirl likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I have a model 60 with a shorter barrel, which makes it easier to conceal. I am your height, but smaller size in clothing. However, when I used to wear size 14 I could conceal a model 686 which is quite a bit larger and heavier. I think of those two guns as Big Sister and Little Sister.

I use a Remora for my model 60 snubbie, but do not think a Remora holster would be the best thing for the 3" barrel. I would much prefer a holster that actually attached to a good heavy gun belt which would take care of the "weight of the gun" problem.

You need a gun that is comfortable to shoot A LOT so you will become really proficient with it for self defense: Personally, those light weight revolvers that a lot of people recommend tear my hands up when I try to shoot them. Give me the weight and recoil absorbing properties of the stainless steel any day!!! And the 3" barrel length makes it easier to shoot accurately from the "git go".

I've never shot a Ruger but have looked at them in gun stores and they are mighty nice guns indeed. Long trigger pull, but it's all what you get used to handling. If I could justify having another revolver in addition to the two S&W's I now own and love, it would be a Ruger just for some variety in my "family of girls".

I also carry a Glock 26, but you said you did not like that at all, so 'nuff said there.

The web sites for women recommended by other posters will be very helpful for you.
    hammygirl, BobR1 and GWarden like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammygirl View Post
    I have a question for the fellow ladies out there (and men who have wives or girlfriends they can ask or speak for). I'm looking to buy my first handgun soon. I've pretty much settled on getting a revolver. My two favorites right now are the Smith and Wesson model 60 (.357 with a 3" barrel) and Ruger sp 101 (model 5719). I shot both this weekend (although the Ruger was the 5771), as well as a number of other revolvers (and a glock 26, which I hated). I love that because of the weight and barrel length of these guns, they're more manageable than anything else I shot. I also like the option to shoot .38 or .357 and that they're both single- or double action.

My question is this: Do any ladies out there carry either of these guns? How easy is it to conceal carry something of this size, and what kind of holster(s) do you use to do so?

(I'm 5'4, and a proportional size 14)

As an additional question to the men out there (or really anyone, because I'm sure most of you know more than I do): What other brands/models that are similar to these two could you recommend for conceal carry (preferably on-body)?
    As mentioned above, Cornered Cat & c. are good resources for women.

A 3 inch revolver will not conceal as well as a regular snubby, but will be a bit easier to shoot.

For Smith revolvers, there are many j-frame options in addition to the 3 inch version:

Long version:

Scandium J-frames: J frame "magnum" frame made of scandium. 11.5 ounces. Can shoot .357's. Lots of fun for mere mortals that love pain. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE GUNS.

Airweight j-frame: .38 Only, aluminum frame. 15.5 ounces. A little sporty with .38 +p's but not bad. Great for lightweight carry

J-frame ".38 frame": Model 36, model 60 no dash, 60-3, 60-7: 19.5 ounces - Tames .38 +p's, but heavier than the airweights.

J-Frame "Magnum" frame: Model 60-9, 60-14, 640-1, etc. Current offerings w/lock, except for 640 Pro. 22.5 Ounces. For me, still pretty sporty with full house .357's. Makes me flinch. I can't shoot them accurately as I can with .38's.

Short version: I just go with .38's and call it good.

For holsters/carry:

This is a popular video by a person going by Falia:

A lady on this forum (MrsHB) had a "neutral" recommendation on a N82 (pronounced "Nate Squared") holster for a j-frame I have one and it is very comfortable. A tread about it is here: N82 Holster for J-Frame (with pictures)

Some people like Sticky or Remora holsters, but I have a lady friend for which these holsters do not work well. Her pants do not have belts, and the gun is about 21 ounces, so perhaps there is not enough friction from the pants on the holster.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    hammygirl and Sister like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I don't carry a revolver, but I do absolutely LOVE my Remora holsters. The best part about them to me is that they're so adaptable. I got the thigh holster option for one of my weapons and have been able to use it in several more than the three ways listed on the Remora holster. I wear dresses most of the time, so IWB is not an option most of the time. Yet, when I do wear pants - yoga or jeans - my Remora can go IWB. I've carried on my thigh, in my boot, IWB, modified shoulder (cross-draw under my left arm tucked inside the side of my bra), in my purse (not my preferred method), in my car, and even now am using my thigh adaptor strap on the headboard of my bed with a different hook-and-loop fastener holster. My preferred carry weapon is the S&W BodyGuard 380. My preferred position is under my left arm. I've carried my Remora in this position for more than a year (but not everyday) with no signs of wear and absolutely no care. I recently upgraded to the Full Sweat Shield non-thigh holster for my BodyGuard. In retrospect, I probably should have gone for the thigh holster option, but both my S&W BG and my Taurus PT125 fit in the same Remora holster - meaning I can switch as I wish. Good luck!
    hammygirl likes this.

Hi and welcome!

My girl loves her Ruger sp101. It's her every day carry.

She uses a purse most of the time - one of the ones made with a "secret" pocket for the gun. She carries it across the shoulder and when she's by herself and gets sketched out or is in a big parking lot or whatever - she unzips the backside and literally holds the grip of the gun for super fast access. To the casual observer she looks like a woman with her hand on her purse. There are tons of styles and sizes to choose from. Check out the websites mentioned above or check out a local gun shop - they will have some you can handle etc.

She also has the "spanx" type undergarment she uses sometimes as well. She got the ones with 2 back pockets - the gun goes kinda between her hip and her kidney on either side. Perfect for walking or jogging or whatever.

You can shoot .38 all day long - it's fun - hardly any recoil. She loves practicing with it. I shoot it too - its awesome. She loads it with .38+P hollow points for defense.

Go to a local shop and handle one - a range might even have one you can rent.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide on!
    hammygirl likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links